Last One on 72mHz?

Fred

Am I the last guy on 72mHz?

I'm embarrased to admit it but I have the 2.4gHz equipment, but the old stuff is in the planes and it's working.

TManiaci

Engineer
Lifetime Supporter
You're not alone Fred. I'm still doing 72MHz too. Just not excited about spending so damn much to convert. I want a JR 12X, and that is one expensive transmitter. Then I'll need eight receivers to go with. Everything works great now, I don't have to share my channel any more, I am glitch free on every one of my aircraft and it's all comfortable. Why spend near $2000 to fix something that isn't broken... I will make the transition, but I'm waiting for a deal to come along from some poor jobless guy that is selling out cheap. I know, frikk'in vulture... but it works.

Rabbit Ron

Circus Staff
I'm flying 72 MHZ still for 2 reasons 1 I haven't wanted to spend the money and 2 every field I go to there's usually only 3 or 4 people on the board.

BRUTUS

Plank Junky
Lifetime Supporter
Me too. But it is nice so many people are going 2.4;)

I'm saving my dough. My girl has a DX7 and a few receivers if I ever need to go that way. But right now my 72 stuff is still working great!

sandman

You're not alone Fred. I'm still doing 72MHz too. Just not excited about spending so damn much to convert. I want a JR 12X, and that is one expensive transmitter. Then I'll need eight receivers to go with. Everything works great now, I don't have to share my channel any more, I am glitch free on every one of my aircraft and it's all comfortable. Why spend near $2000 to fix something that isn't broken... I will make the transition, but I'm waiting for a deal to come along from some poor jobless guy that is selling out cheap. I know, frikk'in vulture... but it works.
Ditto!

Dean Bird

Lifetime Supporter

I'm embarrased to admit it but I have the 2.4gHz equipment, but the old stuff is in the planes and it's working.
I use a DX 7 for my small electric stuff, but my big planes are still on 72 mHz.

Never a frequency conflict!!!

Tired Old Man

Staff member

I have the same conditions. Why fix it if it isn't broken? Plus you have to pull receivers and re-learn how to set them up and dial the planes in all over again. Don't have the time for it.

Buttface

You want me to do what...?
Did you have bad luck with it?
XPS is an independent company.
Me and almost everyone that used it have had bad experiences. I was flying my 3.2m J-Tec when the ignition went out and on intermittently. The XPS advertised as being totally immune to any aircraft generated interference and outside interference DECIDED TO GO INTO LOCK OUT! The plane dropped lots of altitude flipping and fopping until I regained control for a second intermittently enough to grease it in on the runway.
A buddy of mine HAD a new jet with a 72 MHz receiver in it for a few flights.....switched over to XPS 2.4 receiver in it and he managed to get 2 minutes into the flight when his went strait in . He ended up with a $9,000 pile of carnage.
There have been various heated threads about "XPS hopping" as advertised .Tests where done by experienced independent third partys and proved the product DOESN'T HOP.
After people started getting lockout form interference oddly enough the advertisement pitch (main selling point) was removed from the page. Now you will not see "Totally immune to any aircraft generated interference and outside interference" in the add.
The owner also apparently had some scammy paint ball gun products that he made false claims in his advertising on also in the past. The guys is a real slime ball.:maad:

By the way I sent mine back and was told it was defective. He sent me a new one ....GREAT customer service!And a super nice guy . I sold my new one...end of story....been using my Futaba FASST every since without a single problem. This time I had another ignition go nutty on me and I never lost signal....flew it in confidently.

As we all know there ARE "Xtremists" out there....(pun intended)
So I expect a few XPS DIE HARDS to wine about this post ....but they will be that of a bug buzzing in MY ear...They can stick up for a product that doesn't work all they want...for what ever reason. But I am smart enough to know when its time to move on.
http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/xpshopping.shtml

Last edited:

Mithrandir

Circus Staff
Lifetime Supporter
I know personally of two people who used XPS at the vegas field, and they experianced challenges.... they were using prototype equipment.... not sure what the issue was... but other then that, I have never seen any XPS equipment...

I heard that the one of the Jet events banned XPS... is that rubbish or does anyone know if it is true???

seems like more product options would make the whole industry more competitive no?

TManiaci

Engineer
Lifetime Supporter
I bought XPS at that Vegas event in 2006. With all the troubles people were having, never installed it in anything. Still have the Rx and JR Tx module. For Sale cheap...

Mithrandir

Circus Staff
Lifetime Supporter
Jim Drew says he is selling the crap out of these things.... and I thought these were being repackaged for JR use in countries where the Sprectum stuff was not suitable....

are planes falling out of the sky there???
Are the current systems reliable??

Buttface

You want me to do what...?
Jim Drew says he is selling the crap out of these things....
Are the current systems reliable??
Jim has said allot that ain't true.
I wouldn't bet $9,000. on it.
OK for glow planes thogh.....
Even If the crap is finally reliable I wouldn't buy a product from a man that intentionally deceived thousands of people with hype and lies. However he dose have a very nice personality ....He is a charming con man.:p

If it was never proven by third partys the system didn't hop as Jim claims. He would have never been forced to make changes to the product.He left it up to third partys to disprove his claims while diligent denying his claims where false. I don't know what changes he made after his claims where proven false and if it made it more reliable and I don't care. I need to stop thinking about him... His antics me angry .:boxing:

I wouldn't doubt it if others see this talk about XPS and are tempted to get a few more diggs in them selves....I hope I didn't taint this thread.
Its like bringing up problems you had with a Ford in a Ferrari thread.

Last edited: