Hobby King DM 55

roc111672

3D Farm Bartender
Well i know i will catch alot of $hit but for $214 i had to try it . I just ordered it when i get it , I and the gang i fly with will give you all the lowdown on how it runs . It will be going on a Wrong Way 80" profile . Let the bashing begin .

lxcoupe

Can I say that?
No bashing here. I can't wait to hear what you think, good or bad. I wanted to get one. They were out of stock for so long that I just went ahead and ordered a DA60. 1 week later I get the email saying they are in stock. I could have saved $500+, oh well maybe it will be a pile of sh!t and I won't feel so bad....lol Somehow I bet it runs just as good as the dle.

roc111672

3D Farm Bartender
You know you will hear all kinds of things . I hear dle and dm are made by the same company . But who really knows .

Rod Bender

Team Flying Circus
Lifetime Supporter
Well i guess worst case i can use it for a mirror .
Seriously, I hope it runs great for you. Keep us updated with it's performance or the lack of. It's valuable info for others on the fence, so ... keep us updated . . . :thumbsup:

Tired Old Man

Staff member
You'll know it more than a loose collection of parts by looking inside the piston skirts and at the rods. No name stamps equates to a colltection of pretty much basic parts.

It will run and do ok, at least for awhile. The time period where it performs as well as it should, is an undetermined factor. Tech support might end up an issue so it's a good idea to mic out all the parts early to see what might be interchangable with other brands for spare parts.

If you get a couple of seasons out of it you'll have gotten your money's worth.

GravyGoodness

Huck-O-What?
Clone of a clone of a clone of a knock off. With the current crop of Chinese engines, honestly, I bet it runs great!! You should ask around and see what oil to run in it. :crazy:

roc111672

3D Farm Bartender
You'll know it more than a loose collection of parts by looking inside the piston skirts and at the rods. No name stamps equates to a colltection of pretty much basic parts.

It will run and do ok, at least for awhile. The time period where it performs as well as it should, is an undetermined factor. Tech support might end up an issue so it's a good idea to mic out all the parts early to see what might be interchangable with other brands for spare parts.

If you get a couple of seasons out of it you'll have gotten your money's worth.
Tired Old Man , have you purchased one of these engines ? How did it run and how long did it last ? I can remember when DL came out everyone said dont buy it , it is crap only buy DA , then someone tried it had great results and ppl started useing them . Then DLE , and it is an awesome engine . Now it is time for DM`s turn .

GravyGoodness

Huck-O-What?
Tired Old Man , have you purchased one of these engines ? How did it run and how long did it last ? I can remember when DL came out everyone said dont buy it , it is crap only buy DA , then someone tried it had great results and ppl started useing them . Then DLE , and it is an awesome engine . Now it is time for DM`s turn .
I'm not TOM, but I've seen the DLA's (which is not your engine) and they are NOS parts that were laying around that our Asian friends threw into a motor case. There is nothing wrong with this, it's all great stuff, just not the newest Kool-Aid (or tea depending on if it's from the orient). They run just as good, last just as long as any other engine in it's class, the company just buys the parts at a discount and don't mark them up too much. No development cost, no production costs. Parts may one day be hard to come by, but 2 seasons on the engine would still bring you good value. Fly the snot out of it and enjoy yourself.

Rush7

Well i know i will catch alot of $hit but for $214 i had to try it . I just ordered it when i get it , I and the gang i fly with will give you all the lowdown on how it runs . It will be going on a Wrong Way 80" profile . Let the bashing begin .

How is your WW 80" coming along. I have got one wing just about tied up but not getting much time to work on it.

Cant wait to get mine done and get it flying.

Got any pics?

Rush7

Rusty hasn't started his yet, but I'm loving mine!
It looks like yours is awesome. Richard has nothing but good things to say about you and your building skills.

I may be looking you up as I progress through the build.:thumbsup:

roc111672

3D Farm Bartender
How is your WW 80" coming along. I have got one wing just about tied up but not getting much time to work on it.

Cant wait to get mine done and get it flying.

Got any pics?
Well you know it`s like this ....... I prob should have bought the rest of the wood i need b4 i bought the engine but i am going to see about getting together with Ashley and see just what all i need and get it ordered in a few days . I havent even taken everything out of the box i got from Richard yet . I guess i would be in a bigger hurry if i didnt have a great flying Carden .

carykard

You know you will hear all kinds of things . I hear dle and dm are made by the same company . But who really knows .
I read somewhere that the engineer that designed DLE wasn't getting his cut once they went to the big time retailers(Great Planes) so he made the DM to sell. The article says all the parts and castings come from the same company for both engines but DLE is not cast in the case and DM is scribed on the case. I'll look tonight for the article.

Al Lewis

Circus Staff
They are all the same parts made by the same manufacturers. You should find that everything in it is interchangeable with the other 55s. The price may reflect the fact that the parts were QC rejects or just be the guy putting them together selling them cheap knowing he's never going to service them. As was said before just fly it and see what happens.