Great planes extra 300s build

Discussion in 'Circus Clubhouse' started by NCPilot, Nov 23, 2016.

Help Support Team Flying Circus by donating using the link above.
  1. Nov 23, 2016 #1

NCPilot

NCPilot

NCPilot

View attachment ImageUploadedByRC Plane Forum1479922831.714533.jpg

Hey pilots. I am just about finished with the 40 size extra 300s model from great planes. Has anyone flown this model before? What I don't like about it is the thin ailerons. I just have worries of slow roll rates and/or inability to recover from tip stalls. I know in my mind that ailerons this thin on a model this big won't be too forgiving at low speeds. Can I get another word?

2. Nov 23, 2016 #2

thepamster

thepamster

thepamster

The Mistress of Biplanes Lifetime Supporter

I have not flown one of those before. Those are old school "thin" ailerons for sure.
    How are they controlled, torque rods with just one servo or a servo for each aileron?

3. Nov 23, 2016 #3

kwilson

kwilson

kwilson

Gold Member

I have never flown that particular model before so unfortunately I can't be much help. I did however have a great plains Cap 21 many moons ago and really liked that airplane. It did have a tendency to tip stall, but I think that was more due to the high wing loading than the thin ailerons. My only advice is to keep it as light as possible.

And welcome to TFC.

4. Nov 23, 2016 #4

NCPilot

NCPilot

NCPilot

The ailerons are operated by one servo

5. Nov 23, 2016 #5

thepamster

thepamster

thepamster

Many planes of that era, and size, used torque rods and one servo to control the ailerons. This can cause aileron flutter if the plane is flown too fast as the ailerons far out on the wing can easily flex so I would not put too strong of an engine on it.
    I would also echo Kwilson's advice on keeping it light but that may be difficult to achieve if an ARF.
    Those ailerons would not really effect tip stall as that has mostly to do with angle of attack of the wing itself in relation to airspeed. Don't ask me to explain that in too much detail cuz I can't.
    If it were possible I would install a servo for each aileron but depending on the plane design that may not be possible.
    I assume that since you have this plane you already do having flying skills, at least I hope so because planes of this size and sometimes heavy due that era can be a handfull to fly.

6. Nov 23, 2016 #6

thepamster

thepamster

thepamster

I don't know why I thought this was an ARF. I just looked at the manual from Tower.
    I didn't know they still made this kit.
    It looks like you could have modified it for two aileron servos. It was designed for one so it should be fine, as long as you don't put a piped racing engine on it. Lol.
    Hopefully someone will see this thread and help.

7. Nov 23, 2016 #7

NCPilot

NCPilot

NCPilot

I made a video a while back about tip stalls and flying hobbykings Avro Lancaster bomber
    I have seen so many pilots who own this model flying their plane and end up in an flat spin during a turn. So I made this video.
    [ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn9zaIpkKso[/ame]

But it's nothing that will help me on preventing tip stalls because this is an aerobatic plane. And I intend to try to do a lot of 3D flying if it's possible

8. Nov 23, 2016 #8

thepamster

thepamster

thepamster

Nice video. Obviously you don't need me to explain anything about tip stalling.

I am not a 3D pilot by any stretch but I think you will find that plane you have will not meet the requirements of a 3D plane, which typically have large control surfaces as well as exaggerated control throws.
    However, not being a 3D pilot, what the heck do I know.:)

9. Nov 25, 2016 #9

NCPilot

NCPilot

NCPilot

THATS WHAT I SAID EARLIER!!!! Lol

10. Nov 25, 2016 #10

red7fifty

red7fifty

red7fifty

BadAss Member

I built 3 of those in the past. GP started to offer the kit again.
    The plane in stock form, flies fine, (no prob with the roll rate), but it does like to be flown at speed....something most Nitro airplanes seem to like.
    My 2nd build, I wanted more power, so I stuffed in a heavy Rossi .60 which was sitting on my shelf....that got the job of vertical accomplished. I enlarged the tail surfaces. Brandon Taff bought the plane from me a few months later.
    http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/569586-stuffing-60-into-gp-extra-300-40-kit.html
    My 3rd build, I also modified the wings to use dual servos, and made the ailerons twice as large by cutting into the ribs. Then I added fiberglass cowl and pants, and used a Saito .91. That thing was a blast to fly, power to weight and control authority well deserving of the effort....sadly, it was lost on the 2nd flight, when my transmitter battery was needing a recharge, but I ignored it, thinking that the alarm would sound when it was in the danger zone.....I was wrong......it is possible to lose range before the alarm sounds.

11. Jan 26, 2017 #11

NCPilot

NCPilot

NCPilot

Damn... that sucks. Sorry to hear that... ALSO. NEW UPDATE!!! NEW PAINT JOB!!! AND SMOKE SYSTEM INSTALLED!!!