Balsa USA Camel F1 Kit Build

Tseres

Whiny Old Man
Spent the morning finishing up the plane. Glued the pilot, guns and the gun sight in. Mounted the wheels and balanced the prop. It didn't need it. This is the first wooden prop that I ever had that didn't need balancing. Made up some ruber exhaust Extensions. Then just as I was getting ready to assemble the plane to take it outside to fire it up the Stencils showed up. So I started painting again. Had to stop and pick up a new sliding door for the back of the house. It will be installed Friday. So I worked late and finished up the painting. All thats left is balancing the plane . Looks like Maiden on Saturday in Muncie. :)

Attachments

Super08

Official DA Fanboy ;)
Lifetime Supporter
Getting close now. Do we get to see the usual run up in the driveway video in full dress?

thepamster

The Mistress of Biplanes
Lifetime Supporter
Oh my gosh, this is so exciting. Great timing on the stencils. I don't think I would have wanted to see her outside without all the markings.
I wish I could be there to see the maiden. I know you'll get video.
Looking forward to seeing her on the grass.
Can you do the run up in the yard? Lol.

Tseres

Whiny Old Man
The Start up video is getting to be routine. :) I always do it to set the needles. I just sometimes don't take video. I'll do it this time. As a matter of fact. I'm planning on making noise today. Camel, D-VII, Sukhoi and P-47 are all on the Agenda. We'll see how it goes. That is a lot of assembly and dis assembly.

Tseres

Whiny Old Man
Aint it pretty? But if it don't run then it doesn't matter. Got spark to the cap but the plug wont fire once the plug is all the way in. Soon as the side of the plug touches the plug cap, there is no spark. No Idea whwere to go from here. I'll have to send the ignition back to Horizon/ frown emoticon. :(
No Maiden Saturday. :( :( :(

Attachments

Tseres

Whiny Old Man
Quick Update:

Ordered a new ignition today. My friend Bill thinks he can fix this one. When I described the problem to him. Right away he said the problem is in the plug cap. I'll let him fix it then he can show me what he's doing and I'll learn something. :)

thepamster

The Mistress of Biplanes
Lifetime Supporter
What an awesome looking plane you have built Tom. I am so envious of what you will see when those two wings are silhouetted against the horizon.
To me this is what separates biplanes from all other aircraft. The visual enjoyment of you get by just watching the plane fly. Or maybe its just me. Lol.

Tseres

Whiny Old Man
No it's not just you Pam. I kind of evolved into it by accident. I bought some indoor foamies to fly with the guys. one of the Guys was Steve Percifield. He Started the Hoosier Dawn Patrol. They were flying around in Circles having as much fun as anyone I ever seen fly aerobatics. By the time spring came around I was wanting a WWI biplane. Seen a few flying that Summer. One of the guys in my club competes in scale and was always bringing a WW1 plane out to the field. You guys know the rest. By the end of the Summer I bought the Fokker kit. going to one Dawn Patrol got me hooked. It's the most fun I ever had at any event. All I can say is they are Majestic Flying Machines.

Now I'm hooked.

Tseres

Whiny Old Man
Got the Engine on the Camel started. Running good but I still need to tweak the needles.
We have a storm coming through right now. Had to cut it short. We'll finish it tomorrow. I'll get some obligatory start up video then.

Super08

Official DA Fanboy ;)
Lifetime Supporter
Now it is a waiting game to go fly it. Oh well you could go back and work out the issues on the P47 if the weather is crappy.

Tseres

Whiny Old Man
I have the engine running pretty good. I you want to see it run. go to FB. I don't know how to upload video from my computer. I can't post to You Tube anymore. It says I up loaded the video but I can't find it anywhere. Had a workaround that worked a few times but now that don't work either. Updating my computer didn't work either.

Tseres

Whiny Old Man
Got 4 flights with the Camel today. First flight the engine was a little rich. Fixed it and had 3 more great flights. As the afternoon went on it became a fly in and we covered the Dawn of Aviation to the Jet Age.
What a fun Day. I'm very happy with the plane. The home made muffler makes the ZP-38 sound different but when I throttle back it sound kind of like the old radials. The plane only took some down trim. Not much and one click to the right. Easiest maiden I've had since the Fokker.
Few pictures of Greg Gregory Hahns' Gotta. Don't know if I spelled it right. Then the comparison of the two planes, both 1/4 scale.

Take off and Landing videos on FB.

Attachments