Hostetler 113in Super Chipmunk

Discussion in 'Plane Kits & Frames' started by Tseres, Jun 15, 2018.

Help Support Team Flying Circus by donating using the link above.
  1. Jul 6, 2018 #21

kwilson

kwilson

kwilson

Gold Member

Interesting hinging system. What is the yellow hinge rod made of? Can you possibly explain/show me how it works?

2. Jul 6, 2018 #22

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

I'm going to take a break today and work on the Albatros. I will do a detailed photo bomb on the other elevator hinging when I get back to it. The yellow tube is the inside part of Nyrod. It's the Blue and yellow size. the piano wire I'm using for the pin is 1/16 wire. It slides in the inside of the yellow rod.

3. Jul 7, 2018 #23

tom wheeler

tom wheeler

tom wheeler

Hey Tom, thanks for the dimensions. Ron and I took a short break from building the two JTEC's and pulled out the Chipmunk plans and also looked at some canister dimensions. As you pointed out there is about 6.75" between the motor box sides, depending whether using short canister that are about 3" each in diameter or longer ones that are 2.5" in diameter, I think two side by side will work. Monday I'll look at the plans again and see how much length is available between the exhaust ports and what I think would be the first vertical non movable object, the spar box.

Tom

1 person likes this.
  4. Jul 8, 2018 #24

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

Here are some more pictures of the hinging process. May help explain how its done. I can probably answer specific questions. Showed it to my buddy Mike today he liked it. Said he may start doing all his hinges like this.

IMG_6157.JPG IMG_6158.JPG IMG_6159.JPG IMG_6160.JPG IMG_6161.JPG IMG_6162.JPG IMG_6164.JPG IMG_6165.JPG IMG_6172.JPG

5. Jul 9, 2018 #25

kwilson

kwilson

kwilson

Gold Member

That is great, thanks. So how is the nyrod used exactly? Do you put it all the way through the elevator and then cut where the hinge blocks come through? Do you use a small piece of nyrod (or something else) in the hinge block to act as a bushing?

6. Jul 10, 2018 #26

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

You have it exactly right. /you glue the nyrod on the center line of the elevator. Block it in both ides with 1/8 sheeting then cap it off with whatever size of wood you need to form the radius. Then lay out the location of the hinge blocks and cut out the slot through the nyrod to the depth that you need to clear the hinge block plus a litle more. The hinge block gets pre drilled and a piece of nyrod glued in to use as a bushingWhen you go to install it. You have to insert the piano wire through the elevato and the hinge blocks. Then clamp some spacers in the gaps. mine was 1/16 ply for clearance. Now you can glue the hinge blocks in place. This allowes perfect alignment. I used CA but will block it in on the remaining side with Epoxy. Haven't got that far yet.

1 person likes this.
  7. Jul 10, 2018 #27

kwilson

kwilson

kwilson

Gold Member

Thank you for the thorough explanation! That looks like a great hinging system, I really like it.

1 person likes this.
  8. Jul 11, 2018 #28

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

I finished one side of the stab and one Elevator. Have them rough sanded. Started the other side.

IMG_6174.JPG IMG_6175.JPG IMG_6177.JPG IMG_6178.JPG IMG_6182.JPG IMG_6183.JPG IMG_6184.JPG

9. Jul 16, 2018 at 12:18 AM #29

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

IMG_6185.JPG IMG_6186.JPG IMG_6187.JPG IMG_6188.JPG IMG_6189.JPG IMG_6190.JPG I'm still in the little here and a little there mode. Still get some things accomplished. :)

PS. I'm back on cable. What used to take 5 minutes to upload, now takes 30 seconds.

2 people like this.
  10. Jul 17, 2018 at 4:51 PM #30

MIKEPF5

MIKEPF5

MIKEPF5

Hey Mr Tom, I just received my kit last week an have a few questions if you don't mind?? was mocking up the fuse an with the 2 sides plugged into the firewall my sides are 1/8" to wide for the formers according to the plans, almost like the slots was cut 1/16" to wide?? was also looking at your stab build (looks great by the way) you used balsa stock for the t.e. instead of the ply balsa lamination?? the plans leave a lot to the imagination an talking with Mr Wendall he hasn't built one yet either. I will be following your build for a great reference!!

11. Jul 18, 2018 at 9:38 AM #31

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

I wouldn't worry about 1/8 th. The plans will shink. depends on the humidity. Cut your cross braces to the gap that you have in the firewall. You only have half of the top view. For the cross braces in the tail section. Measure the width on the plan and double each section to get your taper. You will find a lot of things not fitting. You will have to make them fit. It's almost like scratch building with some of the work roughed out for you. LOL.

You can post your build pictures here if you want. Wouldn't hut a thing. Tom Can do the same.

12. Jul 19, 2018 at 12:39 PM #32

MIKEPF5

MIKEPF5

MIKEPF5

thank you for the reply, the plans are not the best I have worked with. I will be following your build an asking questions along the way if you don't mind?

13. Jul 20, 2018 at 4:57 PM #33

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

I'll be happy to help if I can.