Dle 222 v3

Flatspinjim

The 3 dubbs aren't immune to breaking cranks either. Been quite a few cases reported.
The one nice thing about the DA's is the crank doesn't break, it just twists. I talked to Tony about mine, which has a bunch of flights on it, and he told me there are a ton of them out there with no problems and if mine hasn't twisted by now it probably won't. The other thing that is great about DA is I can send it in this winter for a look over.

aussiesteve

Dudes - I was only having a little fun when I posted those things. (Damn fanboys LOL)

My real opinion is that quads in general are more problematic to own than their power makes it worth. Unless you particularly want that sweet sound or have an airframe that is specifically designed (and tested) around - such as the CARF Sukhoi.

When the manufacturers use a solid forged crank billet (Which will force them to assemble them with split big end caps and splt crankcases) then the crank problems may disappear but until then, there is an inherent weakness in the design of all the offerings.

Flatspinjim

Dang 3 dubb fanboys. :biggrin: Just ribbing back.
The 4 cylinders work great for IMAC. They just have that tractor like torque so you can fly constant speed. Plus they just sound cool as hell!

Speaking of one piece cranks, I believe the Mintors used them. I'm not positive though. That's the one quad that didn't have crank problems, just everything around the crank. :banghead:

aussiesteve

LOL
Damnit - I can't disagree with you :biggrin::thumbsup:

Ok - back to the original topic.
Wherever I search, it seems the uptake of the V3 DLE is somewhere between slow and near non-existent. I wonder if that is because of the issues the V1 and V2 had that people have simply become too wary to risk it. If that is the case - it would be a good warning to some other engine suppliers.

Super08

Official DA Fanboy ;)
Lifetime Supporter
Jim the one I just bought was sent to DA for a check up before I bought it. The crankshaft was good as well so hopefully it stays that way. Mine is seral # 146, I sent an email to Jeff to get the age and history on it. The only mark on it was from some idiot that must have taken the pilot shaft out for some reason and used a pair of channel locks to hold the hub. Unfricken believable!! I cleaned up the marks with a tiny file and then polished it up. Doesn't look too bad now. Maybe someday I will put a new hub on it. Other than that is was just a bit dirty from an exhaust leak that had black oil spots all over it. A bit of BBQ cleaner and some Q-tips fixed that. Looks like new now. I looked inside the cylinders with a flashlight and all the jugs look real good. The pistons have no carbon build up on them to speak of and I can see the arrows on the tops that point to the exhaust port. The rings look to be well broken in. It was missing the link to join the two carb arms so I made one up and put it on. To sinc the two carbs I looked inside and set them so the butterflys passed the holes drilled in the bore for the midrange mixture at the same time. Then for fun I weighed it. All in all a good deal for only 2200 with exhaust.

Attachments

Flatspinjim

Doug, that was a steal! Especially since they haven't been in production for 2 years, and so many guys are wanting them.
I scoured the internet for 2 days and just happened to find a hobby shop in Cali that had one in stock, had the lightened jugs to boot.
I'll bet it holds up just fine.
What prop are you planning to run? I had a Falcon 30X13 on mine and really I'm not too impressed with it. I tried a Mej 31X12 and liked it much better.
Dean Bird brought his Compy to one of our contests and I thought his pulled much better than mine, but I can't remember which prop he had. Both our planes are 41 1/2 pounds.

Super08

Official DA Fanboy ;)
Lifetime Supporter
I am not sure at this point, I have a bunch that I am going to try and see what I like. Everyone seems to like the 30x13EvoL but I think it would be a bit weak in thrust on the Sukhoi. I wonder how a 32x10 would work on it. I have my 31x12 on my 170 with RE3's right now and love the performance. Most of the Sukhoi's are coming in around 45 lb.

Dean Bird

Lifetime Supporter
What prop are you planning to run? I had a Falcon 30X13 on mine and really I'm not too impressed with it. I tried a Mej 31X12 and liked it much better.

Dean Bird brought his Compy to one of our contests and I thought his pulled much better than mine, but I can't remember which prop he had. Both our planes are 41 1/2 pounds.
I was running a Mejzlik 30 x 13 EvoL at the Mile Hi RC contest. It is very loud if you go over half throttle on the horizontal line.

Super08

Official DA Fanboy ;)
Lifetime Supporter
Dean I was going to slap on my 30x13EvoL for a test on the stand. What static rpm are you seeing?

Flatspinjim

I was running a Mejzlik 30 x 13 EvoL at the Mile Hi RC contest. It is very loud if you go over half throttle on the horizontal line.
Thanks for chiming in Dean. You've heard my plane, with the Jtecs it's loud anyway. Lol I'll have to try the 30x13 Evo L. I've got a feeling I'll need that prop on the Carden with a 170 and re 3's too.

Dean Bird

Lifetime Supporter
Dean I was going to slap on my 30x13EvoL for a test on the stand. What static rpm are you seeing?
Huh? ;)

No clue. It actually flies too fast on the upline at full throttle.

I'm switching to a 3 blade to try and be quieter on the horizontal lines where I have an 8 point roll and an upline where I pull up and go to full throttle right in front of the judges. :yikes:

Super08

Official DA Fanboy ;)
Lifetime Supporter
OK thanks. I found a couple of results on the net and it looks like I am right in the ballpark. I was just looking for a baseline to compare my 200 to as it was purchased used just to see if it was OK.

The last time my 200 came back from Tucson it tached 6580rpms. Y-Headers and rear dump KS95's. It didn't last long though...:cryin:

BTW, I weighed a 222 and it's 10-6oz. On my plane the SWB mount won't be needed so that's another 2 oz. savings. That's only 7 ounces difference over a 200L. Nice that the DA headers bolt right up to the 222.

Super08

Official DA Fanboy ;)
Lifetime Supporter
The last time my 200 came back from Tucson it tached 6580rpms. Y-Headers and rear dump KS95's. It didn't last long though...:cryin:

BTW, I weighed a 222 and it's 10-6oz. On my plane the SWB mount won't be needed so that's another 2 oz. savings. That's only 7 ounces difference over a 200L. Nice that the DA headers bolt right up to the 222.
When I ran mine up after tweaking the needles a bit it spun at 6570 peak and then settled at 6510 steady.

Classclown

Some guy at the field had the audacity to tell me that Fox made better engines than DA once. We all laughed our butts off, the twit packed up his crap and took off. Sometimes, you just have to shake your head about some people in this hobby...

Flatspinjim

Some guy at the field had the audacity to tell me that Fox made better engines than DA once. We all laughed our butts off, the twit packed up his crap and took off. Sometimes, you just have to shake your head about some people in this hobby...
I'm sure he was probably jealous of the DA's, but had to justify his lame purchase. :banghead:

Classclown

I'm sure he was probably jealous of the DA's, but had to justify his lame purchase. :banghead:
That was the thing, he didn't even own a Fox200. Most probably never even saw one run.
I saw one run, damn thing shook worst than my old ZDZ210, and I know that his prop was balanced.