Dle 222 v3

Tired Old Man

Staff member
In our little engines the performance differences in brands won't be glaringly obvious. If they work as required and keep on working for a loooong time you'll have benefited immensely.

Jedijody

Proud father of Soldiers
In our little engines the performance differences in brands won't be glaringly obvious. If they work as required and keep on working for a loooong time you'll have benefited immensely.
First sentence, not necessarily correct. It's very easy to f'up a set of reeds. Thickness, stiffness, and resin properties are the most important factors. Rest assured that Boyesen knows what they're doing.

Second sentence, ... well duh!

Tired Old Man

Staff member
As so often happens. I'll disagree with your disagreement. If they function reliably there's not going to be a massive performance difference. You can gain or lose a little either way but our engines, including the fire breathing, saving the universe, exulted DLE 222, is not going to suddenly start pulling a plane double the weight of the one it did before. For the most part the reliability gained from having a set of reeds that function correctly is the largest benefit. Yea, duh.

If a company screws the pooch on the reeds initially is where the problems start. The manufacturer's design team is competent or they are not. As always, it's a shame if the customer has to over come initial design deficiencies, which if happens often enough, should be a message to future buyers. Nothing worse than buying something new and having to fix it.

Last edited:

Jedijody

Proud father of Soldiers
Nothing like stating the obvious.

You always disagree until you take the time to understand what the other is saying.

I've dabbled quite a bit with reeds. It's very easy to produce measureable performance differences with very minor changes.

But to say that if they function correctly and last a long time one will be happy with them, well ... that goes without saying.

Just sayin....

Last edited:

kwilson

Gold Member
I am not looking for any improvement in performance as my motor is running just fine. I just saw a buddy's reeds and they were totally shot after about 20 flights. The fact that they retail for $1.99 tells me they are probably not a top quality product, so I decided to pre-emptively replace mine.

Tired Old Man

Staff member
And that was the point I was making. If you buy low quality initially you'll only have to replace it sooner. It's the same old argument over getting what you pay for. and if the maker uses garbage and people continue to buy the stuff there's no impetus on their (manufacturer) part to make a change and correct the deficiency.

Jody inasmuch forced DLE to correct a DLE 30 induction problem a long time ago by shifting the sales focus from new product to corrective parts not made by the engine manufacturer..

kwilson

Gold Member
And that was the point I was making. If you buy low quality initially you'll only have to replace it sooner. It's the same old argument over getting what you pay for. and if the maker uses garbage and people continue to buy the stuff there's no impetus on their (manufacturer) part to make a change and correct the deficiency.
I agree, but I knew going in, it was a gamble. I was going off the success many seem to have had with the DLE, knowing I would need to replace the rings right off the bat and may also have reed issues. I have only ever owned 3W and DA in the past and would not even consider a Chinese engine. But, with the DA 200 not available (a friend has had one on backorder since Oct. 2012) I decided to give the lesser quality DLE a shot. So far, it has exceeded expectations for much less money. We will see how it holds up as I fly a LOT.

kwilson

Gold Member
Its pretty much crap. Prolly the resin is cheap crap too. I took the one that was split at an angle and pulled it apart to see how easily it tore. It felt like I was tearing a thin sheet of construction paper.

I flew yesterday with the new reeds. There was really not much difference other than MAYBE a slightly smoother idle and midrange. Not even really noticeable. I can tell the engine is making more power as it breaks in as it is spinning the 29x12 much too easily. It is also needing the low needles tweaked in just a bit. I will be trying the 31x12 next weekend and will report back afterward.

Inverted22

Hi all. Can anyone share an approximate fuel burn rate for the DLE 222? I've read through this thread and several people have posted X gallons for Y number of flights, but I'm looking for Z gal/hr (or whatever volume/time units are most useful to you). The engine is rated 21.5HP but only weighs 12.5lbs which is fantastic. Something has to give, though, so I'm guessing it burns an astronomical amount of fuel? Thanks!

Jedijody

Proud father of Soldiers
That depends on how you fly it. But for a general ball park, if driving it slightly hard, about 160cc per hour.

Inverted22

Thanks Jedijody, but something doesn't seem quite right. 160cc/hr equates to only ~1.8HP for an engine rated at 21.5HP (assuming gasoline's energy content is 42.4 MJ/kg and density of 719.7 kg/m3). Did you mean 1600cc/hr? Other? Did I screw up my math somewhere?

Jedijody

Proud father of Soldiers
:banghead: Yes, depending on load and how heavy your foot is, ~1600cc / hour = astronomical/lb.. The formula you used may not convert correctly for the engine's fuel consumption in the relatively light application of toy airplanes, the engine rarely gets application of full throttle. But then again, I'd never testify that a 222 makes 21.5 hp either.

Tired Old Man

Staff member
Let's see, propeller dia x pitch x speed of light /pi + marketing hype - selling price = hmmm, yep, that comes to 21.5 hp

Inverted22

Ah! I didn't realize you guys rarely apply full throttle. That probably explains most of the units mismatch.

No one believes the 21.5HP, eh? Me neither, but I figure it has to be close. Probably a 25% derating is what I was notionally thinking.

Thank you for the info, all!