Hostetler 113in Super Chipmunk

Tseres

Whiny Old Man
I had a little filling to do on the bottom of the wings. Then I messed up and wet sanded the bottom while on the plane stand and put some dings in the top of the wing. Almost fixed. Still have to put some rivets back on and sand one more time. Then its ready for paint.
IMG_8060.jpg IMG_8061.jpg IMG_8062.jpg

Tseres

Whiny Old Man
Couple of things happened yesterday. I found out that the earliest my friend can start painting is Monday but I'll find out more tomorrow.
Then While I was looking at the full scale cowls picture,I realized that the cowl was held on with flat head screws. that meant I had to countersink the holes and glue on some backing to hold the screws in place. The fiberglass is just not thick enough. The problem came in with how to glue a flat piece to a concave surface. I decided to use Gel CA. It stays in place and when you hit it with some accelerator, it sticks to everything. It also fills big gaps. The flat surfaces were glued on with medium CA.
Put the rivets I sanded off, back on.
I also made a tree to hang the small parts on for painting. Now they wont blow around while painting.
There is a saying in the scale building world. Scale is never finished. You just stop working on it. Almost there. Once the paint goes on,that will be it.
IMG_8064.jpg IMG_8065.jpg IMG_8067.jpg IMG_8068.jpg IMG_8069.jpg

Tseres

Whiny Old Man
I found my old rotisserie that I used for my P-47 in the back of the Garage attic. Haven't seen this since I put it up there maybe 10 yrs ago. I checked it out and re drilled the mounting plate for the DA bolt pattern. My oldest granddaughter came to visit so I had her help me mount the chipmunk on it.

My first painter backed out on me. Lucky I know more then one. Painting the white is scheduled for Monday. I have to get ready for the Dawn Patrol this Friday that I'm the CD of.IMG_8073.jpg IMG_8074.jpg

Tseres

Whiny Old Man
Long day today. Finally have some color on the Chipmunk. All the small parts and the fuse are painted white. Not enough shop space to paint it all at once. That gave me a chance to build a hanging rack for the parts that have to be painted on both sides.
Been running and working all day. Just finished up about 1/4 till 10. all you need to know is that I was smiling all day.
:)

IMG_8184.jpg IMG_8188.jpg IMG_8189.jpg IMG_8190.jpg IMG_8191.jpg IMG_8184.jpg IMG_8188.jpg IMG_8189.jpg IMG_8190.jpg IMG_8191.jpg

thepamster

The Mistress of Biplanes
Lifetime Supporter
That fuselage looks like a missile of some sort hanging there, very sleek.

So what's the story of the laboratory operating chamber thingy, for lack of not knowing wtf else to call it?:rolleyes:

Tseres

Whiny Old Man
That fuselage looks like a missile of some sort hanging there, very sleek.

So what's the story of the laboratory operating chamber thingy, for lack of not knowing wtf else to call it?:rolleyes:
If youre talking about the cabinet in the corner of the shop. That is a sand blasting cabinet.

Tseres

Whiny Old Man
This is my friend Tom Jackson taking a break next to the fake Supercharged 427 that is going into his customized gulf cart. It’s nice to have talented friends. Yes, he did finish the white on the rest of the parts.
IMG_8193.jpg IMG_8194.jpg

aussiesteve

I've been stalking in the background admiring your handiwork ;)
Dealing with a coupla issues that have now stabilised - still unable to fly but still interested.

Loving your work Tom

Tseres

Whiny Old Man
This morning we painted the blue. Unmasked the parts and Sprayed Clearcoat on what we had room for. What is in the last picture is what we still need to clear. Baby is wrapping up.
IMG_8227.jpg IMG_8228.jpg IMG_8229.jpg IMG_8230.jpg IMG_8231.jpg IMG_8232.jpg

Tseres

Whiny Old Man
Just so you don't think everything we do is perfect the first time. I have certainly become good at fixing stuff.
:( The frown face is because I don't like to redo anything. But sometime you don't have a choice. This time I made the big mistake of not pulling off the tape before the clear coat. To compound the problem, we didn't clean the dust off the parts hanger and blew dust up on top of the wing and the white stripe had a very nice blue hue to it. At first I thought I can just wet sand the clear coat with 400 and have it turn white again. Nice thought but it didn't work.

The next Idea was to go buy a touch up gun at Harbor Freight and repaint the white. I thought I learned enough from Tom to be able to do it. I did paint the white after wet sanding the whole top with 600.

Tomorrow I will touch up the spots on the red and it will be ready to re clear coat.

For those that don't have to sand much. When wet sanding it is better to try fold the sand paper so it don't slip while sanding.

Yesterday I was Crying. Today I'm smiling.
:) Hope I don't run out of time. Next Saturday is the Airshow.
IMG_8235.jpg IMG_8236.jpg IMG_8237.jpg IMG_8238.jpg IMG_8239.jpg IMG_8240.jpg IMG_8241.jpg IMG_8242.jpg

Tseres

Whiny Old Man
Touched up all that needed it. Fixed up the wing. Installed all the screws. Ready for clear coat. Hope nothing messes up this time.IMG_8243.jpg IMG_8244.jpg IMG_8245.jpg