BUILD--Aeroworks 40% Yak

JBenson

Circus Staff
Same old Benson. And it is the original Yak. I will do a thread on the new one when I get started.

JB

JBenson

Circus Staff
Next was the pull-pull. This was extremely straight forward. I used the included pull pull line as well as the included fittings at the tail used to attach the included ball links. I also used the stock servo mounting designed into the plane. For servo arms I used Airwild 3" full arms with their back to back ball links on the rear servo. I then used Troy Built Models pull-pull tensioners. These really making adjusting cable tension simple. Here are some pictures of how things went together.

-click to enlarge-
DSC_3665.jpg
I use a dremel with a 1/16" bit. The plane comes ready to accept 3 rudder servos but I feel that with 2 8711s running on A123 batteries, two will be more than enough power.

-click to enlarge-
DSC_3667.jpg
Again, I am using Microfasteners #3 servo screws to secure the 8711s in their mounts.

-click to enlarge-
DSC_3730.jpg
This is all the stock hardware to be used at the tail of the plane. The threaded adapters are very nice with chamfered edges to keep from cutting into the cable and compromising it's strength.

-click to enlarge-
DSC_4310.jpg
Here is the completed assembly with Airwild tensioners in place. I used clear silicon to secure the servo arm screws. It is very important to implement some mechanism for securing your servo arm screws on metal geared servos. The spline has much less resistance than a nylon output gear so be sure to remember this when building your giant scale planes.

-click to enlarge-
DSC_3789.jpg
An inside shot looking toward the back of the fuselage. Another nice touch that can't be seen here is that there is guide tube at the rear of the plane that guide and protect the cables at the exit points.

JB

davensocal

Why clear silicone on top of the screw vs blue loctite or similar? It seems you would have to dig all the crud out of there to use the screw now..

TManiaci

Engineer
Lifetime Supporter
Nice build JB.

That silicone is not so FOG. Using locktite on the delicate threads of the servo is destructive when you take it apart every time you service or re-kit the equipment. I have seen the Blue Loctite destroy threads. The silicone serves the purpose, locking the screw from backing out. It may not stay tight, but it won't unscrew and fall apart.

Joe Hunt

It comes off really easily. It is a FOG technique that the guy helping me out really likes.

JB
I think it's FOG. lol One of the really cool FOGs up here about puts his entire plane together with silicone... the 50oz tank, et al. lol I got into using a silicone sealant, like permatex, on the metal to metal machine screws for awhile... but went back to blue threadlocker for the extra holding and confidence. I try never to use philips heads on a plane, only quality hex heads... and then use quality hex drivers, generally without the ball end (sharp, square end only) and thats what I'm happiest with. Silicone works though. :)