Hostetler 113in Super Chipmunk

Tseres

Whiny Old Man
Supporting Member
Finished up the wing fairings and got glass on all of it.

I only bodywork the top of the wings and where you can see the plane when standing on the ground. .Don't do the bottoms to save weightIMG_6680.jpg IMG_6682.jpg IMG_6683.jpg IMG_6685.jpg IMG_6686.jpg
 

Tseres

Whiny Old Man
Supporting Member
Multitasking is the word for the day. Doing a lot of sanding and filling. The ruder Vertical Stab and horizontal stab are ready for final sanding before paint. They are ready to glue on when I get the wing fairings finished. I sanded through the glass on the right side so I had to re glass the area. OOPS!

IMG_6690.jpg IMG_6691.jpg IMG_6692.jpg IMG_6693.jpg IMG_6694.jpg IMG_6695.jpg
 

Tseres

Whiny Old Man
Supporting Member
IMG_6738.jpg IMG_6739.jpg IMG_6740.jpg Finished up roughing in the bottom front of the plane. Checked out the incidence and the wing is 2 degrees positive just like the print says. Now to sand the stab saddle and set it at 0* incidence.
 

thepamster

The Mistress of Biplanes
Lifetime Supporter
Hey who's and what Ultimate is that that Delilah is sniffing at?

BTW thanks for continuing to keep the Circus up to date with your projects. This plane is looking awesome.
 

Tseres

Whiny Old Man
Supporting Member
It's a PAU Ultimate. Putting a DA-100 in it. Do you want a build thread on it? I got it from My friend Greg who I'm building this Chipmunk for.
 

Tseres

Whiny Old Man
Supporting Member
I roughed in the bottom of the plane. Roughed in the top of the left wing.IMG_6841.jpg IMG_6842.jpg IMG_6843.jpg IMG_6844.jpg IMG_6845.jpg IMG_6846.jpg IMG_6847.jpg Taking a little break from sanding and I'm going to put the Ultimate together so I don't loose parts over the winter.
 

Tseres

Whiny Old Man
Supporting Member
IMG_6925.jpg IMG_6926.jpg IMG_6928.jpg Back on the Chipmunk today.

Made the slides for the canopy. Cut the slot on my Dremel router table.
 
Last edited:

Tseres

Whiny Old Man
Supporting Member
Made up the steering arm for the tail wheel. The string is just there for effect so you know how its going to work.
Made up the dorsal fin and mounted it and glued in the slides.
Started to lay out the lines on the Canopy but ran out of tape. Tried to use the thin yellow stuff but it wont bend around a radius so I ordered some from the auto parts store. It'll be here Friday evening.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!
IMG_6931.jpg IMG_6932.jpg IMG_6933.jpg IMG_6934.jpg IMG_6938.jpg IMG_6939.jpg IMG_6940.jpg IMG_6941.jpg
 

Tseres

Whiny Old Man
Supporting Member
Got the tape yesterday to lay out the canopy. Did that this evening and split the windshield from the slider.

IMG_6943.jpg IMG_6944.jpg IMG_6945.jpg
 

Tseres

Whiny Old Man
Supporting Member
Here is another tip that I do all the time. When you want to trace something off of a print or like in my case today. I wanted to copy the outline of my layout on the canopy. The backing on Ultra coat is transparent. I save all of mine for this purpose. Taped a piece of it over the area to be copied and taped it down then traced the outside of the tape with a pencil. Cut it out and I had a template that I could transfer to the inside of the canopy.

Once I was happy with the template, transferred it to the 1/64 ply and cut the ply with scissors. Glued in the pieces with Formula 560 Canopy Glue. Goes on white and dries clear. Each piece you glue needs to be clamped for 3 hours before you can glue on the next piece.

IMG_6946.jpg IMG_6947.jpg IMG_6948.jpg IMG_6949.jpg IMG_6950.jpg IMG_6951.jpg
 

Tseres

Whiny Old Man
Supporting Member
Just so you know. There are days when I struggle with my building. Everything was moving along just fine till I tried to put the parts together. The Windshield Formers were to small even when I added an 1/8 in to the outside of them like the print said. So I added another 1/8 to the front former. This seemed to work but now the windshield is to high. I'll fix this tomorrow. May have to make new formers.
I glued in the front former to the slider and it turned out to be to narrow. I cut it back out and will have to make a new one of these also.
Oh well. Chalk it up to another learning experience. Try again tomorrow.
IMG_6954.jpg IMG_6955.jpg IMG_6956.jpg IMG_6957.jpg IMG_6958.jpg
 

Tseres

Whiny Old Man
Supporting Member
Now were heading in the right direction. Decided to go with ball links instead of screws for the guides. Print calls for a wood block with a wood screw threaded in. Front of the canopy is in good shape. Now I have to do the hard part. The rear brace that will hold the canopy shape in the back of the canopy. This may take a while to get it right.

IMG_6959.jpg IMG_6960.jpg IMG_6961.jpg IMG_6962.jpg IMG_6963.jpg IMG_6964.jpg IMG_6965.jpg IMG_6966.jpg
 
Top