BUSA 1/4 scale Fokker D-VII Build

BRUTUS

Plank Junky
Lifetime Supporter
Weight, cost, ease of access (no tools), and the ability to see inside the tank and visually inspect your clunk line before takeoff. That's my reasoning. Plus I LOATHE those stupid stoppers!:banghead::banghead::banghead:

But hey, people tell me I'm special so maybe that's why. :rolleyes2:

thepamster

The Mistress of Biplanes
Lifetime Supporter
Hmmm. Still not sold. How much weight is saved by a water bottle? Cost? I may give you that one, but with fittings? I don't know. How many tank installations can you actually see anyway? Tools? Like a screwdriver? C'mon.
Stopper, well ok those suck.
Obviously without me trying one I would not know what I am missing. Just trying to see if you guys could convince me to try one or not.

BRUTUS

Plank Junky
Lifetime Supporter
I just buy the gas stopper kits from the LHS and put them into the bottle cap itself. I put the metal compression washer on the outside of the cap, and build the rest just like a normal tank. The stopper fits perfectly inside the inner rim of the Fiji bottle cap, and sort of pinches inside the actual bottle mouth preventing it from backing off from either heat fluctuations or vibration. Never had that style split, or back out. The stopper also acts as a gasket between the fuel lines and the cap. Parts are $3? A 1L bottle is $2.50 with water in it... I got my last one assembled from Vital-RC with a Walbro felt clunk for ~$20.00. As for weight, it might save 2oz.

Here is a crappy pic of the inside of my red compy. Can't see squat, but it's got a gas stopper kit in there, with the vent line bent up and a fuel tubing extension on there.
2014-03-25 14.21.55.jpg

Here is a pic I found with the flat metal washers. Most cheapie tanks come with them. You don't want the kind with the stupid lip/ retainer thing for dubro or sullivan style tanks. The flat washer works perfect.

Attachments

Last edited:

red7fifty

BadAss Member
On my 33%, a 1 Lt Fiji bottle, saves about 2 oz over a Dubro Tank.
Adding a Smart Water bottle for my smoke, about another 1.25 oz lighter than a Dubro tank.
So.....3 or 4 oz lighter, on a 28 lb plane, not much....but, it adds up.
I weighted all the servo extensions in my 40% build....the servo leads weighted 8 oz.....that's 1/2 a pound!
For my Gas tank, I used the PSP cap and fitting....so, it costs twice as much as my normal Dubro tank with Alum cap.
But, I wanted to be able to see inside, so that was my main reason to try the set up.
After using my first one, probably won't go back to the other style, unless, installation means, I can't see it anyway.
On my smoke tank, I did what Cody just described, clamp the stock bottle cap, inbetween a rubber stopper and metal outside flange (the cheap ass metal hardware that comes with ARFs that you don't use, are perfect for this)
Pictures on my BS blog page, of said hardware and crap, to follow.
:prrr:

thepamster

The Mistress of Biplanes
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks for sharing the info. I am sure if I tried one I probably wouldn't go back either. I seem to be the only one not using them. I am always the last one to follow the trends. I am set in my ways. Lol.
Perhaps for my next big plane, whatever that is, I'll use one.

Tseres

Whiny Old Man
There is nothing wrong with being set in your ways. What works for you and what you trust is the best.

Agree with Cody for all the reasons to change. Want to add one. The Donhokel tanks are ARFs. Hook up your lines and strap them in. No fussing with the inside of the tank till rebuild time. The PSP caps are more Expensive. They allow you to re use them for different size bottles for different size planes. The Cap don't wear out.

One of each in this picture.

Attachments

Tseres

Whiny Old Man
Tok the D-7 out for the first time this year. Had a dead stick on the second flight. I had the idle to low. It was also burbling real bad on the low side. I leaned it just a hair and couldn't get it started. Reminded me of I think Doug said that he had a hard time starting his ZDZ when it was hot. I'll find out Saturday. We have an introductory day to Scale at my field. I was planning on flying the Fokker.

red7fifty

BadAss Member
My buddy Farmer's DLE-111 just lost it's idle speed from the last flights......turns out, the metering needle (inside the carb) went out of whack.....an adjustment to the teeter-totter arm thingy, got it sealing up correctly again, and low idle speed is back to normal.

thepamster

The Mistress of Biplanes
Lifetime Supporter
Yes, perhaps the teeter-totter thingy did not have the proper verticality in reference to the horizontalness.:biggrin:

red7fifty

BadAss Member
Yes, perhaps the teeter-totter thingy did not have the proper verticality in reference to the horizontalness.:biggrin:
That is EXACTLY what he said was the problem he found!

Leaky gas from the carb was the other tell tale sign. It flew awesome the first two flights of the day, then a dead stick on final on the 3rd flight. WTF? We fired it up, and the idle speed was off.......after adjusting the deelio, it has the low idle speed like before. :thumbsup:

:prrr:

Tseres

Whiny Old Man
Thanks the Delio is in proportion to the cantilever thingie was in the right spot. The horizontal was over taken by verticality therefore the the airspeed was a non factor. Over Speeding was the cause of landing on the half million acres of concrete behind the flight line. It was impossible to land on the grass strip. The Dead Stick was caused by low idle. One notch on the throttle trim would have been enough. It was a very pretty Hammer Head. I think I'll work it into my landing routine. I just have to figure out where and how high to make the Hammer part.

Have to go to the Dentist. See you all later.

aussiesteve

:biggrin: - SO how did it go?

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/trCdIw6Q0gA?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Tseres

Whiny Old Man
It was only a cleaning. The Same girls been cleaning my teeth for 30 yrs. Been going to the same dentist for the same amount of time. If it wasn't for them I'd be toothless. Therefore they are one of my favorite people. I like having teeth. LOL. No I'm not the soccer player that likes to bite other players. I could take this further but I choose to stop here. I'm sure someone will have something to add to this.:biggrin:

thepamster

The Mistress of Biplanes
Lifetime Supporter
That dog looks like the "worlds ugliest dog" that was on Jimmy Kimmel the other night.
That guy should be banned from soccer for life and ordered to be tested for various transmittable diseases and then be charged with assault.

Tseres

Whiny Old Man
That dog looks like the "worlds ugliest dog" that was on Jimmy Kimmel the other night.
That guy should be banned from soccer for life and ordered to be tested for various transmittable diseases and then be charged with assault.
It's FIFAs fault. He's got D. Wade imunity. He's just lucky he wasn't playing Hockey. If he was, he would have to be gumming people to satisfy his cravings. I'm sure he wouldn't be biting anyone with his dentures.:biggrin: