Jr 11x Q&A here.

Discussion in 'Giant RC Plane Forum' started by Chad H, Nov 13, 2010.

Help Support Team Flying Circus by donating:

1. Sep 16, 2011 #61

james

james

james

in my 9303 manual i believe it said that fully charged 3s battery is to high of voltage and it can overheat the rf deck. i have even talked to some service guys there and they said the same thing. if the rf deck overheats you loose your range. charging a lipo to 11v is probably the best and safest route to go.

2. Sep 16, 2011 #62

Classclown

Classclown

Classclown

That's why I've been charging mine to 11.6- 11.7. A few take it all the way to 12.6 and have not had any problems, but the way I see it, the TX never had a glitch with the stock battery fully charged, which was 11.6, hell, the lipo still lasts a lot longer than that old joke of a battery that still comes with the Tx's.

3. Sep 16, 2011 #63

james

james

james

i might start doing that also. i never had any issues with the stock battery, but i also have a fast charger for the transmitter battery also. but since it doesn't last as long in the 11X vs my old 9303 i have been thinking of a li-ion or li-po instead. does it hurt the li-po's or li-ions to not fully charge them?

4. Sep 16, 2011 #64

TManiaci

TManiaci

TManiaci

Engineer Lifetime Supporter

Yea, you know the LiPoly Tx battery thing is old news, been going on for years already. You would think the designers would accommodate that better, since we're only talking about some minor voltage regulator tweaks to handle higher voltages. I have a product I designed 10 years ago, uses a 12V DC sealed lead-acid battery. I required a voltage capacity on the input to take up to 36 volts just to be safe. It cost nearly nothing to provide that flexibility.

Sometimes you have to wonder about product designers. Are they even participating in the hobby? Don't they talk to anyone that knows what's going on. Very disappointing...

5. Sep 16, 2011 #65

james

james

james

i agree with you. you would think they would think of that stuff. even if you could just use a 2s lipo like the dx8.

6. Sep 16, 2011 #66

Classclown

Classclown

Classclown

No, partially charging a lipo or lithium ion will not hurt them at all. They should even last longer. But!!! Make sure that you let your balancer finish balancing each of the cells when the charger stops, before you unplug the battery from the charger. Do not charge the lipo in the Tx, or in the model, but that's common lipo knowledge.

7. Sep 22, 2011 #67

Nofuss

Nofuss

Nofuss

Guys,

There's a very easy way around this,actually, there's two options.
    1) Just use a LiFe 3S battery as this can be charged through the Tx's port straight, and fully charged itvs only around 10V settling quickly on 9.9V for a looong time.
    2) Use a general purpose diode soldered in the positive line fro a 3S LiPo bat. The diode ensures a 0.7V drop without the drawbacks of a resistor loading the bat. Thebpn take the LiPo out to charge and charge till full capacity.

Regards
    Danie:crazy:

8. Oct 12, 2011 #68

sty181

sty181

sty181

how do you get the timer to start with the throttle , I can not find the screen to select the throttle.

Thanks Brad

9. Oct 12, 2011 #69

1BWANA1

1BWANA1

1BWANA1

First you must set up a STICK POSITION SWITCH to trigger when the the Throttle is in the position you want. There is a STICK POS SW item in the Menu for doing this. Once you have this switch set up, it will appear in your timmers swith selection screen.

10. Oct 12, 2011 #70

Chad H

Chad H

Chad H

Passin` Gas

I have been using the throttle activated timer all summer, and I tell you it is awesome. No more forgetting to start the timer like I used too. One less thing to worry about and one less little thing that could cause me to lose my plane.

Works awesome for both my gas and electric planes. I use two countdown timers, a minute apart, one to tell me to land, and the second telling me I`m cutting my reserve pretty close.

My friend`s new DX8 has it also and we are using it on his trainer too.

Combine the switch timer, with a lipo, and this being my first 2.4 radio (no more frequency checks) has made my flying way more enjoyable removing my chances of error greatly.

I am also loving the assignable switches for my rates. I have all 3 on the one left flap switch so I can knock it back quick out of 3D rates when things get squirrely lol.

I found it is a lot thinner in the grips than my ancient PCM10, and I had to lengthen the sticks way out so they sat properly on the end of my thumb. I always shortened the sticks as much as possible on my old TX`s.

I am in love this radio! (Just don`t tell my girlfriend ;) ) And I am going to have a really hard time in a month or so mailing it in, out of my hands to have it upgraded to DSMX. It will seem like a long, long wait.

11. Oct 13, 2011 #71

sty181

sty181

sty181

that worked . when you know all the steps and get them in the right order it is easy.
    thanks for your help.

Brad

12. Feb 11, 2012 #72

PropsnWings

PropsnWings

PropsnWings

So for Rx's I need to convert my old fleet over from 72Mhz. Nothing spectacular in this fleet, planes like Pitts Special(62cc) Sig Rascal 110, Lanier 1/4 Taylorcraft, SIG Spacewalker, ect....

I was looking at the Spektrum sport model Rx ... as I dont need tons of channels for these ol birds. Thoughts ?

13. Feb 11, 2012 #73

james

james

james

what is the sport models? i would stick with any reciever that says it's a full range reciever. i have no experience with the ar600 but ar6200 and up have all worked well for me.

14. Feb 11, 2012 #74

PropsnWings

PropsnWings

PropsnWings

15. Feb 11, 2012 #75

Bunky f. knuckle

Bunky f. knuckle

Bunky f. knuckle

Cover shot, MA 10/09!!!

AR 6200 or 6210 DSMX for all. I fly the 6210 in a Sweet Stick, and it has been flawless!!!

16. Feb 11, 2012 #76

yakken

yakken

yakken

since the new 11x is dsmx. will that be a problem using the rx that i use with my dx7 which is dsm. i know i asked this question before but i think it was before the dsmx came out. thanks

17. Feb 11, 2012 #77

Classclown

Classclown

Classclown

Yep, DSMXworks on DSM2, but not the other way around. But I don't know if a DSMX satelite will work on a DSM2(or vice versa)Rx.

18. Feb 11, 2012 #78

james

james

james

a dsmx transmitter will work with dsmx and dms2 recievers. a dsm2 transmitter will work with dsmx and dsm2 recivers. if the reciever is dsm2, a dsm2 sat is required. if the reciever dsmx, a dsmx sat is required.

19. Feb 11, 2012 #79

james

james

james

i know the ar600 replaced the ar500 that horizon was having issues with. i don't have any experience with the ar600 yet. but they seem to market it towards the full range foam planes. i have used the ar6210 and they work great. in fact i have one in my LT40 float plane and i can fly it very far off the water which is a harsh rf environment. i don't want to say don't use the ar600, but i have yet to hear anything bad about them either.

20. Feb 11, 2012 #80

Bunky f. knuckle

Bunky f. knuckle

Bunky f. knuckle

Cover shot, MA 10/09!!!

yup!!!!