Hostetler 113in Super Chipmunk

Tseres

Whiny Old Man
Supporting Member
Things are going slow. Have the windshield frame built up. It's pretty flexible. I think with a little massaging, it will work.

I had a friend of mine make some wheel pants mounts. I gave him the info and when he asked me if the spacing of the mounting bolts mattered I said no. I didn't lie, but I didn't give him enough info. So I had to redo part of it. My Bad but it's all good now.
IMG_7769.jpg IMG_7771.jpg IMG_7772.jpg IMG_7773.jpg IMG_7775.jpg

Wow great build thread , just picked up the plans and will be ordering the kit in a week . This is going to be a great reference and time saver . keep up the good work . cheers Roger

Tseres

Whiny Old Man
Supporting Member
Wow great build thread , just picked up the plans and will be ordering the kit in a week . This is going to be a great reference and time saver . keep up the good work . cheers Roger
Nice to have you following and building the same kit. Not an easy kit to build but it is turning out nice and I think it's worth the effort. Just don't get in a hurry.

Tseres

Whiny Old Man
Supporting Member
Some days it looks like you did a lot. I like those days. Today was one of those days. I scratch built the rear dash.
Had to build a GPS Pod since I put the antenna on the outside. It didn't come in the gauge package so I had to improvise. It was kind of fun to build it from a picture. Before you get into the detail. Take into consideration that the interior is not Judged at NASA Scale Contests.

I'm starting to see light at the end of the tunnel.
:)
IMG_7790.jpg IMG_7791.jpg IMG_7792.jpg IMG_7793.jpg IMG_7794.jpg IMG_7795.jpg IMG_7796.jpg

way cool on the gps ,looks great . I hear you about the difficulty level, I find a scratch build easier then a build like this because you have to figure out the guys train of thought . Your well documented build thread will really help to sequence the build . I don't know about matching your mad building skills though LOL. ,but I will give it my best .

Tseres

Whiny Old Man
Supporting Member
My building skills are evolving. This is my 5th scale plane. I never know how the plane will end up when I start the build. I'm ending up with the 3rd scheme since the start. The Marooney, then the Pepsi and now the Ghost Writer. Went from a weekend flyer to a scale plane. Lot of the things I do is for the first time and don't know how they will turn out. Like the gauges and the roll bar. My second time for Glue Drop Rivets. I build them to make me happy and other people seem to like it also. Do what makes you happy with your build and don't try to compare it with others. I'm sure we will all like it. Let me know if your doing a build thread. It helps keep you motivated on a long build. I will follow. If not then post questions and or pictures here. I can't wait to see your progress.

I am new to this site and like the more advanced builds , I love to find builders that have master skills that I have not yet tried, I find it inspiring and challenging to find and master new building methods . Just about finished my 1/3 stearman with the Valach 250 radial. Have many build threads on RCCANADA but will post my next build here also so I can ask question of more like minded builders .. Wish I had seen this thread before doing my pocket hinges ,your system is much better . Live and learn LOL.

ben_beyer

I have been active on here in the past but now just kind of lurk. Part of that is a lower interest in giant scale 3D planes and also I relocated for my job and we haven't built a workshop at the new house so I'm also very limited on space.

I sold the Dalton 300 I was working on just because I lost interest in IMAC and started flying pattern instead since I don't need a trailer to haul my planes around.

I'm also interested in trying some soaring and building a warbird. I found my set of plans for a Ziroli P-47 and Valley Aviation Typhoon. One of those will be the next BIG kit I start once I get the 2m pattern kit I'm building done.

Tseres

Whiny Old Man
Supporting Member
Nice Choices Ben. Hope you decide to do a build thread so I can follow along. All those planes are of interest to me. I still fly IMAC once or twice a year. My plane fits into my mini van. But I did downsize to a 120 cc Extra.

Tseres

Whiny Old Man
Supporting Member
Over the last couple of days I finished up and glued in the front dash. Made a front dash cover. Getting the windshield ready to mount. Glued on the outer cover for the canopy.

Yes they did change the appearance of the bottle on the Formula 560 Canopy glue. It's the same great glue inside the bottle.

Yes Pam. I did get some more clamps but they weren't enough.
IMG_7797.jpg IMG_7798.jpg IMG_7799.jpg IMG_7800.jpg IMG_7801.jpg IMG_7802.jpg IMG_7803.jpg IMG_7804.jpg

Tseres

Whiny Old Man
Supporting Member
Sanding and fitting and sanding and sizing. Oh did I mention sanding. At this stage everything goes slow. Progress is sometimes not visible.

Have the windshield glued in place. The canopy frame has been shaped to size. Just working on the frame surfaces.

IMG_7809.jpg IMG_7810.jpg IMG_7811.jpg

ben_beyer

I feel you. The pattern kit I'm building is all about sanding to shape.

But the plus size is you can cover with monokote or ultracote and save some weight plus have an airframe that's easier to repair.

Attachments

Tseres

Whiny Old Man
Supporting Member
Put putty on. Sand putty off. Repeat till you can spray on the primer. Primer is sprayed.
:) Getting close to finishing the hatch.
IMG_7815.jpg IMG_7816.jpg

Tseres

Whiny Old Man
Supporting Member
IMG_7818.jpg IMG_7819.jpg IMG_7820.jpg I added a positive lock for the canopy. Something I thought of when some of my friends canopies flew off in flight. This seems to work nice.

Tseres

Whiny Old Man
Supporting Member
Made a little ball out of a 4-40 button head screw and a hex nut. Tapped the brass tube and now the latch is complete.
Glued in the magnets with Hysol. That should hold it. The combination of the magnets and the latch should hold the canopy in place. I hope to detail and finish the hatch tomorrow. Unless the creek rises again.
IMG_7822.jpg IMG_7825.jpg IMG_7823.jpg IMG_7824.jpg

Tseres

Whiny Old Man
Supporting Member
Finish sanded, detailed and primed the windshield and canopy. The light at the end of the tunnel is getting bigger.

IMG_7826.jpg IMG_7827.jpg IMG_7828.jpg IMG_7829.jpg IMG_7830.jpg IMG_7831.jpg IMG_7832.jpg IMG_7833.jpg