Columbo Anderson Rebuild

BRUTUS

Plank Junky
Lifetime Supporter
We should start calling you "Bone Yard" with all your projects!

Starting in the tail is a good place- if the tail group is sheeted foam then you can do lightening holes no problem. Same with the wings- you can go dremel crazy on the fuse and open up the existing lightening holes. There are lots of places to lose weight from! Got any pics?

10+

Professional Moderator
Funny Funboy! I just offered to pick up some poor guys crashed 89" slick (broke it in two) not more than an hour ago.. Hey its wood, nothing guys like us can't do with wood.

Pics I have to dig her out of the trailer and it wont happen until this stupid Robot leaves my life. End of this month and Robot is gone and done. So after that I think I will pull her out and take some pics and weigh every piece.

For the record JBenson told me it wasn't worth doing and it will never balance. I may have to do this just to prove him wrong..

Mithrandir

Circus Staff
Lifetime Supporter
is this the CA I owned a long time ago?

At one point.. it was the best plane JB had flying!! lol

JBenson

Circus Staff
That was a great 3D plane for sure if it is the same one. The tail was a bit flexy though.

Money, you won't prove me wrong, you will just talk about for year or two :exercise5:

JB

10+

Professional Moderator
That was a great 3D plane for sure if it is the same one. The tail was a bit flexy though.

Money, you won't prove me wrong, you will just talk about for year or two :exercise5:

JB
Ouch bro!! We don't want to talk about your Dalton marathon build do we?:situp:

Mithrandir

Circus Staff
Lifetime Supporter
is this the Dalton review build that was started by someone else in a galaxy far far away?

MODE-1

Nice Sweater
I / we can help you with those questions 10 if you take some shots of the bird without covering we can do what was done on Jims (fishdeath) sukhoi. Look at the pics and then highlight any places where wood can be lost. I sent Jim a list of ideas he could use and he picked out ones he wanted to do on the frame. Could do the same here if you like.

His was a 35% IIRC and overall he lost about 1.5 pounds but I think he could have lost more if he attacked the wings which he didnt. The skins on them where 1/8 very hard balsa sheeting.

Last edited:

10+

Professional Moderator
It's all I have been thinking about when not trying to fix this dang robot.. I should post some pics of this damn thing.. Anyway as I go I will post pics. I plan to really got after the wings and stabs. The rudder will look like a stick figure when I done with it. The fuse is where the real weight needs to come out of.. You know saw dust even weighs something. I think the cowl has been painted at least twice so I am pretty sure I can cut some OZ's out of that thing. It just feels heavy. I have a carbon wing tube but I will need carbon stab tube, Carbon tail wheel. Heck I may run a simple skid. Then there is always PSP axles and wheels. Spinners are overrated unless nose weight is needed and so are powerbox systems and redundancy is soooooo 2008. So I can see cutting this old girl down..

It will be a group project for sure..

skyesdad

Does'nt it have the large chunck of balsa at the base of the vert.and the fuse should brace up even with major removal of wood so should work ok

10+

Professional Moderator
So I head out to the trailer yesterday to grab a couple servos from the carcass of my 35% yak and well I got distracted..

The 106 with one bolt in it..
106 looks small.jpg
Oh, man it time to dive in for sure.
106 upfront.jpg

10+

Professional Moderator
Can you ask for better than that? I just need some 5/8 spacers and plug the three old holes drill three new ones and bam motor is mounted..

cant beat that.jpg

10+

Professional Moderator
Smoke pump removed, along with plumbing. I can't get the smoke tank out I think it was built in there, So I will cut all the brackets and plywood holding it in place.

smoke pump.jpg
Smart Fly removed along with super reg and pin switch.
smart fly stuff.jpg
This rudder tray is thick ply. I can't take it all out but I am going to move the two rudder servos as far forward as possible then cut every last piece of that thing I can out.. I already removed the 5/8 ply spacer from the old rudder tray.
old rudder tray.jpg

Those wood pieces on the top there I guess held a pilot at one time.. I kill most of my planes so NO pilots. I don't need any blood on my hands. So I will cut that crap out. I may need to add something back to keep that rigid. But some Diagonal carbon should do the trick.

Last edited:

10+

Professional Moderator
I am going to run out and try to find a scale. I need something besides the bathroom scale. I want to weigh all this stuff before I start, I kind of need to know if I can even pull this off. I am pretty sure I can do it cuz honestly it has been done by others. Goal is 30lbs. but really hard to know if I don't know where I cam starting at. This thing is barely bigger than my 35% yak and I rarely if ever flew it wide open throttle. A not my style.. I am a Mithrandir want a be.. Guy is smooth and slow the way it should be.. I know this motor will swing a 28X10 so I'm not that far off on power.

All I need is four servos (wings) and a set of muffs.. A bunch of covering and some fresh 60 grit paper and some new grinding wheels. This rudder is gonna get chomped and so are these stabs..

50%plane

addicted
dude! What happened to the Yak??? Nice pickup on that 89" Slick... you should definitely sell it to me cheap so you don't get distracted by it during this CA Extra... lol

Last edited:

10+

Professional Moderator
The YAK well lets just say when its real hot out and your chain flying cuz its coming to you.. The motor is telling you Dude adjust the needles and you say man just couple more minutes and I will do it.. yeah BAD idea..When I do a pull up/wall to hover I come in to hot and end up 50-75 feet high. So I have been working on getting a nice wall sort of like what Airbike pulls and it was coming but I just got greedy and paid the price.. Easy come easy go.. Motor is repaired I just need a fresh set of muffs and I will be back with more antics.

STUPID PILOT!

10+

Professional Moderator
Distractions are a key to my life.. I got to split and find a scale see you boys Monday..