EF 110 Build

Discussion in 'Plane Registry' started by Ground Pounder, Dec 15, 2008.

Help Support Team Flying Circus by donating:

1. Dec 19, 2008 #41

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

Yes, I have seen the various claims. 26 1/4 is very hard to believe given the size of the plane. Must have been some primo balsa.

I am headed to the field tomorrow and will have one of the guys help me weigh it. Yes, there is nothing extra so it will be a function of the frame weight. The only available reduction would be 1100's all the way around and save a max of 6 oz.

BTW, thanks for the input on the 40% designs out there. We are always looking for something a little bit better, even if it may not exist.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  2. Dec 19, 2008 #42

Rod Bender

Rod Bender

Rod Bender

Team Flying Circus Lifetime Supporter

Real nice Bill,

Came out real clean, I noticed your propane heater in one of the pics, I had to laugh as I'm sitting here in the shop with my propane heater running as well. Still have a few inches of snow on the ground, that heat sure feels good on these winter nights.... Good luck tomorrow...

3. Dec 19, 2008 #43

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

I found that puppy at Home Depot 2 years ago. Heats my 3 car garage in about 10 minutes when it is 45 degrees outside. I use it to bring the garage up to temp and then have a AC/elec heat wall unit to maintain temp.

You do need to be VERY careful of running it full time. You are in an occupied encolsed area and the carbon monoxide can kill you.

I have not figured out a way to have a fresh/outside air feed for the intake side of the heater yet.

4. Dec 20, 2008 #44

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

Plank Junky Lifetime Supporter

I have the Home Depot Rosebud heater in my garage. It does well enough, but once the inside temp is over 40 I will keep the door cracked and let natural processes carry the bad stuff out the roof vent in my garage. With the predicted -20 this week it'll be like throwing a match into an avalanche.

I really like how this plane looks. Up here we need every square to weight we can get. If (God forbid) one of my planes gets retired I will be looking at the EF 110 very seriously.

Nice looking plane!

5. Dec 20, 2008 #45

PlaneBender

PlaneBender

PlaneBender

Hey Funboy, I was just thinkin about how frigen hot it was in Vegas when we went for the pinacolata slurpies..Funny now.

Hey Matt, if you come out to Mather tomorrow you can fly the 260. Forget that underpowered EF110.

6. Dec 20, 2008 #46

GmanBIll

GmanBIll

GmanBIll

7. Dec 20, 2008 #47

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

the link you posted was for a 20k BTU heater, and if you read the fine print it says "cannot be sold in California"! Lol

8. Dec 20, 2008 #48

GmanBIll

GmanBIll

GmanBIll

I know it says that but when I was there yesterday they had them, lol.

9. Dec 20, 2008 #49

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

Thanks for the info. I will check the two local stores. Looks like a good design.

Not a blast furnace like the heater (turbo charged noise maker-sounds like a F-16 taking off). The loud noise gets to be very irritating.

10. Dec 20, 2008 #50

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

I have never in my life seen a guy go from slurpie slurping to airplane hucking so fast! We got out of the truck, saw the mass hover, Dave ran over to his plane, started it, and was in the air doing lomcevaks less than a minute after we pulled in. It was crazy! Thank god the plane was fueled! Those were some good slurpee's too!

11. Dec 20, 2008 #51

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

Well it weighed 29 lbs 5 oz. Notice the past tense?

Second flight it sounded like the engine fell out so I had to chop throttle and dump it in. Ripped out the gear, trashed the pipe, etc, etc. The 5" spinner slung off and was hanging at a 45 degree angle. Total of 8 1/4 flights on this bird.

May repair or buy a new fus. Not sure yet.

12. Dec 20, 2008 #52

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

I hate it when that happens! Total suck. Got pics?

A apologize for my morbid curiosity, but seeing the sparse (light) structure inside I have to wonder how it held up.

I usually find that a few days after a crash the damage doesn't seem so bad.

Sorry for your loss-

13. Dec 20, 2008 #53

Fly N Dutchman

Fly N Dutchman

Fly N Dutchman

The Vinyl Master

Hey Bill if you decide to trash it give me a call. Dosn't look that bad!!
    You did a good save foe a BIG O S**T what is that?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  14. Dec 20, 2008 #54

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

The spinner came partially off. It was at 45 degrees when we got to where I plopped/dropped it in. Awful noise that sounded like the motor was coming out. Shaking like crazy.

Structure is very strong. Not an issue with any EF bird that I have owned. Very well built and designed.

I will own a 110. It is a great design. Only question is to repair or replace the fus and cowl..

The 85 was running great. Smooth, linear and strong. A great combo with the 1090.

And yes I am pissed.

15. Dec 21, 2008 #55

Fly N Dutchman

Fly N Dutchman

Fly N Dutchman

The Vinyl Master

Tell you what I would put that 85 up against any 100 any day that thing riped. Too bad that spinner couldn't hold up to that 85. Wasn't that a 100cc spinner?

16. Dec 21, 2008 #56

PlaneBender

PlaneBender

PlaneBender

It was a Nova Spinner. In Bills defense, He had no other recourse as the thing sounded like a chicken that got stuck in a tractors nuts. It barely had enough power to fly. I think that you did a great job concidering Bill.

Bender

17. Dec 21, 2008 #57

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

Thanks Dave & Duane.

Repairs are in progress. One side of the gear is sorta repairable. The other side was vaporized. It will take a couple of days but it will fly..... and the cowl will be double butt ugly. Bent and punched a 1" hole in the 1090.

It won't take any hard usage so I am ordering a new fus and cowl in a couple of weeks. Seems that with my last three birds, every time things really started cooking mega doom slams them into the ground.

Oh well, I'm not smart enough to quite and take up something safe like knitting.

18. Dec 21, 2008 #58

Fly N Dutchman

Fly N Dutchman

Fly N Dutchman

The Vinyl Master

shoot Bill I know a vinyl guy that can cover up that crack in the side with some thing I bet a lot cheeper than a new cowel. Juist depends on what you want!

19. Dec 21, 2008 #59

Rod Bender

Rod Bender

Rod Bender

Team Flying Circus Lifetime Supporter

Bill, That sucks big time, sorry for your loss...

20. Dec 21, 2008 #60

Lee McCrory

Lee McCrory

Lee McCrory

Man that sucks. Sorry to hear you had some teething troubles.
    I notice on the 85 the standoff idea has been abandoned as the engines prone to snappin em due to massive vibs off the 85 single lump. I wonder how the F1 bulkheadl is supposed to handle such aggressive knocks. Surely a twin would be kinder on the airframe?