Brutus Flight Blog

Discussion in 'Circus Flight Log' started by BRUTUS, Nov 20, 2008.

Help Support Team Flying Circus by donating:

1. Feb 13, 2017 #3361

red7fifty

red7fifty

red7fifty

BadAss Member

I flew my F14 EPO at the High School in June (2016), and again at my former club as a guest (I let my membership expire)........let's see.....October 2016.
    My Laptop has a bad chip....so I can't even play on the RF7.
    Guess it's back to the Rubberband FF Guillows in my hobby room. (It was a gift) lol

BRUTUS likes this.
  2. Feb 17, 2017 #3362

flyin4fun

flyin4fun

flyin4fun

love the VW scheme as I am a VW enthusiast myself............

BRUTUS likes this.
  3. Feb 18, 2017 #3363

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

Plank Junky Lifetime Supporter

My wife has a new turbo beetle- its fun to drive for sure. After Chemo I wanted her to have something nice. Hopefully its value will rebound now that dieselgate has passed!

Rob Ritchey from Smart Fly is sending back my EQ10. He thinks a bad connector was to blame. I also ordered some graphics from Callie. The price was right, and should add the final touches to my new Edge! I ordered the flag banner for both sides of the rudder, mirrored G-SHOCK, a TOTAL, and some special thanks to Mile-HighRC, Aeroplus, and Bull Engines, . Along with my ama and faa numbers...

Attached Files:

Tseres likes this.
  4. Feb 19, 2017 #3364

flyin4fun

flyin4fun

flyin4fun

sweet ride, looking forward to seeing the finished product(plane that is),, dieselgate, lol, yeah VW effed up a little there.... but the cars are still top notch, who cares about a few mpg when you are getting close to 50 in the first place......stupid cali emissions to begin with.

5. Feb 21, 2017 #3365

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

Flew my freestyle last weekend. Only got 3 flights on it, and 2 on my foamy F22. It was fun, but my god am I rusty. I barely managed to complete one right handed rolling loop all day. The left handed ones were much easier for me. The wind kind of kicked up blowing in our faces, so we packed it in early.

Here's a pick Emma took last summer.

Attached Files:

6. Mar 5, 2017 #3366

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

Maidened the Edge today. After flipping the prop waaayyyy too many times we got the engine reliable enough to get in the air. Plane flew great, definitely need to do some baffling in the cowl to keep the carb from going fat every time it gets airborne. I suspect airflow from the bottom inlet is messing with the diaphragm. Hopefully a restrictive screen will help soften the air pressure. And I'm going to check all my servo matching is still good. I'm burning way too many electrons every flight-600mah!

Lots of friends at the field today.

thepamster likes this.
  7. Mar 5, 2017 #3367

kwilson

kwilson

kwilson

Gold Member

Block it completely. Not only will it mess with carb diaphragm, but it will also make the engine run hot. Only air inlet should be the two big holes in front of the cylinders. And definitely baffle to at least 1/3 of the way up the cylinders.

8. Mar 5, 2017 #3368

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

I think you are right. Blocking the bottom hole is probably the best. The engine is baffled pretty well, I just hope the carb doesn't get too hot between those mufflers. I'm going to install my venom temp gauge and see how effective my cooling setup is.

For some reason I can't upload pics...

9. Mar 6, 2017 #3369

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

I checked all my servos for binding and didn't find any. Maybe 600mah/flight is the price you pay with 9 mega torque servos and an IBEC on 7.4V.

10. Mar 6, 2017 #3370

kwilson

kwilson

kwilson

Gold Member

Sorry I just noticed you mentioned that and for some reason, I was thinking 600 per pack (1200 per flight). 600 total is no problem. I use about 350 per pack when flying 2 unl imac sequences with spikes of 15 to 17 amps. I love the black box feature of the Powerbox Systems.

BRUTUS likes this.
  11. Mar 6, 2017 #3371

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

I love mine too. Right now it's in my 1/3 Waco! Max amps drawn on that setup is like 9!

12. Mar 13, 2017 #3372

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

Getting more comfortable after flying this plane a few more times this weekend. The engine is running better after following Kwilsons suggestion to block the bottom hole in the cowling. Engine still didn't have great compression. So I just installed a new Bjorn Bowman ring, and it's a night and day difference even just on the bench!

Its been overcast both times I was able to make it to the field, and the pure white airframe (love it) disappears in the clouds, even with the giant VW on the belly, so I decided to add some black stripes and continue the German flag theme. Ought to make it much easier to see in gray backgrounds!

This airframe has great flying qualities. In some aspects even better that my 110" freestyle 260. Almost zero pitch coupling, and only a very very small amount of roll coupling. I think its going to be a great IMAC platform.

A few more break-in flights and I will be bringing this beast down and getting dirty! Just want a little more confidence in this new motor before I risk the airframe going crazy!

Attached Files:

thepamster likes this.
  13. Mar 13, 2017 #3373

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

I don't know if you guys can tell but I'm falling in love with this airplane! It looks sick doing low knife edge passes. The forward swept wing, the curvy wintips, the flying qualities, the scheme. I'm stoked.

14. Mar 13, 2017 #3374

thepamster

thepamster

thepamster

The Mistress of Biplanes Lifetime Supporter

I was wondering how you were going to see that all white plane.
    It does look nice with all the lettering.
    Love the German flag stripes.

BRUTUS likes this.
  15. Mar 13, 2017 #3375

thepamster

thepamster

thepamster

It certainly does seem apparent that you are indeed stoked.
    It is after all a sharp looking plane.

16. Mar 13, 2017 #3376

kwilson

kwilson

kwilson

Gold Member

Keeping it low and close in! lol.:thumbsup:

thepamster likes this.
  17. Mar 13, 2017 #3377

Angie

Angie

Angie

Staff Member Admin Moderator

What is the wing span on that aircraft? It's really amazing looking. And do you really have sponsors for all those decals?

18. Mar 13, 2017 #3378

thepamster

thepamster

thepamster

I personally wouldn't know anything about either of those two things. Lol.

19. Mar 13, 2017 #3379

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

Angie, it is a scale scheme. Google Matthias Dolderer VW scheme edge 540. I am sponsored by www.milehighrc.com, Aeroplus, and Bull Engines.

Wingspan is 111" 2.8M or 9'3".

Attached Files:

Angie likes this.
  20. Mar 15, 2017 #3380

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

After hating drones (for obvious reasons) for years, my dad wants to start a "drone" business. Our first lesson is that software is the real cost. The hardware isn't cheap either!

We'll see how it pans out. He has the cash for one good setup, but nothing else. The software we want is $8k, and a licence for a year is $3500. Definitely not for the faint of heart. Man, I have so many spinning plates in the air right now... I've got my usual work, moving to TX without a backup plan, sponsorship responsibilities, new career(s), and then I'm working on my part 107. Holy crap!