I just scored a CARF MX2

marksextra

So I got lucky today because my wife bought me a CARF MX2 on sale with the deal of the week; couldn't pass it up as it was over half off. I had to agree to skip Nall but I really should be at work anyways, so I think I got a good deal. Green Gary Ward scheme. I'm not totally sold on the color but I figure it will look better in person than the picture as most of the compy's do. I'll use this thread to put up some questions and pictures as I build it.

Anyone have one? any tips to pass along?

Attachments

Last edited:

marksextra

Spoiled brat... LoL, Cool wife! What was that, 2.9m right?

Here's a great deal on a brand new DA150.

http://www.flyinggiants.com/swapshop/showproduct.php?product=38808&title=new-da-150&cat=16
I know right? Can't believe she pony'd up like that. Dang, she must have really wanted to stay home for mothers day. Either way, pretty cool for me. Ya, so 2.9m, 114" w.s. CARF spec's out anywhere from 100-120cc up to 150cc. I think it's kind of a tweener plane. I've seen weights as low as 31lbs upwards of 39lbs depending on motor. Typical arguments about low weight low power or extra weight with extra power. I know the DA150 is the staple motor, but I wonder how the DA120 would do if the weight was down around the 31pound mark.

BME150 could be a contender. I saw a ZDZ 160 for sale....But, I think I'm with you on this one. Grab a cheapo motor from the classifieds like that DA for less than a grand and be happy. I doubt I'll be buying a new motor direct, as I just spent some serious coin on the 3W110CS for the Sp55m.

I'll be ditching the Savox 2270's this go around and getting something else. Don't know what yet. What else is there? Jrmp82t? BLS157? heck, 8711 even. How many do I NEED on this size? 2 for rudder. 2 for elevators, ailerons?

A lot to think about as I hadn't really looked into buying anything right away. And even though this is my 9th Comp-arf plane, this is actually my first 150cc plane. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Bunky f. knuckle

Cover shot, MA 10/09!!!
Depends on set up, as to how light of an engine you use. I like the power to weight ratio of the 150 engines. It is a "tweener". Will it fly on a 110 or 120, sure will. It will fly good, but not great. It will still be able to do all the hot 3D stuff, but it may lack in punchout of a hover.

Silvanskii

Zweibleturm
With a 170 you can haul around pyro and lights hehe.... And get into elevator flutter if you aren't careful.

Revy

K, letsgo!!
A 120 on RE2s, awesome power! :thumbsup:

For all new CARF owners, I will ask you to go over the fuse with a trouble light on the outside while looking inside for cracks or separation in the foam layer between the skins. ;)

Bunky f. knuckle

Cover shot, MA 10/09!!!
Bunks plane has Stooopid power with the 150. It looked like a lot of fun.
Yeah........ it kinda leaves the hole like a top fuel dragster with 10, 000 hp on a 3.7 sec run!!! It takes that long for it to get to orbit!!!

I think Hahn and I should drag race the MX2's!!!!! Wachew think Terry????

marksextra

A 120 on RE2s, awesome power! :thumbsup:

For all new CARF owners, I will ask you to go over the fuse with a trouble light on the outside while looking inside for cracks or separation in the foam layer between the skins. ;)
Good idea and I've already done that on my SP55M because I was following your threads about the problems you had. I appreciate the heads up for sure. and for that matter, I appreciate you taking the time and writing about it. I think it was helpful for a lot of people.

I hadn't really thought about adding pipes on the 120. With pipes the 120 is a "tweener" combo for sure.

Last edited:

marksextra

I got thinking. Since I have the Valach120 for the 2.6 SP55M coming. And since I have the 3W110CS in there as a temporary motor;
Is there anyway the 3W110CS on pipes would be a good fit for the MX2?

The 3W110cs on RE2's turns a Mejzlik 30x10 at 6180! Seems like that should easily pull a 32lb MX2. Unfortunately we have the whole weight disadvantage over the DA120 which would be better. But I don't have a DA120 sitting here. I have a 3W110cs. So.... What do ya think?

Doesn't the CARF Edge 540 come in porky in the low 30 lbs?

I guess I could always mount it up and give it a go and see for myself.

Last edited:

Jaybird

Wishin' I was at the farm
marksextra said:
I got thinking. Since I have the Valach120 for the 2.6 SP55M coming. And since I have the 3W110CS in there as a temporary motor;
Is there anyway the 3W110CS on pipes would be a good fit for the MX2?

The 3W110cs on RE2's turns a Mejzlik 30x10 at 6180! Seems like that should easily pull a 32lb MX2. Unfortunately we have the whole weight disadvantage over the DA120 which would be better. But I don't have a DA120 sitting here. I have a 3W110cs. So.... What do ya think?

Doesn't the CARF Edge 540 come in porky in the low 30 lbs?

I guess I could always mount it up and give it a go and see for myself.
I would go for it. If you can get it 31-32 lbs it would be fine.

Bunky f. knuckle

Cover shot, MA 10/09!!!
Go for it, dude!!!! But I would run KS 1060's.

[ame]http://youtu.be/9hVtJq29BQ4[/ame] 3W 110CS KS 1060's, JC Super prop, 25x16, I think.......... A solid 140 mph aircraft!!! Just info, thats all........... ;)

When we drag racing MX2's, Hahn?????

marksextra

checking out some numbers from across the internet

3W110CS(6.5lbs) RE2 pipesMejzlik 30x10, 6180rmp

DA150(8lbs)..., DA muffs.Mejzlik 30X12 6200rpm
DA150 MTW cans, ,Mezlik 30x12.. 6240rpm

3w150(8.5lbs) 3w cans , ...Mejlik 30-10.. 6000rpm
3w150 std muffs. Mejzlik 30-12 ..5970rmp

BME150 Mejzlik 30x10 5800rpm
BME150 stock mfl Mejzlik 30x10 6000rpm

Can these numbers be correct? add in the 1.5 - 2 pound weight savings and maybe the 110cs on pipes would work?

Last edited:

Bunky f. knuckle

Cover shot, MA 10/09!!!
No experience with the RE2's. But I hear the RE2's are a touch lighter than KS. I just know what 3W like for tuned pipes.

Im all for experimenting. ;)