Dragon link vs. Gas

Discussion in 'Giant RC Plane Forum' started by Dr. Jekyll, May 31, 2014.

Help Support Team Flying Circus by donating:

1. May 31, 2014 #1

Dr. Jekyll

Dr. Jekyll

Dr. Jekyll

Anyone using a 433meg. Reciever with a gas engine. Im trying to find out if there are any issues like back in the day with 72meg issues with noise from the ignition. Thanks.

2. Jun 4, 2014 #2

Dr. Jekyll

Dr. Jekyll

Dr. Jekyll

Wow, how Cirkus has changed. I remember the good old days when you could at least get a smart ass comment. Bummer. I guess I'll do some research elsewhere.

3. Jun 4, 2014 #3

aussiesteve

aussiesteve

aussiesteve

Or it could be that the good people around here have taken your question seriously, don't have experience with the setup you asked about and therefore didn't just answer for the sake of typing something irrelevant. :wink:

I fall into that category.

Let us know what you find out.
    If it is only ignition interference that is a concern, try some ground tests first (using whatever "Range check" your system allows and at the longest distance possible). If that checks out 100% fine, you could try flying the plane (up a couple of mistakes high) and if something happens, kill the engine immediately. Make sure you do it in a safe area where there are few other people around and that those who are around are aware of your testing.

Otherwise - use what is proven already (72 MHz, 2.4G etc).

And before anyone mentions that the suggestion of trying something out is dangerous - someone was the first to fly such things as 2.4 to see what happened.

4. Jun 4, 2014 #4

Dr. Jekyll

Dr. Jekyll

Dr. Jekyll

Good point Aussiesteve, just thought with 100 views, somebody was bound to know something.
    My UAS tech club ant Embry Riddle are building a new gas powered UAV for competition and since I'm the only guy with giant scale gas experience, I have taken the reins on this thing. I don't have any experience with a Dragon link with gas. I mean people are using it but the Circus people really know their stuff so I thought I would ask here before I put the clubs plane in the air, have something go really bad and then we can't go to the next AVUSI competition.

5. Jun 4, 2014 #5

stang151

stang151

stang151

Pucker Hucker

Dr. Jekyll, what E R campus do you go to? My kid is at the Prescott one.

6. Jun 4, 2014 #6

Dr. Jekyll

Dr. Jekyll

Dr. Jekyll

I'm in Daytona Beach. Really expensive school.

7. Jun 4, 2014 #7

stang151

stang151

stang151

Pucker Hucker

Yeah , tell me about it!! Hope He gets a good job to pay us back. He He , pay us back , thats funny I don't care who you are.

8. Jun 4, 2014 #8

Dr. Jekyll

Dr. Jekyll

Dr. Jekyll

Well I'm coming back to school at the age of 35 and it's not easy. At least your kid figured it out sooner. I'm hoping to get a good job too. The UAS market is going to explode once the FIA does their part.

9. Jun 4, 2014 #9

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Staff Member

Don't know how 433 and gas ignitions will get along. Partly because I don't have a HAM license and 433 requires a radio license at any power level in the U.S. 433 is usually more of a European use frequency. The penalties for getting caught if unlicensed are really severe. If you happen to be bouncing telemetry or video around from your home both the equipment in use, and the house, are subject to seizure and permanent loss. That doesn't look at the monetary fines. Even the 900, 1.3, and 5.8 stuff require a radio license.

So, I can't answer the question AND you managed to get a smart a$$ed answer all at the same time. OTH, 433 is a very long range radio frequency so if you're going to have problems they can happen a lot of miles out. I have flown aircraft using 900 & 400 transmitters on the same aircraft (video and telemetry) with 72mHz transmitters without issue but not with 2.4.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  10. Jun 4, 2014 #10

Dr. Jekyll

Dr. Jekyll

Dr. Jekyll

"So, I can't answer the question AND you managed to get a smart a$$ed answer all at the same time."
    Finally! thanks Tiredoldman.
    "We" as a University sanctioned body have the ham license. We have been using the UHF freq. with our electric Sky hunter and have done plenty of long range autonomous flight but now we got the funding to step up our game a little. The other University s that participant in the AVUSI are using UHF for control but I'm not sure of their gear or if they are using open sourced UHF system. As you can tell I've left the 3D relm and have been concentrating more on what I can do with this up coming market in UAS. But.... the 3D guys that I use to know and fly with are always a wealth of knowledge and that's why I posted her on Circus. By the way I still have my TT yak in my profile picture so I haven't completely grown away from 3D.

11. Jun 4, 2014 #11

lxcoupe

lxcoupe

lxcoupe

Can I say that?

Hey Pat... As far as the 5.8ghz band goes, I'm pretty sure you only need a license if you are over 1 watt and the TX has to have a fcc approval stamp on it.
    http://www.afar.net/tutorials/fcc-rules/

12. Jun 5, 2014 #12

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Staff Member

If that is true most everyone is gtg. Downside pf 5.8 is it gets blocked by just about anything you get behind. 400 is another story. I know that requires a HAM. I was looking for a system and found quite a few won't sell them due to the legalities/liabilities of selling to unlicensed users.

13. Jun 5, 2014 #13

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Staff Member

LX,

That's a nice link, thanks. There's some conflict between that and another info source I was looking at regarding power levels, but what's new? I'll read the actual FCC regs to see what they say. The allowable radiated power output noted in the link is pretty high when you consider how far 2.4 can reach at only a couple watts using a good directional antenna.

14. Jun 5, 2014 #14

lxcoupe

lxcoupe

lxcoupe

Can I say that?

:thumbsup:

15. Jun 5, 2014 #15

Dr. Jekyll

Dr. Jekyll

Dr. Jekyll

The bigger issue from a safety stand point is these guys using these big watt Vtx, is that it stomps on GPS signals if not laid out in the plane correctly which in turn takes away built in failsafes in the auto pilots. A lower watt, like 400 miliwatt with a circular polarized antenna set are a better option.

16. Jun 5, 2014 #16

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Staff Member

So true. GPS is a relatively weak from an RSSI stand point. it doesn't take much to wipe it out. I live close to a couple of HAM operators and I can tell if they're working with their toys on days I try to fly the quad. There's no hope of obtaining GPS when they are.

OTH, obtaining a HAM license costs very little aside from an investment in time and study. One only has to answer a low number (15-25?) of test questions provided by a local HAM operators club in the area and you're good for just about anything you would prolly ever want to use in the U.S. All for the lowest level HAM license you can obtain and you'll not have to be concerned about getting caught using equipment your not licensed for.

17. Jun 17, 2014 #17

LandsGrieco

LandsGrieco

LandsGrieco

GPS is a relatively weak from an RSSI stand point.