denied acces

3ddd

divorce,only way to fly
what is this crap,,i am a paid member of this site and i click on the picture of making battery mounts easy and get a message my account dosen't have enough permission to veiw,,,this is crap:banghead:

Bunky f. knuckle

Cover shot, MA 10/09!!!
It is part of the "technical articles" that is going on. I don't have access to it either, and I'm a premium member too. It just isn't you having the issue. I don't understand why that sub forum is private??

psycho-patch

No it not. It is part of the program Austin said would happen. It has to be a thread complying with the rules of the thread content set forth to be acceptable then will be posted after that. Obviously being seen on the home page as just a title and no access to it needs to be addressed. I believe that was already an undertaking by T.O.M.

red7fifty

BadAss Member
They are working on it.......:thumbsup:
I just submitted another article, how to balance your Big-Ol spinner.
After review and approval, it should be accessible.

Tired Old Man

Staff member
I'll get a message to Austin about this later today. perhaps the authors of the articles need to let Austin know when each article is complete before he will open them up for general viewing. Red7fifty is doing some nice stuff and I'd like to get them published in the open forum.

Be advised the down side of publishing these articles will be the desire of some to pick someone else's work apart so I'd expect the moderators to watch out for that kind of stuff and act accordingly. Failure to do that could cause some authors to become discouraged and not post new stuff, which I do not want to see happen. Q and A would be great, along with suggestions of alternate methods of doing things but critical attacks on the subject matter would be viewed as very bad form.

red7fifty

BadAss Member
Good points TOM,

I sent Austin a PM about another sub.

I thought the first one was good to go, but perhaps there is still some system hiccups. Glad 3ddd posted something about it.

Your comment about negs, is right on........it is the very reason I stopped build threads on RCU 10 years ago. :smash:

Plus now, it's all commercial vendors.
:prrr:

Classclown

Is the spinner balancing topic done? I have one of those Chinese carbon jobs that needs balancing. I couldn't balance the cone, but the backplate was way out of whack, that balanced out easily. I need a longer balance shaft. for the cone. Maybe use a flybar from a heli or something...

Tired Old Man

Staff member
Hold off on doing that. To re-post would make watching over the subject matter a considerably more difficult endeavor for the mods. I've sent off a PM to Austin, and you're sending a "finis" note should help move things forward.

I've looked at your submittals and rather like them. I sort of expect to see some subject matter expansions offered but that would be normal. At this time I do not know if any outside input would be permitted to the article threads. Personally, I'd prefer there to be something like a branching thread for people to add questions for answers and possible add expansive input. I don't like the idea of getting the primary thread "dirty" with a lot of stuff that would make ease of following the original subject more difficult. But that's just me and the concept of the article publications is Austin's alone, making any such decisions his to execute.

Good Lord, I've just become politically correct:cryin: Forgive me the moment, it won't happen again;) Too bad I can't bring myself to do that at work.........

red7fifty

BadAss Member
Clown, the Heli flybar would be a great arbor.
You have to center the cone, best you can.
I have found, that even with a slightly bent arbor, you can still get a balance.....you rotate the arbor 180 degrees, and recheck. If the results are the same, you should be good to go.
(I learned this, called "Compensate" when I learned to do 4-wheel computer alignment on cars)
By flipping the arbor 180 and rechecking, your cancelling out any discrepancy.
You can make up custom centering cones, using fuel tubing, Sullivan rubber nuts (from the Gold-N-Rods) brass tubing, masking tape rolled around and around, wheel collars, or any combination of above.
My thread shows, me using a long Higley drill bit, a wheel collar to retain the stock centering cone on the pointy side of the spinner, and brass tubing on the back plate side.
Self stick Lead Tape (sold for balancing golf clubs.....otherwise, it's a hard item to locate)
After cutting squares of lead tape, the spinner cone comes to rest in any 360 degree location. Rotating the drill bit arbor 180 degrees, yields same results.

red7fifty

BadAss Member
TOM, I typed up the above blabber, while you were working on yours.
Anyway, how about this idea......if anyone had questions or feedback or other input, couldn't they post a new thread inquiry?
Huston posted a thingy about prop choice, and people will chime in when they see it.
Generally, if posts go unanswered, a "Anyone" will bump it back up, right?

Tired Old Man

Staff member
TOM, I typed up the above blabber, while you were working on yours.
Anyway, how about this idea......if anyone had questions or feedback or other input, couldn't they post a new thread inquiry?
Huston posted a thingy about prop choice, and people will chime in when they see it.
Generally, if posts go unanswered, a "Anyone" will bump it back up, right?
I've been following your work in the Huston prop thread and agree. Threads such as those should be "anybody" type threads as long as the information provided is relatively accurate. The hard part of all that is avoiding conflicts generated by opposing viewpoints. But those can be good too, especially when there is more than one way to accomplish the same end. Bumps are often good because people can be distracted and only focus on the "Today" thread activities, driving something of importance off the primary active listing.

I prefer the person seeking assistance be the one doing the bumping but more than one person could have similar questions, prompting them to bump the thread to obtain more activity.

This is turning out to be a terrible day. You've got me thinking like a manager or system planner......

red7fifty

BadAss Member
Tell me about it....spent a lot of last night checking out the 40% in preparedness for today....
I should be out there right now....winds are at a 45 degree cross wind (doesn't bother me one bit), and 18~23 mph.
Overall, good flying weather for me, but, only 1 of my normal crew of 3, is available today, and he won't be here for a couple more hours.....If I go out today, I won't have my plane set up till after 4pm......so, It might be another work-on-stuff-around-the-house day.
This :prrr:, however, still makes me laugh a little.

red7fifty

BadAss Member
Hey, Question:

When the wind direction says 300 degrees, or NW.....does that mean the wind is coming FROM that direction, go GOING that direction?

Classclown

And yeah, a flybar will work great for the spinner, I just got exasperated when I couldn't find my flybar tapered weights and collars to lock them in place, and just decided to use a TruTurn spinner I had sitting around. Never went back to balancing the cone. Anyway, I did get the backplate done, but forgot about the cone.