BUSA 1/4 scale Fokker D-VII Build

Discussion in 'Plane Kits & Frames' started by Tseres, Jan 24, 2013.

Help Support Team Flying Circus by donating using the link above.
  1. Jan 24, 2013 #1

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

I've got many bases of our hobby covered. Have a couple of PAU Extras for IMAC and general fun flying. Been messing with Helis along with Foamies for 3D and indoor flying. Have a Top flight P-47. All I was lacking is a WWI plane till now.

I'm also getting tired of the 2 day builds on ARFS. Was looking for a challenge that would occupy my time. Something that I couldn't finish in a short time. That is how I settled on a WWI plane. My favorite WWI plane is the Albatross. The only ones that I could find were in the 1/3 scale size. That is just to expensive along with hard to transport. Since I couldn't find a 1/4 scale Albatross I settled for my second favorite. The Fokker D-VII.

This thread is intended to be fun. If your building one of these then please feel free to post your pictures and comments here. If you're not building one and you have comments or questions that's OK also. Most of my friends will find a way to derail this thread anyway. That's ok also.

One of the most interesting parts of scale building is the History pertaining to the plane or the time period. If you have any info on such things then share it with us. Looking at the box of wood. this is going to take a while so lets get started.

So far I have the plane kit and two machine gun kits. I should have opened up the plane first cause when I opened up the machine gun box I thought " What the #@!! is this. I was expecting plastic molded parts. Yup It's definitely a builders kit. Nothing looked damaged. As soon as I can clear off the building bench I'll lay out the plans to see what I got myself into.

Attached Files:

2. Jan 24, 2013 #2

Super08

Super08

Super08

Official DA Fanboy ;) Lifetime Supporter

What it's not built yet? Get to it man. :smash:

:notin:

3. Jan 24, 2013 #3

thepamster

thepamster

thepamster

The Mistress of Biplanes Lifetime Supporter

Awesome box of wood.
    Allow me to poor me a bourbon and coke and lets get started.
    What is the power plant going to be? You may have said in that other thread but I forgot.
    What are the specs for the plane?

4. Jan 24, 2013 #4

Flatspinjim

Flatspinjim

Flatspinjim

Awesome! I love WW I planes. I'll be following the build. Might give me the push I need to start one of my own. I really like to build,

5. Jan 24, 2013 #5

kaveman

kaveman

kaveman

cool cant wait to it done

6. Jan 24, 2013 #6

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

Pam right now all I can tell you is that the top wing is 88in. They finish around 18 to 20 lb. They call for a 26 cc but from what I gather most people are using G38s. Have seen a comment about a G-45 and a DA50 in one of these. I'll see how the fuse looks in the engine compartment when the time comes to decide on an engine.

After looking at the box of wood you might as well pour me one of those bourbons. Althoe I'm starting to be partial to Crown.

Now back to cleaning off the building bench.

7. Jan 24, 2013 #7

Super08

Super08

Super08

Official DA Fanboy ;) Lifetime Supporter

Wait until you see the level of fine detail Tom is capable of. Outstanding workmanship. :)

8. Jan 24, 2013 #8

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

Thanks Buddy. I'll get the check in the mail in the morning.:thumbsup:

9. Jan 24, 2013 #9

thepamster

thepamster

thepamster

Crown Royal is too smooth for me and gets me drunk before I know what happened. I drink Jim Beam Black Label.
    I have always heard that WWI biplanes require lots of nose weight so a good heavy Zenoah could be in order.

10. Jan 24, 2013 #10

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

Plank Junky Lifetime Supporter

Nice! I was looking for something to challenge me and use up some time as well-I just got a $200, 20# box from BUSA as well! It's been a LONG time since I've had a box of lumber this big... These are going to be some BIG floats for my Cub!

Any thoughts on schemes?

Looking forward to your build- thanks for sharing! Now, GET TO WORK!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
    Tseres likes this.
  11. Jan 24, 2013 #11

aussiesteve

aussiesteve

aussiesteve

Seems there are a quite a few of us watching this one for inspiration to do a proper build (Including myself).

I've never built a large BUSA kit so am curious. Like you, I am pretty sick of the quick assemble ARFs - even though they do satisfy the need to fly pretty well.

Some techo questions.
    Does the included basic hardware package include hinges, horns etc? and do you intend using those?
    Do the servos etc get "hidden" in these?
    What covering do you plan on using?
    What color scheme are you thinking of?

Tequila shots anyone?

12. Jan 24, 2013 #12

thepamster

thepamster

thepamster

I can drink margaritas all day long, but one shot of tequila and in the bathroom I go. And I am not kidding.
    He is never going to get started with all of these questions.
    Is that bench cleaned off yet?:biggrin:

13. Jan 24, 2013 #13

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

Steve. Take it easy. I'm like sergeant Sultz. I know nothing. But I like Apple pie.

I'll let you guys in on a secret. My planes evolve so I don't plan ahead to much cause I'll change my mind. Still looking for a color scheme. Once I decide on that things will go from there. I need to look at the build book and the plans. I'll have an answer for your questions then.

I like that orange and lozenge color scheme on the previous page.

14. Jan 24, 2013 #14

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

So I finally cleared off the bench. It took about an hour and a half. That's a long time considering its only a 3X8 Bench.
    The camera in my cell phone crapppped out. Thats bad cause I like to take pictures with it cause they upload easy. So I got the Nikon out and turned it down as much as knew how. THis is an experiment to see how fast the pictures upload.

That wasn't bad. 4 pictures in less then a minute.

Please note the top of the bench. It hasn't been that clean since I first built it. It's a good thing I have picture o it. I probably won't see it that way again for a while. LOL.

Attached Files:

15. Jan 24, 2013 #15

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

Brutimus. Post your build here. Got any info on that orange plane that you posted?

16. Jan 24, 2013 #16

cap232driver

cap232driver

cap232driver

I built the tri-plane a few years back, it was a really fun build. The machine guns took almost two full days just by themselves. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Steve

17. Jan 25, 2013 #17

rick dazzler

rick dazzler

rick dazzler

Awesome choice of build!
    Here is my BUSA DVII.. I didn't build it but it was built well.
    The DVII is the best flying ww1 bird out there.. Mine is still going.. Landing's seem to stick on the mains. Love it

Attached Files:

• 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      41.3 KB
      Views:
    • 014.jpg
      014.jpg
      File size:
      40.9 KB
      Views:
    Tseres likes this.
  18. Jan 25, 2013 #18

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

Nice plane Rick. What engine do you have in yours and are you using any extra weight for balance?

19. Jan 25, 2013 #19

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

I looked at the hardware pack. They are all Dubro hinges I see no reason not to use them. I've gone away from using Clevises in favor of ball links. However I may stick with the clevises since that's what the plane was designed for. They are Dubros also and they should work fine.

20. Jan 25, 2013 #20

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

Plank Junky Lifetime Supporter

Um, orange plane? I just did a google image search.

I've got a few loose ends to tie up for work and some fleet maintenance to complete before I start the build- but I want them done in the next couple months so I can play in the water this summer!