Dle 222 v3

aussiesteve

Hi Guys
Anyone here got good or bad expereinces with the DLE 222 V3?
A Buddy is looking at buying one (he is giving up waiting on a shiny 200 quad) and asked me about them. I told him I would ask here as the people whose opinions I respect mostly hang out here

Not interested in hearing about the earlier versions and their problems, we know all about those - just the V3 if anyone has actually seen good or bad on them.

(yeah - I know - Me asking about a Chinese Engines - I have my flame suit on but it's his money - not mine :biggrin:)

Bunky f. knuckle

Cover shot, MA 10/09!!!
Atleast you are thinking this time!! LOL!!!

[ame]http://youtu.be/fweXxARN9g4[/ame]

This is just the maiden on a friends airplane that he did a week or so ago If I remember right, he has the V3. It is a brand new engine.

Super08

Official DA Fanboy ;)
Lifetime Supporter
I seen that on FG as well. New pinned crankshaft and split crankcase. Question is will it hold up this time?

Tired Old Man

Staff member
Wait until next season to make a buy decision. That should give enough time for the good and bad to reveal themselves. Just like a new car model, let those that always have to be the first on the block with the new toy be the guinea pig.

Flatspinjim

I've only seen the one guy on FG with the new version. I think the previous versions scared a lot of people off from them. Like Pat says, it might be awhile before the problems start showing up. My version 1 had a couple hundred flights on it before the crank broke.

Super08

Official DA Fanboy ;)
Lifetime Supporter
The forums have been rather quiet on this version, I was starting to wonder if everyone was afraid to try it.

Super08

Official DA Fanboy ;)
Lifetime Supporter
It has a ton of power but extremely heavy unless you need the weight up front. I toyed with the idea of one for a while.

aussiesteve

:biggrin:

Ah heck - youse DA Fanboys are all the same - I only posted it for a windup because the choices are so limited in that size range. :biggrin:

In reality, like both engines so wouldn't care either way but how DA is marketed here in West Aus (by Peer group pressure) makes me steer away from them - it's a personal thing akin to beating up bullies.

As for the weight - it's about where the CofG of the engine itself is also :wink:
Whilst the 3W is ~ 1 1/2 lbs lighter (configuration for configuration) than the 3W, it is also ~ 40mm shorter so the CofG of that is quite a bit further forward once mounted. This can negate the weight saving / balance issue in many of the intended airframes.

In reality what choices are there in a ~200cc quad? -
DLE (Hopefully got them right now),
DA - (Hopefully got them right now too)
3W - (Heavier)
Mintor - (yeah - right - BWAhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha :incazzato:)

There really isn't much else in the power range of these (Quad or otherwise) unless we go to significantly more power.

FWIW - the person I referred to in the original post ended up getting a DA 200.

Super08

Official DA Fanboy ;)
Lifetime Supporter
DLE 222 has the biggest bang for the buck, but will it be the one that goes "bang"?
DA 200 runs like a dream and is very light with the milled heads. (under 10lb) It has the least power of the 4 engines but is no slouch. I have to hand it to Desert Aircraft as they stand behind their products.
3W220 is a powerhouse but it comes at the expense of weight. It is by far the heaviest of the four by a long shot. The true weight measured by owners is even higher than the advertised weight. Somewhere around 13 lbs plus not including ignitions.
Mintor 220 really showed promise when it first came out before the whole company came tumbling down with QC problems.

Super08

Official DA Fanboy ;)
Lifetime Supporter
As for the weight - it's about where the CofG of the engine itself is also :wink:
Steve this is why I decided not to use the 33W210 I bought in my Sukhoi. Not only the fact that it is so heavy but I have to move that mass so far forward because it only has two cylinders not the four the plane was designed for. I would have had to mount the rudder servos in the tail and add lead to the tail to make it balance. It is already a heavy plane by design and by using that engine it would have pushed the weight up to around the 50 lb mark or possibly higher. :willynilly: