I bought The Chipmunk Kit at the Toledo Show. I was impressed with the Hostetler Display. A larger Chipmunk has been one of the things on my RC Wish List. Now I have one to build. I'm also building a second one for a friend of mine. Here is the Scheme I have in mind.
This is not yet a full tilt build. It's flying season up here in the North so the posts are going to be once in a while at first.
I'm in a learning curve once again. This is a kit but There are no instructions. My research is telling me that a Hostetler build is a little different. I'm used to starting with the wing. In this case it is a 3 piece wing but the center section is part of the fuse. I started out and struggled with building the wing before I found out that I needed to start with the fuse.
Here are a few picks of the wing but I stuck it on the shelf till its time comes.
So I have to relearn how to use the new system Sorry about all the pictures. Don't know how to delete them.
Three days ago I started on the fuse. The print is very incomplete. You get the basics from it then you have to rely on tour experience to do the rest. I'm going with the Optional removable hatch. There are no parts or directions to do this so I'm winging it.
I modified the print for the hatch. I had to develop a former for the change. It's easyer for you to look at the pictures since I'm having a hard time describing what I did so here you go.
It's hot in Indiana. It was 97F in the shopping center parking lot.
Very little work done today. Figured out there was a slot missing for the mislabeled Ply Brace that went in the tail section. Cut some doublers out of scrap balsa for the stab mounting area. They weren't provided. And I scratch built a servo tray. Hope the location is OK since there are no directions as to where they should go.
I'm in, this is quite an undertaking! Looks like the plans need some revisions. I've had CG, World Models, Ohio r/c (Super & Pepsi) Chipmunks and enjoyed them very much. I'm enjoying the photos and comments. Curious to know if this planes plans show washout on the wings? Will you keep the scale amount of dihedral or lessen it? Looking forward to your build. Thanks for sharing and great progress!
I'll be following your build, I bought one too at Toledo but most likely not starting it till this winter. Finishing up two JTEC's for a customer in Poland and will then move on to two more Kam Aero's, then the Chipmunk. Are you going to use canisters or just cans?
The heat is on in North Central Indiana. It's to hot to work for long periods of time in the shop. I'm still pissed off at my Albatros so it's not hard to do 15 minutes of work and go back in the house to cool off. Cut a piece for the Chipmunk. Trial fit it and trace it for the second one. Some of the pieces for the second plane are not cut out yet but are all traced and ready to cut.
Finding out that former 3AA is not part of the kit so I'll have to make one. I started gluing things together on the "my own design Hatch" and the front of the fuse.
The hatch is taking shape. It was a little cooler today. It only got up to 92F. Humidity was also a little lower so it was bearable in the shop. The forecast is much the same for the rest of the week except were supposed to get a little rain. This feels like Florida only we know it won't last for months.
Looking real good Tom, good move on cutting out all of that ply and making the hatch. When I got my kit I just gave it a quick look and that was two things that came to my mind as well. The fuse looks a little narrow up front, I was hopping to modify the motor box area for canister on a DA 120, do you thing there is enough room?
Tom. You will have to modify the design. There is enough room for 1 canister. I don'y think there is enough for two. You would have to modify the main frame. It can be done but you would need a redesign of the front of the fuse. Let me measure the total width first and I'll let you make the decision. An option would be to put one 150 size canister in there with a Y pipe. " Sorry. I know I got your mind working."
I started building the stab today. Drew center lines on the parts and tacked them together standing on the center rib. Then I calculated 1/4 in shims under the rear spar and 1/2 in shims under the leading edge. in order to be able to lay it over the print. I made a few adjustments to match the print. If you follow this method then don't put a lot of glue while its standing up . I used a drop of thin CA where the joints are tight. I had to adjust the square hole in two of the ribs in order to keep the spar straight. It's looking pretty good.
We had a nice midday storm and it cooled things off. So I continued in the shop. Sheeted one side of the Stab and the elevator. Made some parts for the home made hinges. The Elevator will be removable.