Dual Build New PAU 35cc Edge and 35cc Extra

Discussion in 'Plane Kits & Frames' started by Tseres, Jan 4, 2016.

Help Support Team Flying Circus by donating using the link above.
  1. Jan 4, 2016 #1

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

I've been waiting to build one of these planes for 5 yrs. That was when I first discussed with Herve that he needed smaller planes. He shut it down. He said that his business was Giant Scale Planes and that was where he will concentrate his efforts. I heard what he said but kept after him about smaller planes whenever I had an opportunity comment. Took him a couple of years and probably other people telling him that he needs smaller planes but he did give in. These two are the fist two offering from PAU. They have a 76 in WS and were designed for the 35cc class engines. one of the prototypes worked great with a VVRC-40cc Twin.

The Green Edge belongs to my friend Art Fry. He is putting a DLE-35RA in his. Electronics is going to be a mix of Spectrum, Hiteck and MKS.

My Extra is going to have a DA-35 with a pits muffler on it. Electronics is going to be Futaba, Savox and MKS. Both planes are going to have 6V LIFE batteries.

Got it un boxed checked out the contents and the parts bags. Every thing is there and no damage from the Brown Gorilla Package handlers.

Attached Files:

2. Jan 4, 2016 #2

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

More picks.

Attached Files:

3. Jan 4, 2016 #3

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

And some more.

Attached Files:

4. Jan 4, 2016 #4

thepamster

thepamster

thepamster

The Mistress of Biplanes Lifetime Supporter

Well isn't this exciting? A double build thread. Awesome.
    I like those wheel collars.
    Are those main gear Carbon or aluminum?
    They sure are well reinforced inside the fuselage.

5. Jan 4, 2016 #5

Super08

Super08

Super08

Official DA Fanboy ;) Lifetime Supporter

Apple green, apple green, oooooh I love apple green!!!! Wow did I ever mention how much I like apple green? MMMMMMMMmmmmmmm apple green. :willynilly:

thepamster likes this.
  6. Jan 4, 2016 #6

thepamster

thepamster

thepamster

I don't much care for the apple green myself.

7. Jan 4, 2016 #7

Super08

Super08

Super08

As for the big n small thing I thought the same as Herv. I was having a discussion with the owner of Thunderbolt RC when DLE came out with the original 30cc engine. He seen that the 30cc class would become the most common size. I didn't see it. My thinking was why bother, we already had 50cc why go smaller. The 20 and 30 cc engines were so much of a draw to bring the majority of the glow flyers over to gas. Now years later I am back flying my smaller planes more than my giant scale ones. I sold off most of my big engines and planes only keeping one 150, 120, 85, 60, and 50. I have three 35 cc engines. At one point I had the 275, 210, 200, and three 170's. It just got to the point where the big planes were getting to be too much a pita to take out to the field and took up too much room to store. I can grab a couple of 35cc planes, throw them in the back of the truck in a heartbeat and be on the way to the field. Taking out the big ones means hooking up the trailer, loading everything up and tying them down etc.

8. Jan 4, 2016 #8

Super08

Super08

Super08

Reminds you too much of overindulgence? :biggrin: :SICK2: :moon:

Tseres likes this.
  9. Jan 4, 2016 #9

thepamster

thepamster

thepamster

Lol. I've been mooned.:)

Tseres and Super08 like this.
  10. Jan 4, 2016 #10

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

Carbon. Painted.

Super08 likes this.
  11. Jan 4, 2016 #11

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

It looks even better in person.

12. Jan 4, 2016 #12

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

That is exactly the way I feel. That is why the Dalton is for sale. I don't like storing it and hauling it to the field. But once there is a different story.

13. Jan 4, 2016 #13

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

I've built so many of these Extras and Edges that its become second nature to build them. It's a good thing cause there are no manuals for these yet. Didn't hardly take any time to rough out the Cowl and mount the engine on the Edge. Good news is that the stock DLE standoffs fit almost perfect. Extra gets the engine mounted in the morning.:)

Attached Files:

14. Jan 4, 2016 #14

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

Few more.

Attached Files:

15. Jan 4, 2016 #15

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

PS. Don't tell Art he was holding the Compass backwards. We had to find the center of the circle so the pencil mark goes in the middle of the circle. the ring was already on there from tracing it of of the standoff.

16. Jan 6, 2016 #16

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

I mounted the DA35 on the Extra today. Just roughed out the Cowl to let the engine fit without binding. Mounted the tail gear on both planes. These get mounted with Wood screws so don't forget to harden the screw hole with thin CA. Started working on the ruder. Cut out the covering and trial fit the FG arms. I scuffed up where the glue will be to help it stick better. I'll glue them in tomorrow along with the ruder hinges.

Attached Files:

17. Jan 6, 2016 #17

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

Some more. :)

Attached Files:

18. Jan 6, 2016 #18

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

Today was "Mess Up Day". I cut the covering on the top of the aileron for the hinge points. No.No.No. That is not what your supposed to do. Only the bottom of the ailerons get cut open. I had to patch the top of the ailerons. When you get to building yours. Remember my mess up and don't do like I did. It all turned out good in the end and it's real easy to glue them in with Epoxy.

The other mess up was by the factory. The Stab Tube was about 1/16 to long. I called Herve and he wanted me to warn everyone reading this to check your stab tube. Do Not Try to force them on. You can crack the stab. I fixed it on my belt sander. Fits perfect. If you have to do this. Drip a little thin CA on the edge of the tube you sanded off to seal the fibers. Be care full not to get to much on there. What I do is drip it on then I wipe the Excess off right away with a paper towel.

Most of the Day was spent shrinking the covering. Cut some masking tape to go around the hinge point holes and glued the hinge points in only on one side. Wings, stabs and the fuse got the Glue today. I'll let it dry overnight then tomorrow I'll use Gorilla glue for the oter side of the hinge points.

The last picture is for ericb or whoever is interested in what the inside of the fuse looks like. I think it has lots of room for such a little plane.

Attached Files:

19. Jan 6, 2016 #19

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

More Pics.

Attached Files:

20. Jan 7, 2016 #20

thepamster

thepamster

thepamster

Wow you have gotten a lot done. I haven't received any notifications from here and just saw the double build thread at the other site.
    Those planes look very roomy inside.