Charger R/C Giant Fuzion Build

Discussion in 'Plane Registry' started by Revy, Nov 3, 2011.

Help Support Team Flying Circus by donating:

1. Jun 11, 2012 #81

jeffro503

jeffro503

jeffro503

Thanks Funboy for the well wishes. Going to try and heal up as soon as possible.....just waiting for the bones to mend.

2. Jun 11, 2012 #82

Revy

Revy

Revy

K, letsgo!!

I still feel the ankle and shin screaming a reminder every morning for the first 10 or so steps. I feel for ya, man!

Got me a flight in this morning. I definitely need more 5S packs and have got to get rid of the 19x10 APC E prop. Other than climbing right now, it is fun to fly. Knife edges are super easy without a lot of rudder. Nowhere near as nimble as the little guys, but then they don't weight 11+ pounds, lol.

3. Jun 13, 2012 #83

jeffro503

jeffro503

jeffro503

Well....I got a call from Russ down at Coyote hobby today and My big fuzion should be here about saturday or so. Possibly Monday depending I guess. Looking forward to picking this thing up.

Revy.....I'm thinking about going with a set of Hitec 7954's on this bird ....seem a little overkill....but I can't find a descent servo that is digital at about 250oz. Any other ideas? I guess I could look at those savox.....but I don't know much about them.

4. Jun 14, 2012 #84

Revy

Revy

Revy

K, letsgo!!

I'm using 985mg's with good results. They will twist the fuse with hard inputs. ;)

Just remember it is a novelty aircraft...don't take it too serious. Have fun with it.:thumbsup:

5. Jun 14, 2012 #85

jeffro503

jeffro503

jeffro503

Thanks Revy. I just got off the phone with my buddy randy ( RCDUDE ) and was talking to him about maybe trying some Hyperion digitals on this bird. The torque ratings on those servos are impressive for the cost. Randy does have the charts all messed up.....as he has them all rated at about 1/2 of what they are supposed to be ( said he is going to fix them all soon ). I know the min amount of what they suggest is 230oz for servo power on the big fuzion, so I was looking at something around that range , maybe a little more. Kind of looking at the Hyperion DS20x-TMD......it's 263 oz servo.....at $47.95. Comparing them to other brands with this amount of power , and the Hyperions will be cheap......especially since Randy helps me out with stuff like that. Bummer thing is......he doesn't live down the street any more......since he moved to Nevad a couple months ago.

6. Jun 14, 2012 #86

Revy

Revy

Revy

K, letsgo!!

That's a good price!! I gotta try the little less expensive options out there. Stuck on two of the big three.

I will post pics later, but install a dd tailwheel. The floating stock tail wheel is useless, imho. I took a piece of 4-40 linkage rod and basically removed the set screw and replaced with the rod. The rod was then bent to shape and it goes through a ball end link 6 inches from the rudders LE. That ball link has a piece of 3.2mm CF rod about 4" long inserted there. Now it steers much better taxiing on my turf runway.

7. Jun 14, 2012 #87

jeffro503

jeffro503

jeffro503

That sounds like a good mod on the tail wheel Revy. If you have a chance , could you possibly post a picture of it so I could check it out? I do have a couple spare smaller sized CF tail wheels left over from other misc aircraft I had tortured in the past. I may be able to use something like that as well.

And why I have you here in this thread.......how many servos does this thing take? 4 or 5? I figured 1 per wing , and I think the rudder just takes one? But the elevators I wasn't sure about , since a lot of smaller birds like this do use two on the elevator.

I think I'll probably order up the servos and a couple different props from Randy either tonight or possible tomorrow.

8. Jun 14, 2012 #88

Revy

Revy

Revy

K, letsgo!!

Yup 4, one per surface. There isn't room allocated for a split elevator. You could, but it would require modifications to the fuse and new ply cut to fit three back there. I used the kit supplied linkages, but the rudder/elevator ones are "spongy" due to their length. I stiffened things up with 5mm CF tubing over the linkage rods.

Attached Files:

9. Jun 14, 2012 #89

jeffro503

jeffro503

jeffro503

Cool Revy....thanks for the pic. Looks like where that tail wheel mounts , it a good solid base if someone wanted to use a traditional style tail wheel....kind of like a small white rose tail wheel or something like that. Good news on only 4 servos to.....

Going to order up these servos here real soon.....and am thinking of trying a 21X10 on the hacker A60-6XS. I have a couple 20X10's I can try as well. Just watching Joe smith and a couple others fly their 74" 3DHS edges with that setup.....and they rip the plane around like nothing. Should be an amazing setup on this foamie. Hell....I think I may just order another A60-6XS to replace the Hyperion motor on my 70" slick.....little sucker would be a beast!

BTW.....I will definitely being doing a CF tube overlay on the linkages. Actually ol' Pat on here first showed me how to do this a few years ago. Makes them strong as hell with no flex and keeps things light.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  10. Jun 16, 2012 #90

Walt_and_Sage

Walt_and_Sage

Walt_and_Sage

Revy, GOOD idea on the tailwheel assembly !!!!!

11. Jun 16, 2012 #91

Revy

Revy

Revy

K, letsgo!!

I guess that'll be the next thing you're gonna do to yours! You'll like it! :thumbsup:

12. Jun 16, 2012 #92

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Staff Member

Have you looked at Airtronics? After ignoring them for about 20 years I decided to try their new stuff in the Pilot Edge. I'm glad I did.

13. Jun 17, 2012 #93

jeffro503

jeffro503

jeffro503

I have Pat.....in fact I keep a close eye on servos and so forth. On my ground setups ( when I was racing the cars ) Airtronics were THE servo to have.

The down fall is , as with Futaba and JR.....they are expensive for a certain power out put. I found other well known brands that had 250oz - 300oz digital servos at or below .15sec.....but none of them compared to the Hyperion pricing. In the smaller bird setups , the Hyperions are hard to beat price wise. But when you start building birds that need something around 300oz +........the Hyperions are out of the picture.

I think in the electronics for all these birds.....it all depends on the size of the build you are building , which determines which brand of equipment you purchase. "Sometimes" your favorite brand "A" can't match with brand "B"......which is what I ran into with this build.

BTW.....I didn't get a call today about my plane....so I guess it didn't come in. Hopefully pick it up this week. Pat....if you haven't seen one of these up close.....prepare yourself for a little shock.....biggest damn foamie I have ever seen. It will Dwarf my 70" AJ Slick!

14. Jun 21, 2012 #94

jeffro503

jeffro503

jeffro503

YEEHAWW!!.....Picked up my giant Fuzion today! Basically just opened the box to take a look. Gotta finish doing some stuff on my 70" slick and then I'll clear the table for this thing.

Revy....I am going to finally order my servos tomorrow and I wanted to know what length servo arms I should be getting for max throws? I'm thinking 1-1/4" to 1-1/2".

15. Jun 21, 2012 #95

JeffinTD

JeffinTD

JeffinTD

Jeff

This should be really cool.

If you would, shoot me a pm if you are going to fly it at the local field. I'd really like to see it.

16. Jun 21, 2012 #96

jeffro503

jeffro503

jeffro503

Will do jeff. I am pretty sure I'll be hooking up with Pat a couple times this summer and may head out towards your way when the time comes. While I was at Coyote hobby yesterday , I was talking to Russ ( the owner ) I struck up a conversation with a guy ( Doug? ) and a couple of his buddies that fly at the Mollala field. Things sound good out there and I may end up joining that club but not 100% sure.

On this plane ( or any plane )....I try to do as much research as possible before I make a purchase. I do this with all the planes I have bought. I stay away from the cheap china knock planes , and we all pretty much know who to stay away from. But when it comes to the electronics , I will definitely NOT skimp on paying for quality stuff. Just like most things , the old saying of " If you buy cheap.....you buy twice "......which really does matter in THIS hobby. Seen to many people complain about cheap knock off motors and ESC's .....and sometimes those cheap knock off's are what ruins the entire plane.

Keep that in mind when you get in deep in this hobby. And as far as getting this bird put together and flying it , I will hopefully have it done within a couple weeks , as my schedule is pretty full. I'll probably take it to my St Helens club field and do the maiden. Then after that , I'll be heading out to whatever fields I can find. I'm sure we'll meet up this summer sometime Jeff.

17. Jun 21, 2012 #97

Revy

Revy

Revy

K, letsgo!!

I used the Hitec arms...nothin' special required. ;)

18. Jun 22, 2012 #98

JeffinTD

JeffinTD

JeffinTD

Maybe I'm nuts, but I got to thinking this thing really needs a variable pitch setup. It would be jaw dropping to see it in a nose down hover.

Revy likes this.
  19. May 1, 2013 #99

red7fifty

red7fifty

red7fifty

BadAss Member

This is something I have to add to my hangar!

20. May 2, 2013 #100

JeffinTD

JeffinTD

JeffinTD

The last time I was in Coyote Hobby they had one hanging up, built but no motor or servos. Sounds like someone was going to build it up, but the price of components...