I hate Gyros!

Discussion in 'General Plane Discussion' started by BRUTUS, Mar 1, 2017.

Help Support Team Flying Circus by donating:

1. Mar 1, 2017 #1

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

Plank Junky Lifetime Supporter

Since so many people here like to argue, here's something I'm passionate about.

I'm the grumpy old man who yells at kids to "get off my lawn!" (not really). But I do have my opinions. I started flying full scale when I was 9 (dads plane). I now fly RC 100cc+ airplanes because of how inherently true flying they are. I use a computer radio with expo and mixes to lighten my load as a pilot. I have flown everything since I was 11 years old (29 years ago) from glo-turds, pylon racing, to thermal duration ships, slope soaring, slope combat, 200mph dynamic soaring, gasser warbirds, and from foamies up to 120cc 3D monsters and 150cc Waco biplanes. I have flown several gyro systems, and I do not feel like I need them.

Wanna hate me because I don't agree with you, that's ok too. You wouldn't be the first, or the last. If someone wanted to sponsor me with a gyro I would try it and be honest about my experience. But I just don't want one. Just like I didn't want steroids when I played football, or took Ritalin when I was in college, or popped a blue pill before getting with my woman, or lied and got women drunk and took advantage of them, or used pictures of other people's work to sell my own work. I've known lots of guys that did all of the above. I also have no respect for them.

If they are not allowed in competition why would I want one if I compete? If the rules ever change, I would try one just to keep the playing field level. But until then....

I apologize for offending the sensitive, but I can't seem to keep my big mouth shut.

2 people like this.
  2. Mar 1, 2017 #2

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

I hope some right wing nut jobs love gyros so I can argue about something worth arguing about! I could call you all sorts of names, belittle your abilities, your sense of integrity, your skill levels, weak mindedness.....

Also, get this forum back on topic! Airplanes!

thepamster likes this.
  3. Mar 1, 2017 #3

calypso

calypso

calypso

I have recently been using an EagleTree Guardian on my night flying glider. At times I get her up over 1000 ft and it is easy to lose orientation on it. With the Guardian I can use just the rudder to steer it around and not worry about getting into a spin. My previous night flier had a lot of dihedral and I made it a tad nose heavy so it would do a pretty good job of leveling out when I pulled back the throttle and let go of the sticks.

Here is a 10 min exposure of one of my flights.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  4. Mar 2, 2017 #4

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

Best use for a gyro I've heard of so far! Cool pic.

5. Mar 3, 2017 #5

kwilson

kwilson

kwilson

Gold Member

Sorry but I'm with you on this one! Gyros are for the instant gratification crowd that want to look like they can fly well without putting in the effort to actually learn. But that has become society today (there's your political statement!).

BRUTUS likes this.
  6. Mar 18, 2017 #6

3Drew

3Drew

3Drew

Generally speaking, I think gyros suck. I had to bypass the onboard safe on my friend's Apprentice entirely. It got in the way and had some hunting issue going on on the elevator.

I think they're acceptable in planes that don't fly well or at all without them. The QQ 300 is so short coupled it really only shines with the onboard gyro. I don't know of anyone who bypasses it. Also, it seems that competition pilots have to use them if allowed to. Don't know much about contest flying, but maybe it would be neat to grade non guided planes on a curve in order to encourage people to rely on the pilots skill entirely for points.

7. Mar 18, 2017 #7

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

The only legitimate use I have found is for aerial camera platforms. It's the only thing that makes sense.

8. Mar 20, 2017 #8

Rocky1405

Rocky1405

Rocky1405

I couldnt agree with you more! Amen, Brother!

9. Mar 20, 2017 #9

kwilson

kwilson

kwilson

Gold Member

I am not sure about all contest flying, but in Pattern and IMAC any type of auto stabilization is expressly prohibited. The winner of XFC was found to have used a gyro a few years back and they outlawed them after that. It is cheating for sure. Maybe OK in scale and racing, but I don't know.

10. Mar 20, 2017 #10

Angie

Angie

Angie

Staff Member Admin Moderator

by gyros do you mean drones? I have a friend that uses his to make videos of areas of beauty he finds and then posts them on his Facebook page. Also, was good in viewing the top of my Dad's amateur radio antenna.

Is this what you are talking about can calling gyros?

11. Mar 20, 2017 #11

Xpress..

Xpress..

Xpress..

Hitec Sales

A gyro is a device that is utilized to stabilize an aircraft, it can read inputs hundreds of times faster than humans can and actively correct unwanted tendencies. All multirotors have a gyro built into them, otherwise they would be nearly unflyable. Helicopters also have gyros used in them, and some airplanes have a gyro in them. On the multirotors, it tells the flight controller to speed up or slow down the motors in a manner that will make the craft fly very stabilized, whether it's just hovering still or moving forward rapidly. On airplanes and helicopters, it will move the servos to counter the unwanted tendencies. Typical functions are a basic stabilized mode that just softens out bumps from turbulence, to holding the craft in a fixed position, all the way to being able to right the craft if it gets out of control. Airplane gyros almost always have the ability to turn the gyro functions off so you have direct control of the aircraft.

It's basically a cheating device on airplanes according to most of us die hard airplane guys, I personally don't use them.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  12. Mar 20, 2017 #12

3Drew

3Drew

3Drew

I know Top Gun allows them. I would assume almost all scale jet competitions allow them. I think in the case of scale competitions, having extra weight/drag due to scale cockpit, external stores etc, it might make sense to allow them.
    Still, it's much more interesting to see a plane flown with no airborn stabilization. Like hearing a singer with no autotune. I'm teaching a friend to fly on his Eflite Apprentice. The onboard gyro can't be disabled and fights you the entire time you're flying. I had to put a passive receiver in the plane.

13. Mar 20, 2017 #13

cryhavoc38

cryhavoc38

cryhavoc38

Why do you have to hate?

14. Mar 20, 2017 #14

Angie

Angie

Angie

Staff Member Admin Moderator

Thanks Xpress. Then it really is just a gyro and not a slang name for something I did not understand. My Dad use to work on some large gryos. They were for the Saturn V back in the day.

15. Mar 20, 2017 #15

calypso

calypso

calypso

Couldn't you say the same thing about mixing, exponential and dual rates seeing as full scale aerobatic pilots don't have those options available.

1 person likes this.
  16. Mar 20, 2017 #16

kwilson

kwilson

kwilson

Gold Member

I have heard that said, but airborne stabilization devices are what we are discussing. Transmitter based functions are perfectly legal and acceptable.
    Speaking of full scale, have you ever flown aerobatics?

17. Mar 20, 2017 #17

calypso

calypso

calypso

Yup, I flew pattern back in the 80's and 90's. I've still got my vintage Tiporare lead sled with retracts and a Rossi .61 with a tuned pipe that turned an 11x11 prop around 18,000 rpms.

Then I transitioned to some turnaround pattern with a Hanno Prettner Calypso (go figure). It wasn't really designed as a turnaround ship but I kept it light so it did OK.

18. Mar 20, 2017 #18

kwilson

kwilson

kwilson

Gold Member

I meant IN an airplane.

19. Mar 20, 2017 #19

Xpress..

Xpress..

Xpress..

Hitec Sales

Yes, aside from Expo (which I have slowly been removing) I don't use dual rates or mixing :smash::p

But to each his own.

20. Mar 20, 2017 #20

kwilson

kwilson

kwilson

Gold Member

That's funny. I had a Curare with a Rossi 61 and tuned pipe. Never did fly because I quit before finishing.
    I did get to fly some retro pattern a few weeks ago. There was a guy that competes in Senior Pattern that let me fly his plane and called it out for me. That was pretty cool.