CarbonZ - Whats the Consenus?

Discussion in 'General Plane Discussion' started by superrmario, Nov 22, 2010.

Help Support Team Flying Circus by donating:

1. Jun 17, 2012 #21

JeffinTD

JeffinTD

JeffinTD

I'm only an intermediate pilot at best, but I have this plane and like it.

On the recommended low rate, I found I wanted a bit more elevator travel, but otherwise I programmed it as recommended.

In the mid rate I enjoy going up and working in snap rolls.

The full 3D rate is super-touchy.

To me (again, no expert) it has a "connected" and responsive feel.

For close to the same money, though, a buddy set up a similar sized Extreme Flight. A lot better bang for the buck, IMHO. The carbon z may be tougher and easier to repair, but I haven't tested that theory.

On mine the included prop was way out of balance. I've also seen threads about servos going bad, and the motor mount cracking on the earlier ones.

Bottom line for me: Fun plane that flies great and goes from LHS to the air in no time. Only real negative- price.

2. Jun 18, 2012 #22

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Staff Member

There was a guy that came out to fly with us for awhile named Tony White. Since he was working out of town he wanted something on hand to play with that didn't take up a lot of room but still performed reasonably well. He flew the snot out of that plane. You would not have known is was a small electric. he flew it extremely well with a lot of skill and style.

So IMO the plane will fly as well as the person holding the sticks.

3. Jun 18, 2012 #23

Vital-Rc

Vital-Rc

Vital-Rc

If you change the prop is flies decent, on the stock setup the thing is a rocket ship. I prefer balsa planes over the carbon z as it flies heavy but lands very easy. I sold mine for something better, if you do fly it make sure you upgrade the motor mount as the stock ones break in a hover..... ask me how I know....................

4. Oct 16, 2012 #24

CanCanCase

CanCanCase

CanCanCase

n00B here, and apologies for digging up an old thread, but this plane is very near and dear to my heart... it was my trainer, and kicked off a very serious RC addiction.

I've been around RC for many moons, but never could get over the childhood ADD that came about whenever my Dad put the sticks in my hands and told me to fly an Antic or big Waco bipe.

Fast forward 30 years, and I needed a plane that flew something like my favorite RealFlight Yak54...oh, and I needed it RTF in 3 days for a remote camping/flying event.

LHS sent the CZ Yak, and after all the old dudes got over why I didn't turn the "foamy yak" into a snowy pile of pieces on maiden, I proceeded to put a few hundred flights on the bird while building a GP 50cc Yak54 ARF and a Mojo60.

But enough about me... first thing to do when you get a CZ Yak is check linkages and change the prop. APC 13x4e came recommended from some other RC site, and that took the ballistic edge off and slowed her down enough that a rookie could land after just 6 or 7 passes at the runway. I've now got a Xoar 13x4e that keeps the motor and batt just a bit cooler.

Then I noticed I was breaking a few more props than I liked, and decided the wheels were too small for our stubbly hay fields, and the gear was flexing way too much... off with the wheel pants and gear fairings, and I added a wire stiffener between the gear legs.

After about flight #50, the instrument panel decal began to peel inside the canopy, and I noticed the canopy glue was coming undone, so I pulled it off and replaced Mr. GenericRubberHelmutHead with Scaredy Smurf at the stick.

somewhere around flight #100 the switch in the battery compartment failed, so I removed it. Otherwise, it's a great flying small electric that really flies like a much larger plane. Now that I get the idea that uber-light weight = better 3D performance I can see how many think this thing is too heavy. I think of her as a very capable sport/pattern plane with some limited 3Dability. Then again, after a bunch of Mojo and EE60 time under my belt, maybe I'll dust this one off for a few more spins before I put her in the swap meet pile...

-Case

5. Oct 16, 2012 #25

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

Plank Junky Lifetime Supporter

Good first post! Welcome!

6. Feb 4, 2016 #26

contraynor

contraynor

contraynor

Well done you kept me reading

7. Feb 4, 2016 #27

contraynor

contraynor

contraynor

I have one now waiting on a fuse

8. Feb 20, 2016 #28

tailskid

tailskid

tailskid

Nice one on floats...

Attached Files:

9. Mar 4, 2016 #29

BTerry

BTerry

BTerry

Great plane, tons of fun in floats.

ABSOLUTELY install a receiver battery or a BEC of some sort. The speed control is not up do the task on this big plane. Ours piled straight in from about 400 ft. on the 8th flight. Horizon took care of us but we had to ship it back ($$$$).

I ended up putting a UBEC on our Silhouette and big T-28. These big planes are a ton of fun, and are even better now I know the radio will always work.