Columbo Anderson Rebuild

10+

Professional Moderator
NO luck on the scale.. I need to find a cheap digital scale so I can get this thing kicked off right. I will hit Walmart later tonight see what I can find.

Its time to finish up the tear down on the Yak. I need the room in the trailer. Amazing how many dead carcass's I have sitting in the trailer. I have been slowly breaking them all down. I had a nice piece of plywood for a new bench top in the trailer but **** if I can find where I put it. Time to get the trailer cleaned up and prepped for next year. I have to gut it so the body work can can do his thing and prep it for paint. She is going to look good all RED flying down the road. She is also getting an air conditioner in her and a fresh hatch installed. After paint I am going to put this rubber junk on the roof keeps the trailer cooler inside. I want to get rid of the carpet and do the whole roll on bed liner for the floor. I haven't decided yet. Insulate the roof install LED'S and then get the PA and AUX speakers set up. I want some sort of mounting brackets so I can pull them out and throw them on the trailer sides. Then it needs a awning and that is it for this trailer any more and I need a bigger trailer..

Bryant330l

I have had a couple of the 34% CA Extras. Loved them! Great flying planes. I think if you can get this plane into the lower 30s you will have an awesome flying plane.

10+

Professional Moderator
I have had a couple of the 34% CA Extras. Loved them! Great flying planes. I think if you can get this plane into the lower 30s you will have an awesome flying plane.
Lower 30's I think will be possible. I was hoping to about 30lb but this old girl has been around the block. time will tell for sure. I have been cutting away the junk almost half the day.. You know that a proper gear repair does not mean mix up some epoxy and let a ton of it dribble all over and some on the gear plate?

Yeah Not sure I will even be able to get it out tonight. Sad part is it would have worked if they had just clamped the pieces back together but the 1/2 gap on the left side is solid epoxy.. I couldn't live with it so hack away I am.. At least the plane will sit level when I'm done..

Not one stringer in the bottom of this plane hasn't been repaired. Amazing..

10+

Professional Moderator
Well, I'm done for the night and even without a scale (I am going to regret not weighing before I started) it is seriously noticeable how much I cut out today. I didn't I would be able to feel the weight but damn incredible. I hope to spend some more time on her soon. My shop is totaled and I really maybe got to 10% of the actual cutting the rest was just removing for repair and the easy obvious stuff I could reach easily. Its gonna be a fun project. I need to pick up some dowel material tmr so I can put the finishing touches on the motor box.. Maybe be weeks end. I am going to cut off the rudder tmr for sure. strip it and lay out the cuts. I think that will go really quick and if it does maybe some work on the stabs. I really see some weight coming out of those.. They just seem heavy to me..

dunny

I've had one of these that I built almost 4 years ago and is the gen II version. Weighs in at about 38 lbs with a 3W 157 on cans in it- and flys great. I did several mods to it, but nothing crazy. Why the 30 lb weight goal with a 106 in it?

Dunny

10+

Professional Moderator
I've had one of these that I built almost 4 years ago and is the gen II version. Weighs in at about 38 lbs with a 3W 157 on cans in it- and flys great. I did several mods to it, but nothing crazy. Why the 30 lb weight goal with a 106 in it?

Dunny
It's what he's got. Plus he's got Hyperlite envy going on hardcrore!
Dunny, that pretty much sums it up right there.. If you haven't seen these "hyper-lites" from Aerotech you are truly missing innovation in our hobby. and IF your a giant scale 3D guy your missing the boat.. I can't buy a kit new but I sure the heck can hack my existing kit to hell. It should be noted I have spent the last two years reading a following the MASTERS Sensie's threads on these Hyper-lite builds and others that have seen and followed the process with great success. Lets say she weighed 38 lbs with the 157 in it.

Motor alone I save 2lbs. This thing had a smoke pump, smoke tank, Three 5200 Li=ion packs, Smart fly reg and power box, Standard 50oz fuel tank, fiber optic ignition kill, three switches and a pin switch. Heck I cut out at least 1lb of old gear repairs and epoxy this weekend. and another 1/2lb out of the motor box and will eliminate a couple 0z's just in the repairs.

Another key thing to remember even saw dust weighs something.

10+

Professional Moderator
Like most humble beginnings or maybe just things at my house.. First things first roll her over a check the back side. Long and slender is what I like but lets see how things are after we drop that dress.
starting point.jpg
I think however did this wanted to make sure they got there stringer credit covered. These have been repaired and glued with at least three types of glue.
stringers anybody.jpg

10+

Professional Moderator
You can see the broken and flat out missing stringers, If you look at that rudder tray, say goodbye to it cuz I am cutting 90% it out..
broken stringers at rear.jpg

bottom side of rudder tray.jpg

10+

Professional Moderator
Bingo tank is gone..
smoke tank.jpg
There is a smoke tank under here somewhere
smoke tank under there must come out..jpg
Tray and mounts for the smoke tank
smoke tank tray.jpg

10+

Professional Moderator
This is about where I left off for the weekend. I hope to pick at it this weekend I would really like to get the gear plate back in..I may hog some of the mass out of it before it goes back in..1/2 block of ply.

gear plate out.jpg

Bryant330l

Dude you can do it! You are easily going to knock 4-5 lbs out of it. The other couple of pounds will be a lot of work but I think there is a lot of potential there to considerably lighten it up.

10+

Professional Moderator
When I started I grabbed this box and thought it would be cool if I could fill it up with unwanted or unneeded stuff. Never once for a second did I think it would only take about 8 hours to fill it up with flat out waste.. Two metal hose clamps around the wing tube sleeve..GONE!

day one trash.jpg

10+

Professional Moderator
I have some old ply laying around (crashed airframes) I am going to laminate two pieces together to make my spacers for the smaller CC motor. Amazing on 5/8 of an inch.. Either that or I have some Aluminum bar stock here I could cut down. I am thinking I like the ply better.

BigBird

You just get that damn tail from twisting fixed on one of these they fly 100% better. Getting her on Jenny Craig will put it over the top for sure.
Weight isn't good with anything we are interested in. Airplanes, Motorcycles, Women etc.etc. I guess guns would be the only exception!

MikeC3D

When Good Fruit Goes Bad
Looks like your off to a great start there Gary....the twisting fuse is first priority like JD said, the weight comes off faster than you realize just by cleaning it up some. The balsa tree at the verticle base is a MUST..on my yak is was 6.5oz and that alone allowed me to use 2 servos on rudder, its a trade off but imho a good one.

Attachments

BRUTUS

Plank Junky
Lifetime Supporter
Nice work man. I was gonna say- do they have head shops in TX? Cheap digital scales for $14. So my friends tell me....:D

10+

Professional Moderator
I will hit harbour frieght next weekend. Its over an hour away so I really need to make the trip worth while. In the meantime\I will make some custom sandinn drums for the drill. The rudder is going to get it and the backbone piece I should have a pic later this week when I strip the rest of the covering..

G

I have a tirple beam balance but it is a hassle, I want a cheapo digii scale for these public threads.

10+

Professional Moderator
You just get that damn tail from twisting fixed on one of these they fly 100% better. Getting her on Jenny Craig will put it over the top for sure.
Weight isn't good with anything we are interested in. Airplanes, Motorcycles, Women etc.etc. I guess guns would be the only exception!
I think the last owner fixed the tail twist there are cross braces that look new. I will get the rest of the pics up as soon as I can so youguys can see it. I got to get to work see you guys ina couple hours.