EF 110 Build

Discussion in 'Plane Registry' started by Ground Pounder, Dec 15, 2008.

Help Support Team Flying Circus by donating:

1. Dec 17, 2008 #21

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

I still need to take a view more pic’s for the build segment so let me digress and go into the flight characteristics.

The base line is that I only fly 3D. There are two basic styles. High energy line Bender’s or the low energy like Mith’s. Frankly I like both a great deal and do a mix that tries to steal the best from both of their routines.

While Bender, Mith and I were at the St Louis Huckfest I watched a 110 with a 100 cc fly and was thoroughly unimpressed. The bird flew like a turkey. Incredibly boooring. The pilot did nothing to demonstrate the planes capabilities. However when flown in the Circus 3D throwdown style of flying it comes alive and really rises to the occasion.

My 102 QQ is a great bird. It is dialed in and fly’s exceptionally well. However the EF 110 is clearly a quantum jump in performance capabilities. Chris designs a big bird and takes full aerodynamic advantage of the increased size. The fus is huge and greatly enhances the low speed capabilities. I have not flown or seen any 35% bird that can low speed high alpha like the 110. The harriers are rock solid. Slow knife edge on the deck along the runway is a pure pleasure. Rolling loops are very easy, knife edge circles with snaps are very smooth and relaxing and the knife edge loops (no rudder/aileron coupling even at full deflection) are ridiculously smooth and easy.

A 40% bird is the typical “goal” for many in this group. The 110 probably gives you +95% of the performance of a 40% bird at a significantly reduced cost, helps to minimize the downside financial exposure if there is an accident and the transportation & logistics issues are simplified.

As for power, I would not use a 100 cc with mufflers. I would recommend either the 85 with the 1090 or the new RE-3 (not fully tested or qualified for 3D yet) or a 100 cc with pipes. Switching to the 28 x 10 Mej has made the 85 a stump puller. Vertical performance is ballistic.

I have not been able to weigh mine yet but the thing is BIG for a 35% bird. My 102 is 27 pounds and a few ounces. The 110 cannot be built at less than 28 lbs unless the balsa trees were grown in a pure helium environment. I have nothing in mine but the basics and it will not be under 28 lbs so I need the power from a pipe on the 85 or a 100.

Understand that I don’t have a lot of flight time yet so take my comments with a grain of salt. The one characteristic of Chris’s design that is not discussed is down elevator. Typically you need a small amount on many of the rolling maneuvers. With the CG as recommended I have had to reduce my usage of down by 70% so don’t be surprised if you have to adjust your normal inputs a bit. This has also been true of my 74" and 88" EF Yaks.

I still have a few more items for the build and flying portion but the bottom line is that this is one hell of a bird.

I am a very happy camper.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
  2. Dec 18, 2008 #22

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

The cowl plate that is provided is OK but the painted finish splits when you trim cut to fit it into the cowl. Not a clean look.

I ordered a 12 x 12 sheet of .008 CF from CST and laminated it onto a piece of 1/8 lite ply. After trimming and fitting t was only .5 oz heaver than the std cowl plate.

It is held with 6 dabs of PFM on the inside rim and Zap-a-dap to seal any gaps in the front.

The CF looks nice up front. I will add baffles this spring.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  3. Dec 18, 2008 #23

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

I used 48” elevator servo extensions. Longer than the 36" they suggested but it is a clean install and allowed me to easily move things around for proper placement.

The attached picture shows the small tie downs I installed to hold the wiring in place. The pads are mounted on a piece of lite ply that is glued to the formers using a piece of balsa diagonal stock.

The open loops allow me to easily change out the extensions if required.

Attached Files:

4. Dec 18, 2008 #24

Showtime

Showtime

Showtime

Circus Staff

I like the way that looks great job.

5. Dec 18, 2008 #25

AV8R

AV8R

AV8R

Awesome looking cowl plate!

6. Dec 18, 2008 #26

PlaneBender

PlaneBender

PlaneBender

Yeah, those extention loops look like a great concept for sure. Good job Bill!

7. Dec 18, 2008 #27

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

I only steal good ideas (from you) and this one certainly qualifies.

8. Dec 19, 2008 #28

Mithrandir

Mithrandir

Mithrandir

Circus Staff Lifetime Supporter

how would this plane fly with a 170???

he he he he ;)

9. Dec 19, 2008 #29

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

"Rip the wings off" would be seem to get to the core of the answer.

But if you could get some of that super secret :censored: CF/Ti laminated wonder material from work maybe it could be beefed up to handle the slight increase in torque and power over the curent DA 85 w/1090......

10. Dec 19, 2008 #30

ProBro Matt-chew

ProBro Matt-chew

ProBro Matt-chew

still twiddling my thumbs. waiting for my chance to fly it. i'm thinking it'll be way into next year before bill will let me have a pull.

matt.

11. Dec 19, 2008 #31

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

Rumor has it that you are too busy pulling on other things!

12. Dec 19, 2008 #32

ProBro Matt-chew

ProBro Matt-chew

ProBro Matt-chew

yeah, blue tape to fix my shp.

13. Dec 19, 2008 #33

Mithrandir

Mithrandir

Mithrandir

Circus Staff Lifetime Supporter

Hey... you will get a pull before I do!!! :eek:

Mode 1

14. Dec 19, 2008 #34

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

Initially I located be batteries just behind the wing tube. The CG was dead center of the recommended range. It flew very tail heavy. On a 45 degree inverted climb out (at 60% throttle) it continued to climb and do a huge outside loop. Low throttle down lines at idle were dead on. No deviations. Just a bit of elevator was required on knife edge. There was some roll coupling but I held off until I changed the CG. The DA was turning a 28 x 10 Xoar at 5650.

Per the attached pictures I moved the A123 bats up to the motor box. I also changed to a Mej 28 x 10 and the rpm jumped to 6600. Between the bats and the prop I moved a pound up to the motor box area. The CG is less than 1/8 behind the recommended forward position and it is perfect. Knife edge is ideal and the roll coupling is gone. Low speed characteristics and landing are ideal. Throttle response seems to be linear.

Here we go, Ford v Chevy. In this case the Duralite A123s worked out best. Since I had to install them in the motor box I did not want to screw with power plugs and balancing connectors. With the built in pc board I can easily unplug the deans, dump some power directly into the bats and let the board do the balancing. It is a very nice feature that works particularly well in this type of install.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  15. Dec 19, 2008 #35

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

Not much left in the fus with the bats up front.

And a glamor shot of me working on the plane.

Attached Files:

16. Dec 19, 2008 #36

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

The K&S pipe can be used with a solid or flex header. DA recommends the flex in order to absorb and mitigate some of the vibration. The SS flex blew out and burned the Teflon almost immediately.

I tried a quick fix that seems to have worked for the moment. I went down to the local speed shop and bought some 1” exhaust wrap by DEI. I soaked a section in water for a while to make it more pliable and then double wrapped the SS flex area of the header. I used the DEI SS locking ties to hold everything in place and then let it dry. Afterwards I unwound a long thread from a section of wrap and wound it around the whole bundle. At that point I heavily CA’ed it into a solid lump.

So far it has held fine and there is no blow through. It is worth a try if you have the same issue and is cheaper than buying a new header. The wrap seems to be a very good insulator so I put on a couple of nylon ties and will see if they hold up or melt.

Attached Files:

17. Dec 19, 2008 #37

ProBro Matt-chew

ProBro Matt-chew

ProBro Matt-chew

"Hey... you will get a pull before I do!!!

Mode 1"

i'm sorry!

your flying is still 100times better than mine.

'pounder', nice pics. i saw a new pz corsair in one of the pics, your holding out on us. just finished rebuilding my t-28, we'll have to get some combat in.

18. Dec 19, 2008 #38

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

I'm not sure that you're man enough to handle it.

19. Dec 19, 2008 #39

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

You will be at a disadvantage. For the last week I have booted up "Left 4 Dead" every evening and killed hundreds of zombies for about an hour. My ninja like reflexes are fine tuned to a razor's edge. You have no chance...... :maad:

20. Dec 19, 2008 #40

Bodywerks

Bodywerks

Bodywerks

Circus Staff

That is a good fix idea on the header, although I have never had a problem with flex headers, even on my 85 ( it only had 10 runs on it, but they were hard runs).
    It's interesting that you are sure you will not be under 28 pounds. Your build is about as light as you could get it without a complete rebuild, except for maybe going to 1100 A123's instead of the 2300's, and I'm sure there are a few places to drop an ounce or two.. But given your final CG and batt location, the 1100's probably would be a waste.
    My point? I have heard of weight ranges anywhere from 26 to 29.5 pounds. Maybe it is lighter than you think?