BME 116 info??

Discussion in 'Giant RC Plane Forum' started by Sevans16, Jan 2, 2010.

Help Support Team Flying Circus by donating:

1. Jun 1, 2010 #21

dbcaster

dbcaster

dbcaster

As I said, I really hope the issues are resolved. Yes it has been a long time. However, it has taken that long for some people to actually admit that there was a problem with the 115. I can't even count the amount of posts saying there was not an issue with the 115. It was just a tuning issue. Maybe it is time for me to try one again. I like the concept of the lightweight engine and if it works I am all for bolting one on to my plane.

2. Jun 1, 2010 #22

GmanBIll

GmanBIll

GmanBIll

Tom has a bunch out there now, and come on, you want to back DA when on the 3rd flight it spits the right barrel off the plane shearing all the aluminum screws holding it together and say they do not ever have a problem with anything (I have the return invoice still here at the house showing a new crank, cylinder, rod, and many other parts replaced) didn't cost me anything more than the shipping but you call that not being a problem. Don't even get me started on the first run 157s, and I could go on and on.
    When the previous owner sold the company to Tom, he also sold him a line of crap that he was not willing to come up with a fix for. Tom is not some country bumpkin like 10+ is becoming now that he is a Texan, he knows his **** (he can tell you the difference in Bear, Deer, Cow HaHaHa a little humor there) and had to start over from scratch on the 116, also do a bunch of work on the others and I give him kudos for not just throwing in the towel when he was given a bowl of lemons, he just made lemonade and it turned out to be real good.
    If I have not said it yet, if Tom says something is ready for market I trust it with my planes. I have had much worse luck with the Kool-Aid everyone else seems to be drinking and have the pictures of piles of planes that have gone in because the motor decided to spit a cylinder, suck a gasket, or one of the reeds broke in a hover (non Boyecen), but it is the best because someone with a name like Showtime is flying it even though it is a problem child.

3. Jun 1, 2010 #23

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Staff Member

I could add a lot more 3w and DA product failure examples to that cart but will refrain from doing so to avoid being viewed as being anti popular brand name products, which I am not. They make good engines but they sometimes screw up too.

Each product line has an application that's perfect for an individual. The individual only needs to be smart enough to review the various factors before making a purchase decision.

4. Jun 1, 2010 #24

dbcaster

dbcaster

dbcaster

Your right Pat. However, I tried to use my 115 as a boat anchor but it was too light and it wouldn't hold my boat:) I used my 106 instead:)

5. Jun 2, 2010 #25

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Staff Member

I thought you liked that 106. At least I hope so because if it was the one we horse traded for and you didn't like it I would feel very bad indeed.

I would have to agree about the BME being used for an anchor. Even used as a sinker it's too light to get down into good rock cod country;)

6. Jun 2, 2010 #26

dbcaster

dbcaster

dbcaster

Pat,
    The 106 is great. That was just my attempt at humor on both counts:eek: If the issues are resolved on the 116 that would be my first choice on a 35% airframe at this point. It sounds like they are and that is a great thing. By the way, did you ever get the Ultimate flying?

7. Jun 2, 2010 #27

dbcaster

dbcaster

dbcaster

One other thing, DA's make much better rock cod jigs with their shinny case and all.

8. Jun 2, 2010 #28

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Staff Member

The Ultimate is up north with me, still awaiting reassembly. Some pretty serious medical issues related to overseas work popped a few months after we did the deal and laid me out for a bit over a year. One of these days though...

9. Jan 22, 2015 #29

Wayne1942

Wayne1942

Wayne1942

Just a little ,but VERY important BME news ! I recently sent my BME 110 back to Tom for his analysis and repairs and was SUPER HAPPY to have a call from my wife this evening to say I had a large box that came in the mail today . It was my 110 that TOM had repaired and sent back in SEVEN days from the date he received it !! Ladies and Gents,THATS SUPER SERVICE from anyone ! The engine looks great and I am looking forward to getting it back in my BIG Corsair and back in the air . That 110 pulls that 42 lb bird around like it weighs 10 lbs .I take off at 1/2 throttle and fly at about 40 % most of the time,never full throttle . It is a powerhouse ,BUT, it is only a powerhouse because Tom has seen that CUSTOMER SERVICE "IS" a necessity . Thanks Tom. If you guys have been scared of a BME because of scuttle butt , jump on the bandwagon and buy a great engine,with SUPER service ! WP:biggrin:

10. Jan 22, 2015 #30

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man

Staff Member

That is very good to hear!

11. Jan 22, 2015 #31

Wayne1942

Wayne1942

Wayne1942

What oil are you guys using in the BME 110 ? The rings need to be seated and run-in. I have always used Honda HP-2 synthetic in very two stroke I have and had great luck with it.
    Also what mix ratio ,I am using BP racing gas