Charger R/C Giant Fuzion Build

Discussion in 'Plane Registry' started by Revy, Nov 3, 2011.

Help Support Team Flying Circus by donating:

1. Nov 3, 2011 #1

Revy

Revy

Revy

K, letsgo!!

Finally got mine today!:hurray:

Jason and Andi have been good to deal with and are very pro-active. They gave me a heads up on a production glitch before I got my kit. A sticker with the wrong fade that already had a replacement included in the box! And yes, Andi does sound as sweet on the phone as she is in those pictures.;)

First impression was "Holy-moly, this is big!" Mine arrived with a slight tear in the box, but zero damage to the foam it self. Upon opening it I was impressed with the way it was packaged. The only thing that could have moved in the box was the hardware package and it was firmly taped to the box. All the foam parts were left in the sheet they were cut from allowing for a perfect fit inside. The hardware package is super neat and organized with top quality parts. Robarts hinges, Sullivan like tailwheel, Dubro type ball links, Tread lite main wheels, a CNC'd wing joiner and more than enough velcro for strapping stuff down. All the nuts and bolts for the motor mount and wings are included as well. The flat stock CF spars are thick and super heavy duty. All control surfaces are double beveled for you already. There is even a nifty hinge centering tool. The stickers aren't die-cut but are top shelf and big. A lot of thought went into the parts and material selection. Two thumbs up, Charger R/C!:thumbs:

I am looking forward to getting started on this. It'll keep me from going stir crazy awaiting the CARF!:willynilly:

Attached Files:

2. Nov 3, 2011 #2

Revy

Revy

Revy

K, letsgo!!

Electrics I'll be using

Eflite Power 160
    Castle Creations 110HV ESC
    Zippy Flightmax 5000mAh 5S x2
    Spektrum AR7000 rx
    Hitec HS-985MG x 4 (the HS-5625MGs I have aren't enough)
    A123 2300mAh (Charger recommends a CC BEC Pro, but I've had two fail)

The more I dive into this kit's hardware the more quality, craftsmanship and well engineered this kit becomes! It is outstanding! All the laser cutting is perfect. This should be a quick build. Just need to get better servos to fly, but I'll set everything up with what I got.

Uber impressed. Put this on you Christmas wish list! ;)

3. Nov 3, 2011 #3

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

Plank Junky Lifetime Supporter

Holy cow... This should be good!

4. Nov 3, 2011 #4

roc111672

roc111672

roc111672

3D Farm Bartender

Can`t wait to see the videos of you flying it .

5. Nov 3, 2011 #5

ottrod

ottrod

ottrod

Is it done yet? :biggrin:

6. Nov 3, 2011 #6

Classclown

Classclown

Classclown

Slacker....

7. Nov 3, 2011 #7

Revy

Revy

Revy

K, letsgo!!

Hahahaaa...fun-ny.:prrr: :D

First thing I did was trace some templates, just in case.;)

I have just finished gluing the horizontal, upper and lower vertical fuse halves with Mercury 30 min epoxy and micro balloons. Next up is a bunch of sanding. I'll wait until the AM to take it outside to do that. I've sanded a Byron kit and I know how much dust this sh*t makes! Better light too.

Attached Files:

8. Nov 4, 2011 #8

Revy

Revy

Revy

K, letsgo!!

Well, tonight I got as far as putting some stickers on the fuse after sanding and cleaning it thoroughly. I also installed the gear stiffening plates and waiting to put the lower fuse sticker on. This thing is a bit of work sanding wise, but not totally necessary as I took the "option" route. Used a GP 22" sanding bar with 180 grit and about an hour of elbow grease. Instructions are very well written and assembly so far has been a breeze.

This thing is the size of my 29% Pilot S'Bach!:cool:

Attached Files:

9. Nov 4, 2011 #9

Revy

Revy

Revy

K, letsgo!!

Following each step in the manual, I've gotten to where the wing spars and elevator control horn re-enforcement get epoxied in this morning. Be generous in the amount of epoxy you mix as it will really soak up on the foam side of things. However, the manual tells you to mix 1.5oz of epoxy together to glue in the spars. Use half of that amount per side, one at a time. I wasted half of the stuff after the first spar got installed as it got too thick in the time I worked it into every nook and cranny and making sure it was snug enough.

Now it's time to apply more decals.

Attached Files:

10. Nov 5, 2011 #10

ottrod

ottrod

ottrod

Awesome job on the build - Thanks for sharing! I think I want one of these :biggrin:

11. Nov 5, 2011 #11

Revy

Revy

Revy

K, letsgo!!

This ain't one of those evening builds, that's for sure!

The hinge tool they provide works awesome! I was able to breeze through these. Seven per aileron and elevator and another five in the rudder. The bit actually gets used in the build after as a stiffening pin in the rudder post.

I will recommend using Gorilla Glue for the fuse assembly. They do as well, but clear. I used the regular stuff as the clear is unavailable here. It's expansion quality will fill in any voids in the foam. Got to recharge the camera battery...left it on during the last upload. DOH!

12. Nov 6, 2011 #12

Revy

Revy

Revy

K, letsgo!!

As the camera battery charged I got quite a bit of it done. The bottom got glued to the rest of the fuse without much difficulty. Trying to stay on top of the GG as it squeezed out along join lines was the toughest part. And I still missed some. No biggie, just remember a little goes a long way with this stuff.

All the laser cut ply parts matches perfectly to its mate allowing for a fast assembly. One thing I would recommend to Charger RC is get rid of those cheap big white zip ties. There are good ones and then there are the ones supplied in the kit. Far too brittle and the cinch lock doesn't hold. I replaced them with some better quality z-ties. The main gear is stout, but I suspect the tailwheel might need more attention in the near future. It is free turning but a little wobbly. IDK, it might be fine.

The servo bays once epoxied dropped into place nice and snug. The three piece control horns are exactly the same, perfectly cut and snug!

The wings have four big ply washers that get some big t-nuts for some of the biggest wing bolts I have ever seen. Once the spars get seated in the cnc'd joiner they bolt into place with relative ease. The ply top plates and washers make for a solid connection. Balancing the plane and getting them in is the trickiest part.

The 1/4 " motor mount slid into place and braced with angle stock that was supplied in the kit. The mounts center hole needed to be enlarged a tad and in the process of using the reamer it made room for the Power 160's back bearing and shaft. The CC 110HV got installed just in front of the gear support to the underside of the horizontal fuse side. The Rx was placed below the wing just aft of the same gear support with its satellite on the other side of where the CF wing spar is.

Last thing to do is get the rest of the 985's so I can finish it. I need to determine battery placement, but need the servo's to figure out CG.

Like I said, it's BIG!

Attached Files:

13. Nov 6, 2011 #13

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

Plank Junky Lifetime Supporter

It's got to be fun flying a 100cc size foamy! Can you say: s l o w - m o t i o n ?

14. Nov 6, 2011 #14

3ddd

3ddd

3ddd

divorce,only way to fly

looks like jay got himself a winner there

15. Nov 6, 2011 #15

ChargerChick

ChargerChick

ChargerChick

Wow! you got that built fast. Looks great!! I can't wait to see you fly it. I really like the picture of it next to the sbach... made me and jason laugh our asses off. We tried to get a picture of the little Fuzion hovering next to the Giant one. The little one got alittle to close to the Giant's prop wash and slammed it into the ground. Funny stuff. I would have loved to get that on video.

16. Nov 6, 2011 #16

3DNEWBIE

3DNEWBIE

3DNEWBIE

this thing is sweet

17. Nov 6, 2011 #17

Revy

Revy

Revy

K, letsgo!!

All your hard work has paid off for the end user. The kit is tougher than your average foamy, but well written instructions and well engineered parts makes for a quality product. It is easy to assemble.

The UMX is definitely tiny next to it! Hopefully I can maiden it by the end of the week.

18. Nov 9, 2011 #18

cyoung450

cyoung450

cyoung450

Video?

19. Nov 9, 2011 #19

Mithrandir

Mithrandir

Mithrandir

Circus Staff Lifetime Supporter

I have a friend who scaled up a Shock Flyer Edge to 100 inches with a Hacker C-50...

it is for sale....

20. Nov 9, 2011 #20

Revy

Revy

Revy

K, letsgo!!

When I get my 985's!:biggrin:

Here is a couple links to a couple flights...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iTAfsoaFAw[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpXm_174Y8Y[/ame]