Columbo Anderson Rebuild

MikeC3D

When Good Fruit Goes Bad
DIAGONALS.....left to right...top to bottom...
Whenever Bob and I are doing this we constantly insert wt/st and try and twist it to see where the flex is and install more DIAGONALS....lol
When we pulled out my yak out of the box it flexed like a limp wristed queer at a weenie roast....lol

BRUTUS

Plank Junky
Lifetime Supporter
Trusses are a basic building block of any rigid rectangular structure. It blows me away that someone would put an airframe into production without them. Just goes to show- nobody's perfect...

10+

Professional Moderator
Photos tmr for sure.. I got 90% of the covering off last night and i got the rudder almost cut up.. Ran out of juice on my cordless grinder. (I need another couple batts for her). I tried twisting the airframe last night and I can barely get it to budge. I am gonna have the neighbor hold on to it for me after the holiday and see if I can get it to twist. I will say the rudder isn't as stiff as it once was.. It is also a lot lighter.

I am going to have the fuse done by Xmas for sure..My goal is to get her assembled (fuse) and back on her feet my January 1st.

Then only (4) surfaces left to do (wings and stabs)

I will need to stop for awhile so I can get the motor and cowl mounted and finished for the 89"er. I keep saying that heck I even cleaned up the shop and moved everything over then Ah, just layout the holes in the rudder, that was the rest of the night peeling, sanding and thinking man I can take a lot of thick ply out of this sucker..

I have decided to put SPADS on all my planes. I love then.. Think about it when was the last time you repaired the trailing edge of a wheel pant.. Its always the front that cracks or right and the gear leg. Never at the rear..

10+

Professional Moderator
Spads are gay and the mounting BS needed is heavy. Not one of your brighter comments:)
Come on man... SPADS on an extra... You can point and laugh at the next fly-in. If she is under 30lbs they are staying if she is over 30 your right they can sit in the trailer..

Bright moments.. Your talking to a guy that buys CRASHED airplanes..

Oh, on that note I am always on the look out for 70" and 89" 3dhs carnage. I also have a deep need for the 126 slick.. I have a guy that has some parts and I think I will buy those after the first of the year. So if you stick your 126" slick call me.. I need wings and I think a cowl..

10+

Professional Moderator
Earlier I had mentioned removing two hose clamps. They were on each side of the wing tube socket.
hose clamp.jpg
My shop buddy PANCHO
pancho.jpg

10+

Professional Moderator
striped.jpg

striped (1).jpg

She is just about 90% stripped of monokote.. I am going to be sanding for awhile. The last guy to cover this girl did a great job of getting it down and keeping it down.

10+

Professional Moderator
In the bottom of the rudder there are FIVE of these hard points installed. All must GO!
old dard [points.jpg

10+

Professional Moderator
A lot of times I hear guys say "Hey I would do that if I had that shop or those tools" Yeah so far this is all I have used plus some sand paper and elbow grease. I am using my table saw as a stand.

tools.jpg

10+

Professional Moderator
I looked around and I think this is this plane just after a couple more guys had there hands on it. There was a few CA's that sort of got tossed around our area. I knew of four. I am going to check the wings but I am dang sure this is the airframe I have now. I will send Ole Rabbit a PM and see if I can get the goods on the bird. I am pretty sure he even weighed it. Not sure if he was drinking the 3W koolaid in that video but if he was that was a 3W170.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/user/TonyManiaci#p/u/7/rd1uMD_2FJE[/ame]

RcPilot82

Kustom Aero Designs
Looks great! I Have a 34% Planes Plus Extra(same as the CA) and if I ever get my Edge fixed up, the Extra is going on a similar diet. it weighs in at 27.5# now but I know I can get it down to 25.5 or 26# :)

I'll be watching and taking notes.

10+

Professional Moderator
Looks great! I Have a 34% Planes Plus Extra(same as the CA) and if I ever get my Edge fixed up, the Extra is going on a similar diet. it weighs in at 27.5# now but I know I can get it down to 25.5 or 26# :)

I'll be watching and taking notes.
I think taking 3-5 lbs out should not be a problem. I am going to take my box of removed items and weigh it at the post office. I'm thinking almost 5lbs. I'm sure you are know but if you get over to FG and look up two guys. MikeC3d and Sensei. Look for threads they have started. Truly a wealth of knowledge an cutting the fat. Sensei is more the one off design it build it prove everybody wrong MikeC3d is like a lot of us studying the master but he took a 40% yak and cut mass amounts of weight out of her. That is really what gave me the confidence to tackle this one.. That and I don't have a 150cc motor so might as well take a couple weeks and cut her up and toss my 106 in there. Man I could loose another 1 1/2 almost 2lbs if I put a DA in there and man a BME 116 would be closer to 3 lbs. but I have to run what I gots so. Anyways get yours out and lets compare notes.. Get your grinding whee. out and lets make some dust.

RcPilot82

Kustom Aero Designs
I think taking 3-5 lbs out should not be a problem. I am going to take my box of removed items and weigh it at the post office. I'm thinking almost 5lbs. I'm sure you are know but if you get over to FG and look up two guys. MikeC3d and Sensei. Look for threads they have started. Truly a wealth of knowledge an cutting the fat. Sensei is more the one off design it build it prove everybody wrong MikeC3d is like a lot of us studying the master but he took a 40% yak and cut mass amounts of weight out of her. That is really what gave me the confidence to tackle this one.. That and I don't have a 150cc motor so might as well take a couple weeks and cut her up and toss my 106 in there. Man I could loose another 1 1/2 almost 2lbs if I put a DA in there and man a BME 116 would be closer to 3 lbs. but I have to run what I gots so. Anyways get yours out and lets compare notes.. Get your grinding whee. out and lets make some dust.
I am not going to be starting this project any time soon. right now the extra is my only big bird to fly so it stays put together. After I get the Monocoupe done I may jump in to her. Keep up the weight loss program. you should save almost a pound on that rudder for as big as it is, lol.