Jr 11x Q&A here.

Discussion in 'Radios' started by Chad H, Nov 14, 2010.

Help Support Team Flying Circus by donating using the link above.
  1. Nov 14, 2010 #1

Chad H

Chad H

Chad H

Passin` Gas

I done a search here in the "2.4 Arena" for anything on the new JR 11X, and did not see anything, so I want to start a thread on this TX for a place to post info or questions on it for the benifit of all.

I have been a JR user since 1989, and have had awsome reliability with their products. I have never had one glitch, problem, or malfunction with their stuff after all this time. So I am sticking with the JR/Spektrum product line.

I just purchased a 11X yesterday, but will not become familiar with it until later this winter when I install some RX`s in my 50cc, a few glow-tards, and hopefully a new 30cc.

I was way, way overdue for a new TX, as my old 72mhz PCM10 is really getting tired. I wanted to switch to 2.4, to have the security of not being shot down if I get invited to a larger club or go to a meet, to have access to Spektrumm/JR`s twenty three or more RX`s in their line up, to have 2048 resolution, and be able to pick up the odd Horizon Bind N` Fly foamie.

I wanted one TX to serve all my needs, either it be a GS gassie, a park flier, to a little indoor fart. Just one set of TX batteries to maintain, and one TX case to not leave behind in the basement before leaving for the strip.

I am on a budget like most of you, and this choice was going to have to be a right one for a long, long time.

I was waiting also this summer for the release of the Spektrum DX8, but for me, I would rather have more chanells and other features rather than the telementry options. I heard about the 11X before the 9503 was coming out, and saved up the extra coin for it instead because of all the extra options it would give me.

Things like: SD card for software updates and model memory, switch assignability, model match safety feature, no less than six mixes, servo balancing (no matchboxes), stick switching capability for things like shutting off the smoke pump when throttle is at say 15% or a timer, 3 seperate timers, a "favourites list" you can use for each model instead of searching through the whole list of fuctions for what you most commanly use, back lit high resolution screen, ect ect.

I also like the appearance of it. It is completely against the grain of not only JR`s usual understated styling of the past, but way different than other manufactures look. It`s easy to clean too with minimal knooks and crannys for dust and grime to get into. I think it`s a breath of fresh air for JR.

I really like how it feels and balances in my hands. It`s wider and flater than what I am used too. It has recessed grooves in the back for my fingers to grip. It balances perfectly on the neck strap with out no extrs gizzmo`s needed. And all switches and sliders seem to be able to be used with just a thought, more than a movement of your fingers. Plus the gimbals feel really precise.

My knowledge of this radio will have to grow as I get familiar with it, and hopefully also with the experiance of others who will share it with us on the Circus here as this thread hopefully grows. :WELCOME:

2. Nov 14, 2010 #2

1BWANA1

1BWANA1

1BWANA1

Chad,
    I have beeen flying my 11X for some Months now. It is a fantastic radio with great programming features. You made a great choice. The manual is pretty week though, so I'll be happy to answer any questions you have that I am able to.

Thanks for starting this thread.

Steve

3. Nov 14, 2010 #3

Chad H

Chad H

Chad H

Passin` Gas

I heard about the "thin manual", lol, and found out today its no joke!

That`s one of the main reason`s I think this thread will be handy for those of us (namely me!) that are impatiant and can`t figure out certain features.

So start this thread off Steve by telling us what features you have used on it you like over other TX`s you`ve had, and maybe some of the things you don`t like, or wish it had.

4. Nov 14, 2010 #4

1BWANA1

1BWANA1

1BWANA1

Good idea Chad.

Things I like that my 9303/9503 doesn't have:

The looks, clean and modern, and easy to clean.

Fantastic large font, back lit, screen is easy to read in bright sunlight, and without my reading glasses.

No having to turn off the TX to get to any function.

Excellent gymbles, comes with either smooth or ratchet for the throttle.

Switch assignability, I set my planes/tx up just the way I want.

SD Card. I have a backup for all of my planes. I have shared setups with other 11X owners. Easy to update the system, just download to the SD Card, no sending the radio in, and losing all your setups.

My List, no need to scroll through long lists of unused functions.

Built in mixes for almost everything. The programable mixes are used for unique setups only.

Stick position switches, very usefull.

Multi-point curves on mixes that you position to work just the way you want them to.

Four servo ailerons built in, no more matchboxes.

Balance function, multi servo surfaces, and dual elevators now match perfectly throughout the travel range.

Long model names

Flight Mode Naming

More Flexible Flight modes, three flight modes, plus individual dual rates on the same model.

Limit adjust, no more over driving and damaging servos.

transmitter setup, many options to get the Tx to feel, sound and look the way you want it to.

I'm sure there is more, but this will do for an off the top of my head list to start.

Things I don't like:

Analog throttle trim detents are too light.

Trainer button is inconvieniently located.

Throttle timer beeps everytime it turns on or off. I would like it to beep once when turning on, never when turning off.

5. Nov 14, 2010 #5

james

james

james

i have just recieved my 11X. so far i like it. i still don't know this radio that well and still not familiar with all the terms and such. i wish it did have the manual like the 9303, i used it all the time. so far this radio has everything i wanted and needed in a radio. love the back lit screen and the 3 flight modes with dual rates on 1 flight mode. the mixes seem great and love the feature that you can tranfer just the mixes and features onto a custom list so they are all on one screen and you don't have to search for it. i also like how you can mark your throttle trim on the screen so you can revert back to it if your going from model to model.

6. Nov 14, 2010 #6

Revy

Revy

Revy

K, letsgo!!

I have had one in my hands and it is on my wish list to replace my DX7. The Tx does feel significantly better built. It's that silly thumb wheel I'm not liking. I have had that wheel break on my DX3S and left me and my ground pounders stranded for a couple of months until Horizon got another one to me. I do prefer the buttons on the DX7 than that "scroll wheel", imho. I still want one, though.:)

7. Nov 14, 2010 #7

Bunky f. knuckle

Bunky f. knuckle

Bunky f. knuckle

Cover shot, MA 10/09!!!

The rollie scrollie thing does take time to get used to. Just don't be to rough on it. :) I just got my 11X about a month ago. I really like it. I'll probably be changing a few things around on both my GS birds, instead of mechanically matching servos, go with the balance function. Looks like things will be easier to program as well........

8. Nov 14, 2010 #8

1BWANA1

1BWANA1

1BWANA1

Don't let the scroll button stop you. It is an entirely different quality than the one on the DX3S, and will provide years of trouble free use.

9. Nov 14, 2010 #9

50%plane

50%plane

50%plane

addicted

I was considering getting one of these to upgrade my 9303, but was not impressed.

However, I'm glad you love yours! How about throwing up some pics!!?!?!

10. Nov 15, 2010 #10

Chad H

Chad H

Chad H

Passin` Gas

Let us know what you hated about it.......just the way it looks or its features.

Heres some pics of mine, I think you were asking one of the other guys, but any excuse to show off my new toy...lol.......

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  11. Nov 15, 2010 #11

Chad H

Chad H

Chad H

Passin` Gas

Here`s sum more, a few to show how it balances on the strap.....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  12. Nov 15, 2010 #12

50%plane

50%plane

50%plane

addicted

the switch location's caused me to take my short fingers off a good grip of the sticks to reach them, and the programming was not worth the money, or upgrading from my 9303. So I decided that I would just switch my JR models over to my Aurora9 over time.

13. Nov 15, 2010 #13

Chad H

Chad H

Chad H

Passin` Gas

Hitec........:eek:

Just kidding. Only things I have heard about it I do not like are the touch screen (went through that with a older generation PCM10) and I heard the resolution was low.

14. Nov 15, 2010 #14

50%plane

50%plane

50%plane

addicted

The radio feels much more locked in than any other system I've flown. Honestly, I don't think it matters unless you are running the Hitec 7990 servos, which supposedly have more resolution than any radio on the market.... but there's a nasty rumor about a couple radios that will be taking advantage of that.... but when it comes down to it, every system is more than we need. The touch screen is a nice feature, in my opinion, but there's something to be said for either way. I played with the 11X and I knew I could never love it. I had just bought the Aurora, and I couldn't see myself buying another radio with less features, for twice the cost, just to upgrade the planes I fly on spektrum.

15. Nov 15, 2010 #15

Bunky f. knuckle

Bunky f. knuckle

Bunky f. knuckle

Cover shot, MA 10/09!!!

Chad, what case did you get to protect your gem???

16. Nov 15, 2010 #16

james

james

james

17. Nov 15, 2010 #17

TManiaci

TManiaci

TManiaci

Engineer Lifetime Supporter

I'm digg'in the input here. Been drooling over a 11x myself for a while. Keep it coming. Anyone want to go thru a GS bird setup?

18. Nov 15, 2010 #18

james

james

james

or a video. that might work out better. wish i knew how to post a video, or better yet a gs plane that wasn't all tore down.

19. Nov 15, 2010 #19

Bunky f. knuckle

Bunky f. knuckle

Bunky f. knuckle

Cover shot, MA 10/09!!!

Here's a few pix of my jewel!!!! The Vapor was the first airplane I flew on the 11!!!!

Attached Files:

20. Nov 15, 2010 #20

Chad H

Chad H

Chad H

Passin` Gas

Hey Bunky,
    I picked up the single TX DSM case from my local hobby shop for around $50 bucks. I remember when a JR case used to be around a $100, so I never had one before.

Here: http://www.jrradios.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=JRPA720

I have been using up till now just the aluminum case from Wal-Mart or Home Depot for $20 bucks packed with dimply bed foam. This one is nicer because it puts no pressure on the sticks and switches. Nice handy size too.

Only thing though I had to do, if you look in the pics is I had to cut a little slot into the bigger hole for the antenna to fold into with a razor blade. The slot provided fits their other TX`s.

It comes with keys so you can lock the buckles. There is room for your charger, and neckstrap too.

I thought it was a fair price and I am very happy with it

Attached Files: