DA/DL50, DA 85, DA 100 Stats

ben_beyer

Ok, I'm trying to gather data on a few different model engines in order to make statistical determinations on performance and comparisons. If you're interested in how the DA 85 compares to the DA 100 or how the DA 50 really compares to the DL 50, then I need your data. This IS NOT to start any brand or model wars. It is to make a true comparison using engines around the country.

Please send what engine you have, the top RPM (taken with a tachometer), what prop(s) you're using, what's your exhaust set up (specifics are welcome), and what the altitude of your flying field is to [email protected].

The comparison will only be as good as the data set and I need people to contribute. This is discreet so no one can start any arguments and so there's no need for you to inflate your RPM numbers.

I will post the results once I have enough data to make the comparison. For those who care to know, I'm going to be using SAS 9.1 with a mixed model (Proc Mixed) approach. I'm going to separate the groups by engine and exhaust among the props. Depending on it's effect, I may also further separate by altitude. Probably go with 0-3500 ft. and 3501-7500 ft. ranges, but we'll see once I get some data. I'm going to consider engine and exhaust as fixed effects and altitude as random effects. My model will be RPM = engine | exhaust | altitude.

Mithrandir

Circus Staff
Lifetime Supporter
Here is some statistical data... on two QQ Pythons, one with a DA100, the other with a DA85, from a stand still hover.. they did a vertical drag race... Identical performance!!! Of course the DA 85 Python was a little lighter... Still remarkable!

Gmoney

Circus Staff
How many entries can one person do? I have Data from sound testing and prop and muff specs are all included.. I bet I have over fifty different combos.. and dozens of duplicates to use as back up.. I hope I can find that folder.. DOOOH!

ben_beyer

Send me all the data you have. If you own 10 DA 100's, that just helps with the statistics.

Those who contribute, go ahead and let me know what oil you're using and at what ratio. Might look for comparisons within prop and engine with different oils and ratios.