I just scored a CARF MX2

marksextra

Tap the cylinder with a rubber mallet. TAP, not whack. Do keep a couple screws in the flange about 1/3 to 1/2 way in.

Alternate, put the engine in the over at 250* for about 10 minutes. use gloves when you take it out. Sounds like someone might have used something on the flanges as a sealant.
Ok. So IF I decide to whack it.....(clears throat) I mean. TAP it with a rubber mallet that I don't have; and I manage to get it loose. What EXACTLY will be required to get it to re-seal?

psycho-patch

Hey Pat.....check this out! Its a damn drawing someone did. I had a 67 that looked just like that but a not so tall scoop, shaped different. It was my street driver in high school.
Sorry Mark, don't mean to derail your thread but can't help myself.

BTW Mark, your scaring me with some of your engine questions and hesitations...........

That side port in the exhaust port is an exhaust blow down port. At least that is what we were taught as terminology and function.

Attachments

Last edited:

marksextra

BTW Mark, your scaring me with some of your engine questions and hesitations...........

That side port in the exhaust port is an exhaust blow down port. At least that is what we were taught as terminology and function.
lol. Fear not my friend. There's no reason I should know what a "blow down port" is. I'm not ashamed that I don't know. I also not ashamed that I'm hesitant to bake my $1700 engine without knowing how to re-seal it. Pat is very experienced. But Gerhard is who fixes 3W engines here in the states for regular Joe's like me. I can't isolate myself from the only mechanic in the states. That's all I'm trying to say. :thumbsup:

psycho-patch

Mark, its not knowing about a blow down port that scares me! That was a FYI thing, just so you would know! Listen to Pat. I am sure he will help walk you through your anguish. You'll be just fine.

Just for the record, cooking anything in the oven, at any time, that doesn't involve food doesn't set to well with my wife either. Ask me how I know this! :biggrin:

Last edited:

Tired Old Man

Staff member
Worst case you order a couple more flange gaskets from Gerhard. OTH, if you don't tear what's under there now your local auto parts store wil fix you up with a tube of Permatex Anaerobic Sealant. Don't bother buying the primer the tube says you need. Use very, very, very thin, just enough to get both the metal surfaces to have a little color. The name of the stuff tells you it doesn't cure until after the cylinder goes down. The screws do the heavy work, the sealant handles any slight mating issues between the gasket and the metal.

OTH, Unless I tear a gasket I don't use a sealant on a cylinder flange. Carb and reed stuff, yea, but not cylinders...usually.

My reasoning for the Anaerobic is because I only want to fill in any tiny voids, I don't need or want a glue and I certainly don't want a bunch of rubberized ooze going into my engines. Plus the stuff comes off later with only a piece of green Scotchbrite. The gasket does the real sealing work, the sealant prevents any leaks.

You should be able to smack the cylinders with your hands to break them loose. They haven't been on there very long and I would certainly hope they didn't get hot enough to stick too good. If your an accountant, put on some gloves before smacking it. If your a tradesman, no worries, go for it bare handed. Once they break lift only a little bit and see how the gasket is doing. Often one side will stick a little and an Exacto blade will help lift the stuck part if you're careful.

psycho-patch

That really wasn't far off the mark. I doubt many in here are as well set financially. Aussiesteve might be close.
Damn, just saw this. Doesn't give the guy a pass just upon the size of his bank account. That just enabled him to blow this whole thing off with perceived integrity and everyone will go along with it. That is exactly what his buddy was trying to inject into the issue to deny any ownership of the problem.
Well, so much for the truth to ever be known.

Tired Old Man

Staff member
Naw, the guy really doesn't know chit about engines and the 157 I'll bet doesn't have more than 8 to 10 total hours on it, with most all of it "soft" hours from what I could tell from the one hole. He does RC because he really likes it, not because it's trendy or something. He just happened to do things right early on that set himself up quite well. From what I know, note I said know, he's straight up. Mark is too. Mark excites a little easier and Barry starts feeling maligned and from that point on it's like a couple Kids (perhaps a poor choice of example) that started yelling "did not-did too" at each other, 'cept Barry is a lot less aggressive. More stubborn than reactive. There is never an end to it once it starts and both the kids come away feeling like they each got the short stick. They're both good people. I mean that.

red7fifty

BadAss Member
I guess now that everyone is feeling persecuted equally the world is righted again. :biggrin:
Dude, Mark threatened to beat me with a spoon! Felt like I was in China again!
(Just kidding, I've never been to China.....But my parents have! JK, They haven't been there since the 60s)

marksextra

Dude, Mark threatened to beat me with a spoon! Felt like I was in China again!
(Just kidding, I've never been to China.....But my parents have! JK, They haven't been there since the 60s)
And don't think I didn't mean it. Damnit! :maad: :thumbsup:

Tired Old Man

Staff member
I received a rather troubling call from Barry about 2 days ago. I thought this stuff was settled but one side evidently doesn't see it that way based upon that conversation. I'll repeat what I said before, Barry sold a used engine that as far as he could know was just fine. No guilt on his part. Mark bought a used engine that was as far as I could tell was in a state most would be in when flown from a dirt runway. Meaning used with some wear/dirt ingestion damage from use conditions that would not significantly impact performance.

End of story from my perspective.

red7fifty

BadAss Member
what an Uber D!ck thing to do!!

I bet he wears a tie to keep the foreskin from rolling up over his head!

Pretty sad you try to throw Barry under the bus for a motor you somehow F'd up!

Pathetic!!
And, you think this is appropriate behavior for a "Moderator"? :prrr:

red7fifty

BadAss Member
I'm saying...your name calling is past the line.....you don't agree?
You might not agree with how this whole thing has hit the fan, and I don't give a crap myself, at least , not anymore.
What are facts, what are lies, who said what, all irrelevant now.
But, seriously, I expect higher standards from a professional moderator.
Of course, that is just my opinion, but heck, someone else's opinion might just supersede mine, right?