How to convert your Cargo trailer !!

N726AC

100LL User
I slept in my trailer at JN a couple of years ago. There are showers at the facility. Only problems are the early, prop ripping wake-up calls and Curtis shouting at the proponents while running around in his underwear. ;)

Had an air mattress and a couple of blankets. Always worried about someone latching the door from the outside, hate to miss a day of flying!

BENCHASON

3D Farm Hand
This should be an informative and interesting thread. Your willingness to share the adventure is appreciated!
Thanks TOM, will start a build tread when I get my trailer. The thing is that you can build a slide-out a/c window unit for what it would cost you for Hotel fee's for one event.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-V-6Z0OvQ0Q8/TgNfnZLjVII/AAAAAAAABBE/egwp0yIyz9Y/s400/IMG_1190.JPG
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-gd8FMqu8pDU/TlpMfnepXuI/AAAAAAAABYo/SjTcLELqHDg/s400/DW+2011+side+view+2.jpg

Tired Old Man

Staff member
I have an 18' Toy Hauler so it already covers both worlds. It never gets used... However, one is limited to taking only 3 planes. The upside is having a crapper, shower, microwave, stove/oven, refridgerator, heat and AC while providing sleeping area for two at one end with the planes inside, or four between both ends with the planes outside.

I have always wondered why more cargo trailers weren't later set up with provisions for comfortable sleeping.

GravyGoodness

Huck-O-What?
I just made brackets to hang the planes on the walls. I'll plug the exhaust with paper towels and the overflows with golf tees, blow up my air mattress and call it a night. (there is another rack for the plane currently on the floor in this pic) Easy for me. Now, I already have an A/C installed in the roof which is a bonus, but no TV and internet. If you need a TV and internet to camp at Nall, just go ahead and get a room.

Attachments

Dadstoysbg

I saw one at our field during a event that was set up great. It was 20ft. Had fold down cots on the wall. The side door had a window. Air. A fold down table outside with a awing. A Honda generator for power. The only thing missing was a john. They did all their cooking with a camp stove. Even had a small refrig inside. With everything folded up they had room for 6 40%ers inside. . Dennis

BENCHASON

3D Farm Hand
I saw one at our field during a event that was set up great. It was 20ft. Had fold down cots on the wall. The side door had a window. Air. A fold down table outside with a awing. A Honda generator for power. The only thing missing was a john. They did all their cooking with a camp stove. Even had a small refrig inside. With everything folded up they had room for 6 40%ers inside. . Dennis
Sound's perfect, just wonder why only a few people do it.

BENCHASON

3D Farm Hand
Doing some thinking !!
Think I will put a 8000btu ac unit in it. So V x A= watts, 820 ish watts.
Need a 1500-2000 quiet generator so it will run at half power for optimal efficiency and
I wont have to get up in the middle of the night for a refill.

Tired Old Man

Staff member
I would think because most try to fit as many planes as possible inside the trailer. Probably not so much to have a multitude of planes to fly when they get to somewhere but more to free up house or garage space. Realistically it doesn't make much sense to take 6-10 planes to a flying event unless your stong suit is crashing. For those it makes more sense to spend more time learning how not to crash instead of investing in more carnage material.

Instead, better to plan for a means to leave some floor or wall space for a free standing or fold down cot and sleeping bag. A fold down or out table or two on the outside of a trailer makes for a fine location for a camp stove. Even better is a location for a propane tank with a line routed to a couple burners mounted to that same fold out on the outside of the trailer. A good 24v deep cycle battery set up with a step down transformer for lighting can be helpful. Even a small generator can provide a power supply for a lot of different things like a flat screen monitor or TV, laptop for movies, stereo, battery chargers, etc. Amazing what can be handled through two power strips. We're starting to talk 7x14+ trailers or larger at this point though. Someone really creative could find a means to hang a roll up awning on one side of the trailer just like RV's. They'll make them to just about any reasonable size. Might have to duck to get under it but that's a lot of shade while sitting in the lawn chairs. No need for a pop up anymore if that's done.

I suppose we have to decide just how much we want to spend, how much we want to take with us, and what comforts we desire, but in reality the sky's the limit.

BENCHASON

3D Farm Hand
I would think because most try to fit as many planes as possible inside the trailer. Probably not so much to have a multitude of planes to fly when they get to somewhere but more to free up house or garage space. Realistically it doesn't make much sense to take 6-10 planes to a flying event unless your stong suit is crashing. For those it makes more sense to spend more time learning how not to crash instead of investing in more carnage material.

Instead, better to plan for a means to leave some floor or wall space for a free standing or fold down cot and sleeping bag. A fold down or out table or two on the outside of a trailer makes for a fine location for a camp stove. Even better is a location for a propane tank with a line routed to a couple burners mounted to that same fold out on the outside of the trailer. A good 24v deep cycle battery set up with a step down transformer for lighting can be helpful. Even a small generator can provide a power supply for a lot of different things like a flat screen monitor or TV, laptop for movies, stereo, battery chargers, etc. Amazing what can be handled through two power strips. We're starting to talk 7x14+ trailers or larger at this point though. Someone really creative could find a means to hang a roll up awning on one side of the trailer just like RV's. They'll make them to just about any reasonable size. Might have to duck to get under it but that's a lot of shade while sitting in the lawn chairs. No need for a pop up anymore if that's done.

I suppose we have to decide just how much we want to spend, how much we want to take with us, and what comforts we desire, but in reality the sky's the limit.
One of the guy's at the 3D Farm has a 14ft roll out awing on his. Rusty has a shelf for his WW and Carden that is a size of a queen bed any how. Just add mattress. Bring all the planes you want and unload at the event and keep them under the awing or bring a eazy-up and keep it low just for the planes.

Dadstoysbg

I wish i had taken pictures of his trailer. I do remember that it was 8x7x20. He used Navy cots that could fold against the walls of the trailer. Had four of them. The trailer was low to the ground about only 10". The fold out table out side fit flush when up. He had a Coleman camping stove for cooking. Also had outlets out side for a coffee pot. At the rear of the trailer he had a platform 1ft. from the top to hold the wings. He carried a large shelter and would keep his planes out side at night covered so the trailer was wide open during the event.
When he loaded the trailer it had a place for every thing and straps to hold it in place. Dennis