How To Covering Question

davensocal

Any suggestions on the best way to add some contrast to my wing?

I am thinking I need to lay the bottom stripes first, and then the bottom side leading edge. I will wrap the lower material up over the center of the LE bevel, and then trim by running some scissors down it.

Next step is to lay the topside leading edge material, again overlapping the LE bevel and trimming with scissors..

Last is to lay the stripe on the topside.

Does that sound about right?

The wing is solid red right now, and I am going to add yellow as in these pics..

(except of course the bottom of the wing would have a base of red, and I would add yellow LE and stripes, so I guess replace the blue in the pic with yellow, and the yellow in the pic with red!?! Confused yet?).

Thanks!

Attachments

10+

Professional Moderator
I would cut the red out below the yellow and overlap by 1/2" then just add the stripe with a trim iron.

The bottom, Would you consider stars or circles? You could have them cut from vinyl in different sizes and colors and simply layout and stick.

If it was me I would use dollar signs..$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

davensocal

Thanks for the tips!

Why would you remove the red base? Since it is already layed out nicely, I figured I would just throw the yellow on top..

Are you concerned about wrinkles and bubbles when applying over an existing covering?

Yeah, I though about a vinyl for all the work, and especially vinyl on the bottom, but I don't got none of those little $$$ signs available :)

10+

Professional Moderator
Bubbles and weight. I am sure if you make some calls you have a friend that has a vinyl cutter. I would only use the vinyl on the bottom.

What kind of covering did BH use on these planes? They dont like to be mixed and matched.

davensocal

Bill used Ultracoat / Oracover..

Dang, I hadn't really thought about pulling up the red.. I might need to rethink my scheme :)

3ddd

divorce,only way to fly
the red isn't to hard to pull up,just use a heat gun or an iron to warm it up and pull gently. play with heat till it comes off clean , be sure to mark it so you have a half inch overlap

davensocal

So if I stripe the bottom with Yellow, would you guys strip the red base off the bottom as well?

If you do it that way, how would you recommend cutting the film before removing?

davensocal

I guess if I went with the stock scheme I would have even more issues?? I would have to remove more red, and I would have the overlap backward (trailing piece on top of forward piece, might catch air at some point)

To do this scheme correctly, I really need to lay the yellow first, and then lay the red on the LE..

Argh!

Attachments

davensocal

OK, my photo editing skills are not available for discussion :)

What about an inverted color scheme?

This would give me the proper overlap order, and minimize the amount of material to be removed.

Attachments

Last edited:

10+

Professional Moderator
OK, my photo editing skills are not available for discussion :)

What about an inverted color scheme?

This would give me the proper overlap order, and minimize the amount of material to be removed.
Your on to something there. The bottom is not so critical the sun wont bake it and make it bubble and peel.. Just make sure you burn your edges carefully.