Hostetler 113in Super Chipmunk

Tseres

Whiny Old Man
Supporting Member
I've been doing a little here and a little there on the bottom of the Cowl. Got it close. Smeared some 30 minute epoxy with micro balloons in the low spots for strength. Let it harden overnight then sand it.
IMG_7953.jpg IMG_7954.jpg IMG_7955.jpg IMG_7964.jpg IMG_7965.jpg

Hope you don't mine me adding a little building tip . Don't be too hasty when you get the kit and punch out all the ribs . you can use the framing to support the ribs while putting them in place . . I have found the alignment of all the holes are not very accurate anyway but at least this gives the rib a proper outline when setting them in place .. cheers

Attachments

Tseres

Whiny Old Man
Supporting Member
Just about have all the filler on that I should need for finish shaping... Then just fill in the imperfections. Did I mention I hate sanding.IMG_7985.jpg

Tseres

Whiny Old Man
Supporting Member
Hope you don't mine me adding a little building tip . Don't be too hasty when you get the kit and punch out all the ribs . you can use the framing to support the ribs while putting them in place . . I have found the alignment of all the holes are not very accurate anyway but at least this gives the rib a proper outline when setting them in place .. cheers
You can also make a plywood bridge across the spar opening to hold the pieces together and in line. I learned this after I had mine built.

2018-05-26_221524_chipmunk132.jpg

Here is a picture of the relocated rib between W1 & W2 I also had to make the formers for the fuse to allow the fillets 100_4003.JPG 100_4004.JPG 100_4007.JPG 100_3996.JPG

When installed this way you only need to sheet up to the newly relocated rib. This gives you a perfect termination point for the fillet . so simple when you see how de Havilland did it . I can't use the exact shape of the De Havilland former's because I have to work around what is there but it's close ..

Last edited:

Tseres

Whiny Old Man
Supporting Member
You don't want to glue in the center section until after you built the outer panels. You also need the strut mounting blocks installed before you sheet the center section. Te strut mounting blocks needs fit.

I also put sheeting on top of the fuse before I unpinned it from the board to keep it from twisting. That means you need the stringers on first. Hostetler kits re a pain if you don't follow a certain building order. I restarted my build because of it.

Build the fuse first. Then the tail pieces. Then the center section. Then the outer wing panels. You don't have to sheet the bottom of the fuse till after you glued the Stabs and Center wing section in. If you follow that order, it will make your life a lot easier. I got these tips from a guy on RCSB. It does work.

Last edited:
Yeah the center section is removable , I just about finished the main wings today ,and your correct you need the center section free to build the wings .. Thanks to your thread I did mine in the correct order but still lots of room for messing up LOL. I will put the fuse back in the jig before I sheet it ,good thinking .

Tseres

Whiny Old Man
Supporting Member
i finished the filling of the bottom of the Cowl. I still have to do some work on the inside. I'll probably put at least on layer of cloth on the inside once I smooth it out. The outside is looking good. A friend of mine is 3D printing some louvers for the cowl. Waiting on them to finish things up.IMG_7987.jpg IMG_7988.jpg IMG_7992.jpg

Tseres

Whiny Old Man
Supporting Member
All good news today. All the granddaughters came over today and the Twins wanted to try and sit in the Chipmunk. They didn't fit. However Greg got Little Nathan from Warbird Pilots in Toledo and the 1/3 scale civilian pilot fits nicely. Have to get some ply and make a seat for him.

Cut out the foam from the bottom and laid some fiberglass on the inside of the cowl. Just finishing left on the cowl.
:)
IMG_7994.JPG IMG_7997.JPG IMG_7998.JPG IMG_7996.JPG IMG_E7999.JPG

thepamster

The Mistress of Biplanes
Lifetime Supporter
A couple of cute future airplane pilots right there that is for sure. Full scale or RC pilots, or maybe both.

Tseres

Whiny Old Man
Supporting Member
I talked with Lee Watkins about the Chipmunk at the Toledo show. Lee graciously offered to 3D print the louvers for me. This is the prototype trial fit ones. Not the ones I'm going to do. I taped them on the cowl. I'm happy with them so he's starting on the ones I'm going to use.
IMG_8006.jpg IMG_8007.jpg

Very Nice Tom . I can't find any louvers the correct width ,will have to go your route . Couldn't bring myself to part with the $500.00 CAD for the gear so I hit the basement for 5 hrs and cam up with these . Made them from 7075-T7 so crazy strong , I machined the mount flanges all out of the same piece so no welding was needed, that softens the aluminum tube too much for my liking, they weigh 9 oz and have 2 1/4" stroke . I still have to sand blast the knuckles so they look forged but I think they came out OK .

Attachments

Tseres

Whiny Old Man
Supporting Member
Sorry about the slow updates but life seems to get in the way of my fun.

While I was waiting for the louvers, I made the seats up and filed in some diamonds to simulate the padding that was on the full scale.IMG_8009.jpg IMG_8010.jpg IMG_8015.jpg IMG_8016.jpg IMG_8017.jpg IMG_8019.jpg IMG_8020.jpg IMG_8021.jpg IMG_8022.jpg

Tseres

Whiny Old Man
Supporting Member
I met Lee half way between Elwood and South Bend In. yesterday and picked up the louvers that he so graciously made for me on his 3D printer. Did a lot of tedious sanding and I glued on the louvers. I don't think I could have changed the cowl to make it look any better. This is the limit of my skill level at this time. This is the last piece I needed to install before painting. It's paint prep time.IMG_8029.jpg IMG_8030.jpg IMG_8031.jpg

Tseres

Whiny Old Man
Supporting Member
IMG_8035.JPG IMG_8038.JPG Not much to show for sanding most of the day. I did manage to finish wet sanding the fuse outside before it started raining. The Cowl is looking Great!
IMG_8035.JPG IMG_8038.JPG