CarbonZ - Whats the Consenus?

Discussion in 'General Plane Discussion' started by superrmario, Nov 22, 2010.

Help Support Team Flying Circus by donating:

1. Nov 22, 2010 #1

superrmario

superrmario

superrmario

Have a PNP version on order at my Local Hobby Shop, and looking forward to getting it for sure.

Reading through the HH page, and watching the short video with Quique it seems the wings are stupid strong. Seems this will be a nice alternitive to higher priced traditional ARF's for practicing IMAC. Snaps will be nice for sure since there is no signs of flex for spot on snaps.

I have the Parkzone 300, and find it nice, but I cannot wait to try this thing out.

On another note, is HH trying to up the ante on Round cowl airframes? 4 Releases in the past year. The Beast, New 85cc SU-26, 40% SU-26, Carbon Z. Althought the Carden / H9 Yak was release prior, I still find it interesting.

2. Nov 22, 2010 #2

10+

10+

10+

Professional Moderator

I'm getting one for X-mas.

3. Nov 22, 2010 #3

superrmario

superrmario

superrmario

Nice.

4. Nov 22, 2010 #4

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

Plank Junky Lifetime Supporter

Too much electric for me- I wish they made an ACROMASTER sized one... Anything over 3 cells and 2200 mah is out of my league.

5. Nov 22, 2010 #5

superrmario

superrmario

superrmario

Why is that? In not big on buying china ****, but I have heard good things about the Zippy and Turnigy packs from Hobby King. 3000mah 4s1p 30c pack for $29. Comparable Thunderpower packs are $80-$100. Yes, the TP packs have charge rates at 5c. Oh well...

I ordered 3 Zippys for my PZ Extra. 14 bucks a pop.

6. Nov 22, 2010 #6

Chad H

Chad H

Chad H

Passin` Gas

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  7. Nov 22, 2010 #7

superrmario

superrmario

superrmario

True, but I want somthing that I can buy, setup, and keep in the car at all times. With a Gas plane, I would have to carry around fuel stinking up the car. F that. The PNP is $300 though and if you have a receiver, your golden. Just pick up some packs.

8. Nov 22, 2010 #8

Chad H

Chad H

Chad H

Passin` Gas

I hear yah.

I just got my first 2.4 TX a week a go or so.

One of the things I am looking forward too also next summer is a BNF or PNP 300.

As much as a quick hoot that I know it will be, and see others having, I`m still going to have a hard time dishin` out the coin for foam.

But, if ya wanna play ya gotta pay I guess ;)

9. Nov 22, 2010 #9

Votec Yak Guy

Votec Yak Guy

Votec Yak Guy

Foam is the killer for me at this price point. If they had this in a BNF in wood, I'd be all over it.

Greg

10. Nov 23, 2010 #10

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

Plank Junky Lifetime Supporter

I love electrics- but I mostly fly gassers when I go to the field. I primarily fly electrics in the park - and I take off and land off the baseball diamond. Or at night. So smaller is better. I love my AcroMaster, it does everything I like and doesn't break the bank...

My budget is small, so I try not to wast money on 'novelty' items any more. Even though I would Love to own a CarbonZ, I would rather finish and fly my Comp ARF Yak and DA-120! It's going to take the same amount of money to buy the CarbonZ as it would to buy the parts I need to finish the Yak!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2010
  11. Nov 23, 2010 #11

ProBro Matt-chew

ProBro Matt-chew

ProBro Matt-chew

one thing that gets me is that horizon puts the e-flite tag on this one...if you look at the parkzone stuff you can buy a complete bare airframe for a resonable price and not get stuck with the junk gear....with e-flite you gotta buy everything seperate....

this plane has freeking stupid power! completly not needed, you could get the weight down and easily fly it with a 3s2200-2500 setup..........but i aint gonna spend 300-400bux just to strip their crap out of it.....

12. Nov 23, 2010 #12

ProBro Matt-chew

ProBro Matt-chew

ProBro Matt-chew

WTF??? your flying the Habu..... ;)

13. Nov 23, 2010 #13

Votec Yak Guy

Votec Yak Guy

Votec Yak Guy

lessons learned :)

14. Nov 23, 2010 #14

Votec Yak Guy

Votec Yak Guy

Votec Yak Guy

And the HabuDF is coming out soon....fiberglass fuselage, built up wing...170MPH top end speed...NO FOAM!

15. Nov 23, 2010 #15

superrmario

superrmario

superrmario

I cant blame you at all for wanting to finshing up the compy before getting a foam.

I ususally go to the local park for a "Park Flying session". I am on the road a lot, so I keep the PZ Extra in the back seat just incase I pass a large enough area to fly in. I manage to find a large area every day it just so happens LOL.

Its mind boggling how much foam planes are piece by piece. But wood is the same piece by piece as well.

16. Jan 1, 2011 #16

superrmario

superrmario

superrmario

I posted elseware, so I figured I would add it here as well...

I am unsure what all the negative hype is regarding this plane. Maybe the fact that not everyone is as talented as QQ when it comes to 3D'ing, and expects it to make 3D'ing as easy as he makes it look? I dunno. Or maybe the plane wasn’t 0'ed out linkage wise before setting the rates.

What I did notice is the aileron servo horns were not 90 degrees s to the hinge line out of the box. Neither was the rudder and the Elevator was off as well. Make sure all horns are at 90 with no sub trim in the radio. 0 out the whole airplane by linkages first before doing any rate setting. Try to use NO sub trim.

Here is my Maiden Report.

The plane is EXTREAMLY reactive to changes in rates, so I reset the full throw to the lowest settings the manual states. Please see below: Make sure you change the trim steps to 2 as appose to 4 default in a futaba radio. Makes a world of difference.

100% Ailerons = 60mm
    100% Elevator = 50mm
    100% Rudder = 60mm

Here is my rates setup from the manuals percentages converted to MM's

Mode 1:
    Ail = 30mm Expo = 40%
    El = 15mm Expo = 30%
    Ru = 60mm Expo = 50%

Mode 2:

Ail = 30mm Expo = 40%
    El = 9mm "Yes.. 9mm" Expo = 25%
    Ru = 21mm Expo = 10%

Mode 3 All out full rates = WAY TOO MUCH for anything but 3D

Ail = 60mm Expo = 55%
    El = 50mm Expo = 50%
    Ru = 60mm Expo = 50%

One click of right aileron and it tracked like an arrow. For my flying style, I am going to add 5-10% more expo on the ailerons. But that’s it.

Take off was uneventful but gave me a tad bid of feeling that it was a larger plane. Took off like a 50cc ship.

Flying was great. felt like a 50cc in the air as well. You can see how the plane was developed from QQ's perspective. It flies like a pattern ship in Mode 2. Snaps are crisp, VERY tight and stop on a dime just as a pattern ship would be.

Down line rolls are clean but may need a bit of differential, the same with up lines. Point rolls are spot on, but like I said 5-10% more expo may be needed. Snaps may suffer though.

Mode 2 doesn’t like Knife edge passes unless you are wide open throttle. Use mode 1 to slow the plane down. It does couple to the belly, so his Mixes are definitely needed as it states in the advance manual.

Mode 3 is retarded when it comes to rates. Completely and totally uncontrollable if you are flying faster than 1/8th throttle. For a laugh I went full throttle and rolled it. It must have a roll rate of 100000000 degrees per second. LOL. I then did a half throttle snap and it stopped the airplane in its tracks.

All in all, it is the best flying airframe in its size I have ever flown.

I think I big problem may be, and without sounding like an ass is lack of setup prior to flight. Out of the box to the air with no preflight setup. Not using the recommended rates will kill the airplane. That’s how touchy it is. It truly is a flyer....

17. Jan 2, 2011 #17

67fairlane

67fairlane

67fairlane

I owned this plane and it flys great at high speed but is complete junk for slow flight/3d WAY too heavy..too much money for what your getting...the only good things I hear about this plane is its strong in crashes lol

18. Jan 2, 2011 #18

Mithrandir

Mithrandir

Mithrandir

Circus Staff Lifetime Supporter

I heard QQ was just about done with round cowls and yaks and pythons... he is doing a Skybolt next!!!

:eek:

19. Jan 2, 2011 #19

superrmario

superrmario

superrmario

Did you see Hempels plans to do a SNS-7 Hiperbipe?

20. Jan 2, 2011 #20

50%plane

50%plane

50%plane

addicted

That's going to be awesome! I need to pick up a Hempel plane sometime... with the new large twins about to come from Syssa, it will be a match made in heaven!