Balsa USA Sopwith PUP

Discussion in 'Plane Registry' started by In-N-Out, Apr 22, 2008.

Help Support Team Flying Circus by donating:

1. Apr 23, 2008 #21

Gmoney

Gmoney

Gmoney

Circus Staff

I would go with the laser cut (short kit) Yeah you will spend more $$$ but you will save some time in the build.. I have built two laser cut kits man they framed up quick.. the last one I did for an old club member he never finsihed it and died shortly after I found out a year or so ago his kids put it in the dumpster.. Oh Man that sucked...

2. Apr 23, 2008 #22

JBenson

JBenson

JBenson

Circus Staff

Cowl, this project is huge, but you will have fun. Find a kit cutter that already offers the laser cut short kit, or call up Balsa USA and order the whole kit. Having the correct cowl and everything makes a big difference. Fabric and Dope is the only option on a bird like this if you ask me. Also, I like your idea of a radial, Get a Saito 4-stroke radial, it will sound really cool.

JB

3. Apr 23, 2008 #23

In-N-Out

In-N-Out

In-N-Out

previously Cowlhead

Balsa USA offers the kit, but it does not say if it comes with the cowl. I will call them today to see.

4. Apr 23, 2008 #24

In-N-Out

In-N-Out

In-N-Out

previously Cowlhead

Radial is the only way to go. I know I will be enlisting of the circus crew to help out on this project.

5. Apr 23, 2008 #25

Gmoney

Gmoney

Gmoney

Circus Staff

6. Apr 23, 2008 #26

In-N-Out

In-N-Out

In-N-Out

previously Cowlhead

I am going to order the kit from Balsa USA they include the pre-bent landing gear wires, flying wires, and hardware. I will keep you guys posted on my progress.

7. Apr 23, 2008 #27

david010567

david010567

david010567

aka Schlawiener

Get to work Cowl... Before you know it... Your shop vac will look like mine! :eek:

Attached Files:

8. Apr 23, 2008 #28

Stubbs

Stubbs

Stubbs

WTF

Balsa usa sells the solartex it is pretty nice. You would probably need a 10 meter roll. If you talk to balsa usa they will tell you exactly how much you will need.

9. Apr 23, 2008 #29

kaveman

kaveman

kaveman

i bet more than 10 lol

10. Apr 23, 2008 #30

Stubbs

Stubbs

Stubbs

WTF

If I remember correctly the stearman did not require much more than 10..

11. Apr 24, 2008 #31

In-N-Out

In-N-Out

In-N-Out

previously Cowlhead

Wow. How do you scale build something? I know people take a full scale plane and base it off of that. Is there more to it than that?

12. Apr 24, 2008 #32

Stubbs

Stubbs

Stubbs

WTF

I have learned quite a bit about scale while doing my p-38, the first thing is to get a kit with a fairly scale outline, the Balsa USA stuff is usually pretty good as far as I understand. The second is to find a plane that you want to scale it after. One of the biggest lessons I have learned with my P-38 is plan, plan, plan! A pup is a little more strait forward than a ww2 warbird in that there is no flaps, retracts etc. the level of scale that you choose to do is up to you. Probably one of the best pieces of advice that I have gotten was from dennis crooks (multiple time scale masters champ) is that there is no excuse for not getting a perfect static, if you don't like the way it is done, re do it. You should give carl a call as he has competed in scale masters in all categories many times.

13. Apr 24, 2008 #33

Gmoney

Gmoney

Gmoney

Circus Staff

Dave, that pic of your shop vac is NASTY! My buddy SHOWTIME has/had the same problem but his had mildew on top of that nasty.. Even today turning on his shop-vac is NASTY.. That thing might work alittle better if you knowck that filter off in the trsh can..:p

Gmoney

14. Apr 30, 2008 #34

Gmoney

Gmoney

Gmoney

Circus Staff

Hey this project is something I am really looking forward to watching.. What's up you post pics of the plans and then NOTHING?? Dude I need progress reports.. If your not doing something with it at least three times a week you wont ever finish it.. Come on what do you have done so FAR?

15. Apr 30, 2008 #35

In-N-Out

In-N-Out

In-N-Out

previously Cowlhead

I need to order the kit, until then it is on hold. I will order the kit this week.

16. May 1, 2008 #36

Happy Ending

Happy Ending

Happy Ending

WOW!

Cowl you need a clean surface to start and all the right tools to do this kind of build. I think you can do this but you will need lots of time and glue.

17. May 1, 2008 #37

Rabbit Ron

Rabbit Ron

Rabbit Ron

Circus Staff

I have read thew all of this and I have come to the conclusion that I just can't be bothered

18. May 1, 2008 #38

In-N-Out

In-N-Out

In-N-Out

previously Cowlhead

You know what funny is I haven't even started the project and I have lost complete motivation.

19. May 1, 2008 #39

Gmoney

Gmoney

Gmoney

Circus Staff

I guess I have a problem cuz reading this thread makes me want one too. I even went to the BALSAUSA site today and I think the 1/4 scale Marane Saulner is the bird for me! Nothing like a nice scale bird. In my case it will be semi-scale.. A big twin glow motor or maybe one of those new Evo gas motors.. I could go crazy and maybe find one of those 3 cylinder jobs.. Yeah Too bad it would have been fun..

G

20. May 1, 2008 #40

Rabbit Ron

Rabbit Ron

Rabbit Ron

Circus Staff

See? can't be bothered