Dle 222 v3

My crappy DLE 222v3 hit its 70th flight today. So approx. 35 gallons through the motor. Decided to try to keep it quiet (which is very hard by the way) and bolted on my Mejzlik 28.5x12x3 blade. Prop pulls extremely well. Did do a tach on it before I actually flew it. Using my Fromeco tach the peak reading was 6680 rpms but was settling in the 6550 range.

The best part was not worrying about having to jockey the throttle so much in the roller. Just one less thing to have to think about. Fabulous prop on this motor. And I still don't need full power in any maneuver.

Also slower downlines and much easier to bring the plane to a pseudo stall for the spin in the advanced sequence.

Super08

Official DA Fanboy ;)
Lifetime Supporter
So far I have only heard of one having any problems. If I remember it was a ring hooking an exhaust port.

So far no word of any crank problems, that is a very good sign. :thumbsup:

kwilson

Gold Member
Well I fired mine up for the first time Saturday. It is running the Mejlik 29x12 3 blade on KS 95 cans. Needles are at the location indicated in the manual. I went ahead and installed the Bowman rings right out of the box and am running Stihl HP Ultra at 50:1. Got in 7 flights on Saturday after about 45 minutes of running at about 2500 rpm. I noticed the idle steadily improved as the day went on and the compression has increased. Full throttle uplines are amazing as I love the way it accelerates out of a double snap. It rips the crap out of the 29x12 so I can only go to full throttle on uplines and really don't even need it then. If it holds together, this will be one hell of an engine.

Super08

Official DA Fanboy ;)
Lifetime Supporter
They seem to still be holding up. The boys down in Ca. must have quite a few hours on them now. Still curious to see if it changes to a 240 in a year or so.

kwilson

Gold Member
Tached mine yesterday at a peak of 6715 rpm on KS-95 rear dumps and Mejlik 29x12n 3 blade. A buddy is going to let me try a 31x12 at the Ocala contest in a couple of weeks. One of our local guys had an issue with his last weekend. The reeds actually chipped at the ends causing it to run poorly, especially at idle. We checked online and they are only a couple of dollars, but obviously not good quality. We found that a company called Boyesen makes both fiberglass and carbon fiber reeds and I want to go ahead and order a set. Does anyone here have experience with this company? Is there a better solution?

psycho-patch

Tached mine yesterday at a peak of 6715 rpm on KS-95 rear dumps and Mejlik 29x12n 3 blade. A buddy is going to let me try a 31x12 at the Ocala contest in a couple of weeks. One of our local guys had an issue with his last weekend. The reeds actually chipped at the ends causing it to run poorly, especially at idle. We checked online and they are only a couple of dollars, but obviously not good quality. We found that a company called Boyesen makes both fiberglass and carbon fiber reeds and I want to go ahead and order a set. Does anyone here have experience with this company? Is there a better solution?
That's the ones you want!!

JeffinTD

Interesting. I didn't know Boyesen made products for rc airplanes, but they have always been a big name in reeds for motorcycles and snow machines.

Jedijody

Proud father of Soldiers
They just recently began making them for the DLE111 when someone sent them some for a pattern then also paid an extra $100 for a set up fee. They now stock them for the 111 V3 only, I think they're about $30. I know of no other RC aircraft engine that they make reeds for.

Bunky f. knuckle

Cover shot, MA 10/09!!!
Problem with that is, they are gonna be more expensive than anything. Best bet is to get some 3W reeds. I think those will fit. Or buy a new set of DLE reeds, cut the old ones in half and use the old ones to bridge the new ones.

JeffinTD

Interesting. They were the name for higher performance and more durable reeds.

I wonder if they will expand their line and reduce prices.

Tired Old Man

Staff member
Problem with that is, they are gonna be more expensive than anything. Best bet is to get some 3W reeds. I think those will fit. Or buy a new set of DLE reeds, cut the old ones in half and use the old ones to bridge the new ones.
3w reeds are Boyesen's;) as were the reeds in the DA 50. Don't know if they still are.

JeffinTD

Wow, I would not have guessed that, but once you mention it, it makes perfect sense. They must have emense experience when it comes to reeds that perform, and last.

kwilson

Gold Member
They just recently began making them for the DLE111 when someone sent them some for a pattern then also paid an extra $100 for a set up fee. They now stock them for the 111 V3 only, I think they're about $30. I know of no other RC aircraft engine that they make reeds for.
They now sell both fiberglass and carbon fiber sets. They said the carbon fiber reeds provide a little better performance and the fiberglass will last slightly longer. I opted for the fiberglass at $25 per set vs. carbon fiber at $40 per set. Shipping was $5 and they accepted PayPal. Very nice to deal with.:thumbsup:

kwilson

Gold Member
They should arrive Friday and I will install them Fri night. Going flying Sat or Sun and will report back.