EF 110 Build

Discussion in 'Plane Registry' started by Ground Pounder, Dec 15, 2008.

Help Support Team Flying Circus by donating:

1. Dec 15, 2008 #1

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

EF 110 Yak

Having built several EF birds I’ll skip the std wing, stab and rudder stuff and get to the core of my build. The motor, air box, pipe and install details that can chew up a lot of time and effort.

I built this bird using the DA 85 and the K&S 1090 pipe. The DA 85 (in my experience) needs to have a pressure tape going back into the fuse. In addition the fus needs to be a pressure neutral environment. As a result I built a second removable firewall into the motor box in order to eliminate any pressure build up. Final results have proven to be very satisfactory in both my AW Yak and the new EF 110 Yak.

First the motor box. I continue to use the 1 inch hardwood blocks and then glue 1/8 ply to the four sides. Very light, extremely strong and minimizes any potential vibration due to unsupported stand offs. It is a easy process. I cut the blocks on a chop saw, drill them out and then lightly bolt the engine to the firewall. At that point it is easy to glue the 1/8 ply to the top and bottom. After a few hours and the epoxy sets I do the side plates. Note in the pictures that there is a small hole in the side for hi/lo needle access and a plate to help hold the guide straws in place. It has worked extremely well and makes adjusting the needles much easier.

Attached Files:

2. Dec 15, 2008 #2

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

Next the pipe. I am using the K&S 1090 and I had to chop out four sections ( about 24 inches long) to be able to slide it in. I also had to Dremel out the LG plate in order to clear the forward taper section of the cone. It was a bit of a pain but was worth the effort. I also used the K&S soft mount and found it to be very effective in holding the pipe in place. I used 1/8 lite ply in the tunnel for support and a 1/8 lite ply brace in the fus for additional support for the lock nuts. In addition I used a small 4-40 screw through the coupler and into the header and pipe to prevent any slippage. The clamps fit over the head of the 4-40 taper head screws. It has held rock solid so far.

I wanted to minimize the size of the opening so I made up a false bulkhead for the rear area and then CA’ed some balsa to act as a holder for the stringer. Once the Ultracote is applied the tension hold everything n place. Everything is easily removable if I need to pull the pipe. The front section was covered and the final exposed area is only 9 inches. The front portion is only 3/16 from the pipe but there are no heat issues at this point.

Attached Files:

3. Dec 15, 2008 #3

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

The rear bulkhead and stringer per the pictures.

Attached Files:

4. Dec 15, 2008 #4

Showtime

Showtime

Showtime

Circus Staff

Keep them coming.

5. Dec 15, 2008 #5

Fly N Dutchman

Fly N Dutchman

Fly N Dutchman

The Vinyl Master

Nice Bill keep them coming. I was looking at that bird my self.

6. Dec 15, 2008 #6

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

It is a great bird. I don't fall into the typical "fan boy" catagory where the latest bird is the best of the best. Good is good and marginal is marginal. However I have had a few flights and it is much much better than my 102. The low speed capability is outstanding and right up there with a 40% bird.

More to follow when I wrap up this mini build thread.

7. Dec 15, 2008 #7

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

Just realized that I left off the pic of the hi/lo needle guides.

Attached Files:

8. Dec 16, 2008 #8

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

The air box took a bit of thought but worked out quite nicely. I made a template from manila folder stock that was a snug fit about 1 ½” behind the firewall. I cut a piece of 1/8 lite ply to the template. Then a ply side stop and two ply stops on the floor to prevent the lite ply from moving forward. A little testing and I drilled two holes for the fuel and pressure tubing. Then a slot cut for the throttle pushrod and I was done.

In addition I cut a ¾ x 2 ½ hole in the bottom of the box (in front of the lite ply) to allow air pressure to vent and fuel spit to drain.

Three pieces of ply were used to fasten behind the lite ply. I used #2 cap head wood screws to lock them in.

The top hatch cover has a tab that presses forward on the top of the firewall. This insures that all four sides are supported from the rear.

Attached Files:

9. Dec 16, 2008 #9

Mithrandir

Mithrandir

Mithrandir

Circus Staff Lifetime Supporter

The slot is the only source of air to the carb???
    And it is right above your exhaust???

10. Dec 16, 2008 #10

TManiaci

TManiaci

TManiaci

Engineer Lifetime Supporter

Clarify for me....

The new firewall is intended to isolate the fuse cavity from the pressure created in the cowl due to the incoming cooling air, right?

Is the "neutral pressure fuse" for feeding the intake air to the carb, or just the pressure tap to the carb diaphram?

11. Dec 16, 2008 #11

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

Yes, it isolates the fus cavity from the cowl pressure build up. Nothing to do with feeding air to the carb, just for the pressure tap to the carb diaphram.

Any remaining pressure leakage into the fus is vented out the rudder cable slots. I ran the numbers. Net rudder slot area is 1.125 sq inches. And that doesn't even take any credit for leakage around the wing servos.

Mith, the bottom hole is to relieve pressure build up in the air box and fuel spit drainage. Plenty of air comes in around the sides of engine mount, feeds the carb and "stuffs" the air box. The carb only needs 1" of rear clearance in order to properly feed and have a unrestricted air flow.

12. Dec 16, 2008 #12

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

One other item. I ran the numbers on the inlet/outlet ratios. It works out to roughly 1:3.75 so there is plenty of area for the cowl air to properly exhaust.

13. Dec 17, 2008 #13

camss69

camss69

camss69

DDD

Hey Pounder,

Your avatar is kinda grossing me out a little...

14. Dec 17, 2008 #14

Mithrandir

Mithrandir

Mithrandir

Circus Staff Lifetime Supporter

You don't like Frumunda cheese pizza???

he he he he

15. Dec 17, 2008 #15

Lee McCrory

Lee McCrory

Lee McCrory

MY 110" has a MVVS 116 SWINGING A 30/8. THE SOUND IS FERKING AMAZING. Prop tip near super sonic in all attitudes. up, down on the level. Im proud to say ive one of the best sounding planes on the show circuit here in the UK.Sa real sexy noise.lol Id feel the plane had somat missing if it diddnt sound as Phat. I want plenty beans with loads o grunt. The twin 116 near as dam it gives as much power as a Da150. Defo sounds loads better too. Im lucky to fly at a fullsize airfield most of the time so the guys there expect propper noise.
    Theres way to much emphasis on pc lecky quiet clean convienient pantyness.lol
    A single in this plane or a 100cc would make me feel a little pissed. Just my 2 pence worth. Ive flown in slots with a 100cc 110" and mine was loads more fun i thought. These ef planes have such a light wing loading staying marginal on power seems daft. A 50cc on the 88" ef yak was never good enough for me so went to a 58cc and its so much better. The 88" is magic with a decent reliable power to weight ratio. I cooked 3 da50s hucking the 88. It was designed around a 60cc lump, im thinking the 110" wasnt really designed around a 85 so i wouldnt risk the underpowered nightmares that have followed me around.
    Lee.

16. Dec 17, 2008 #16

camss69

camss69

camss69

DDD

LOL.... I would hardly call this plane underpowered with the 85 on the pipe..

When I saw it fly it was on a xoar 28x10 turning 5600 if I remember right and it looked like plenty.

From what I understand pounder has changed it to a 28x10 mejzlik and it's at 6600 now and the setup has a very linear response. I haven't seen it fly that way yet but the 5600 xoar looked pretty damn good as it was.

I also think this plane comes in lighter than my 101 which is pretty much a minimal weight setup as it is, his with the pipe, mine with the pitts.

17. Dec 17, 2008 #17

Showtime

Showtime

Showtime

Circus Staff

I wish i had one of these planes. Was going to get one then stop my self now i am kicking my self. I am with Lee nothing better than when your plane is ripping from prop noise i love it.

18. Dec 17, 2008 #18

PlaneBender

PlaneBender

PlaneBender

Differant pilots have differant tastes for power. This EF with the set-up that Bill has installed outpreforms ANY 100CC bird I have ever flown (Power to weight) I flew this plane with the XOAR 28X10 turning 5600 on the ground. Now it has the Mejlik 28X10 turning 6600 on the ground. I know of no DA100 (Unless modified) that produces those numbers. I mean look at Mith, He flys a Compy SX at aprox 39-40 lbs and using a DA150 on cowl muffs and can do any and every 3D manuver with the use of no more than 3/4 throd. Afterall, 3D flying is the sole use of propwash and the ability to do aerobatics without the use of foward airspeed. But!, on the other hand I saw a guy this year flying a compy 2.6 330L with a DA150 and it looked like earthshaking fun.

My point: The EF110 in this build thread is ANYTHING but underpowered.
    Back to you Bill.....

19. Dec 17, 2008 #19

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

Son, you want some sausage on that pizza?

20. Dec 17, 2008 #20

Rod Bender

Rod Bender

Rod Bender

Team Flying Circus Lifetime Supporter

Ya Bill, keep those detailed pics n posts coming...