Brutus Flight Blog

Discussion in 'Circus Flight Log' started by BRUTUS, Nov 20, 2008.

Help Support Team Flying Circus by donating:

1. Nov 20, 2008 #1

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

Plank Junky Lifetime Supporter

Time for a new flight log. The last one kind of turned into more of a blog than a log, so don't expect this one to be any different!

Since there are very, very few giant scale 3D'ers in my neck of the woods I don't get much of a chance to share my passion with many others. The Aeroworks guys a great, and I've enjoyed their company on a few special occasions, but hey, life happens and everybody has stuff to do.

So, without further ado- some nice pictures.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2009
  2. Nov 20, 2008 #2

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

Here are some eclectic pics from my collection, I took most of them. The one of Jill and I was taken by Viper, and the other one of me that was in the Rocky Mountain News taken by a staff photographer. The Yellow Extra with all the vinyl is mine too, and with a little tweaking it is going to be a performer! It weighs at least three or four pounds less then my red Extra. And yes 1bwana1, I borrowed Nat's AJ Extra for the pic- they just seemed so happy together! Here is a classic one I took of Mith at the Vegas throwdown.

And I must admit, I like the flashy lights in my red plane!

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2008
  3. Nov 20, 2008 #3

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

Here's a couple pics of my new garage- this is after tearing out all manner of the previous homeowners cabinetry experimentation. It took me over a month just to get the garage debris-ed and my modeling stuff out of the trailer, and onto the bench and the shelves. I must admit- it feels good knowing my stuff has a new home!

The bench is a joke- but right now I just don't have the cash to make the one I want, but I figure making some 36" deep MDF tops will get me by for the time being. Heck- at least I can charge my batteries now! It's a huge relief just being able to see my planes! I still need to work out how to open up some more wall space so I can properly store my "collection"

Attached Files:

4. Nov 20, 2008 #4

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

Hey- if any body wants to buy a used but otherwise RTF (with some TLC) 29lb 2.6M Comp Arf Yak with a new 3W 106 and HS5945's all around let me know!

I bought this plane for a friend that "really wanted it" and said he would reimburse the ~2K I bought it for if I drove it back to Denver with me- well, here it sits in his living room, unwanted and needing a new home. He decided it was too much plane for him, and he wants to pass on it, with me stuck holding the bag... long story short, It's advertised on RCU right now. It's not perfect, but with some TLC this plane would be totally sweet!

If I weren't so strapped for cash right now I would keep it for myself, but I already have TWO 2.6M Extra's! Please help! Drowning man! Make a reasonable offer! 2K for this is a steal- great way to get into Giant scale!

Attached Files:

5. Nov 20, 2008 #5

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

BUY BUY BUY!!!!!

Rant off.

6. Nov 20, 2008 #6

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

flying dog. Not too happy about his new accommodations!

Attached Files:

7. Nov 20, 2008 #7

Bodywerks

Bodywerks

Bodywerks

Circus Staff

funny! coming back arizona way any time soon?

8. Nov 20, 2008 #8

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

I was just down there doing some work last month, as evidenced by this Bar! No flying though-

Attached Files:

• bar1.jpg
      bar1.jpg
      File size:
      55.3 KB
      Views:
    • bar.jpg
      bar.jpg
      File size:
      104.6 KB
      Views:
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2008
  9. Nov 20, 2008 #9

Showtime

Showtime

Showtime

Circus Staff

That is a great deal on that yak. Post its own thread here comp arf yak cheep.

10. Nov 21, 2008 #10

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

I will- thanks.

11. Nov 21, 2008 #11

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

Hot off the press! Fresh in from the Rocky Mountain News- pictures of yours truly are now commercially available at Pictopia. That's right, for the low price of just $24.95 ($150 framed) you could have one of three limited edition prints of ME out flying on a nice Indian summer day!!

No joke- check it-

http://pictopia.com/perl/gal?provider_id=179&request_id=135396950d

These would look sweet hanging in my hallway!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2008
  12. Nov 21, 2008 #12

Dean Bird

Dean Bird

Dean Bird

Lifetime Supporter

13. Nov 21, 2008 #13

Showtime

Showtime

Showtime

Circus Staff

Ah man there is a waiting list to get one. I guess i will just have to wait..

14. Nov 22, 2008 #14

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

Lol- I know, right? I will admit it is pretty cool that the ONE day I get to go and do what I love I was rewarded with a series of beautiful pictures!

Too bad the series will cost me $50!!! I dunno, I think I will pirate the small ones digitally and make a little low-res collage.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2008
  15. Nov 22, 2008 #15

dkjens

dkjens

dkjens

Ha ha, that guy Ken Papaleo keeps mistaking g for f, what the heck is winf span? Dang, any analphabet can get a job with a newspaper these days.

16. Nov 22, 2008 #16

GmanBIll

GmanBIll

GmanBIll

6th grade reading level Jens, that is all you have to write for.

Hey FB, you going to the cross winds tomorrow morning? If so give me a call, lucky and a couple others were asking if I would come up.

17. Nov 22, 2008 #17

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

Kinko's Digital photo prints $7.47. Super Target "Team Frame" $16.95. A reminder that there is more to life than just work- priceless!

Attached Files:

18. Nov 23, 2008 #18

Dean Bird

Dean Bird

Dean Bird

Lifetime Supporter

Words to live by.

Cool pics!!

19. Nov 24, 2008 #19

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

OK, today I will demonstrate how I modified my airwild bellcrank to maximize an 8711's leverage over my rudder. Once upon a time I was reassured that a single 8711 would be more than adequate to throw the rudder over on my 2.6M Extra- well, I discovered that with a 5" bellcrank the servo was woefully inadequate. After ranting and raving a few minutes how disappointed I was in my new servo Bodywerks asked me if I had the correct geometry. The answer was no, and the only way to fix the problem was a new bellcrank.

First I did some calculations on my phone to determine the correct spread. What I was shooting for was 45* servo travel, and 35* rudder throw. There is a 4-1/4" spread on the control horns for the rudder, and my somewhat off the cuff calculations told me to make my new bellcrank 3-1/8" to achieve the correct mechanical advantage/ reduction. I left the same offset that was on the stock bellcrank, mostly because the same offset is used on my other Extras bellcrank, even though the spread was substantially different.

First I designed the new bellcrank using the old one as a template.

Then I copied the drawing, cut it out, and super 77nd it to a piece of pre-cut 1/16" thick aluminum.

I took a same-sized piece of aluminum and super glued the aluminum sandwich together so I would be sure the top and bottom pieces were exactly the same.

Then I cleaned up the edges, and marked the center of all the holes with a center punch.

Then to the drillpress, and the bandsaw, and the belt sander for fabrication. No milling machines here!

Finally separate the two-pieces without removing any fingers, and BAM! new shiny aluminum bellcrank. It's nowhere near perfect, but the geometry is as good as it's gonna get.

OK- final assembly with maximum servo deflection, and maximum rudder deflection.

I would like more travel, but definitive smaller throw is much better than stalled, non-existent throw. With the 38% increase in leverage hopefully I will be able to dump the rudder in a WOT knife edge and have something happen!

*fingers crossed*

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2008
  20. Nov 24, 2008 #20

dkjens

dkjens

dkjens

Everybody should do this when attempting to achieve maximum performance from their servos, we all know that, don't we guys---------and girls?