FrSky Announces Their First Complete Radio System - The Taranis - $175 - Up to 16 ch

Discussion in 'Giant RC Plane Forum' started by AEAJR, Apr 14, 2013.

Help Support Team Flying Circus by donating:

1. Apr 14, 2013 #1

AEAJR

AEAJR

AEAJR

Looking for Lift

FrSky Announces Their First Complete Radio System - The Taranis - $175
    http://www.alofthobbies.com/frsky-taranis.html
    http://www.frsky-rc.com/

Here is a new radio for people to consider. FrSky has developed a great reputation in RF modules and receivers. But how will they do with radios? Only time will tell. The radio has been much anticipated. It was finally announced in April and pricing is out but they are not shipping yet.

Features:

•Full Telemetry RSSI alarms (warns you of signal reception problems before disaster can strike)
    •Self test of the transmitter antenna
    •16 channels (more when combined with external module)
    •60 model memories
    •64 mixers, 9 flight modes
    •16 custom curves with 3-17 points each, 32 logic switches
    •Voice or custom sound alerts
    •USB and SD card slot for system expansion
    •Long range system capable of up to 3 times the range of current 2.4 systems
    •Quad bearing gimbals that are silky smooth
    •State-of-the-art open source software
    •Super low latency for ultra quick response (9ms)
    •Large 212 X 64 backlit LCD screen
    •Real-time data logging
    •Receiver lock (program locked to aircraft - limited to FrSky receivers running PXX protocol)
    •JR Style module bay for additional RF modules and so much more
    •Selectable flight mode (1, 2, 3, or 4)
    •2 timers, count up or down, throttle %, talking, etc.
    •Trims - Adjustable from course to extra fine with extended and exponential trims
    •Standard trainer jack
    •ARM Cortex M3 32-bit 60MHz
    •Integrates with CompanionTX – a FREE computer program that is a transmitter setup buddy. CompanionTX (Windows/Mac/Linux) is used to set-up models with the wizard, save, edit and share your models and settings as well as simulate your transmitter or model setup.
    •USB connection for firmware upgrades, sound editing, R/W to the microSD card and integrate with CompanionTX
    •Sticks and pots can be calibrated by the end user
    •Multiple language support (Radio arrives configured for English language)
    •Open source community-driven firmware, so unlike with major manufacturers if you need a special function or have good improvement suggestions just raise your voice, and don't be surprised if it's implemented a couple of days later! Visit http://www.openrcforums.com to meet the developers!

The software has been developed by the opensource community and has long been available on the FlySky TH9X, the Turnigy 9X and other radios. FrSky built a radio that can use this software and which will allow the SW to evolve.

Interesting approach and certainly below the price of such a capable radio from any of the name brand houses.

2. Apr 14, 2013 #2

Revy

Revy

Revy

K, letsgo!!

Lots of good features. Durability and reliability is the only real question. Be interesting to follow. :thumbsup:

3. Apr 14, 2013 #3

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

Plank Junky Lifetime Supporter

Looks like a nice radio. Now it's time for testing in the real world!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  4. May 10, 2014 #4

calypso

calypso

calypso

FedEx just delivered my new Taranis and my first impression is that it is very cool. A full 16 channels activated with joysticks, levers, dials and switches. One of the main reasons I wanted to try this radio, aside from the ridiculously low price, is the operating system, OpenTX. It's an open source system that is constantly being updated with new features and capabilities that can be downloaded to update the radio. I always felt a little disappointed firmware in my JR9303. It seemed like some features which could have been easily included, like supporting 4 aileron servos, we're deliberately left out to "encourage" you to upgrade.

The built in telemetry is also a feature that I like about this radio. It has what they call RSSI, Recieved Signal Strength Indicator, where the receiver actually relays back to the transmitter the quality of the signal it is getting. Then there are a multitude of add on sensors you can get to augment the telemetry data.

I'll post more, good and bad, as I delve into it and learn more about the transmitter and receiver.

5. May 11, 2014 #5

JohnBer

JohnBer

JohnBer

Guy at the field has one, so far he is very happy with it. The o/s in it does sound like a hobby in itself tho, which is fine by me.

6. May 11, 2014 #6

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

Plank Junky Lifetime Supporter

I know one guy that had an issue with his- lost a 30cc RV-8. It was FRSKY, but I don't think it was the Taranis. I think his RX went bad. Anyhoo- I think this is a great option for electrics and sailplanes. Don't know if I'd trust it in a big plane. Still, great features and functionality. Probably as good as the Airtronics 2.4 stuff. Lots of people love that one.

7. Oct 10, 2014 #7

AEAJR

AEAJR

AEAJR

Looking for Lift

These are showing up a lot on the Eastern Soaring League competition circuit. People seem to love them.

For the giant scale guys, the basic radio is 16 channels but can expand to 32 channels. Anyone need more than 16 channels?