Austro Hungarian Albatros D-III Scratch Build

Discussion in 'Plane Kits & Frames' started by Tseres, Aug 26, 2016.

Help Support Team Flying Circus by donating using the link above.
  1. Mar 23, 2018 #481

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

Thanks to you who followed me here on Circus. Doing a build thread keeps me motivated to work on a long project like this. Consider your self a part of this build.
    I'm pretty much off the other RC sites other then FB and I don't know how long I'll stay on there. This is where you'll see my posts if you want to.Don't know what my next project will be but being retired you know there will be one.

The next post on here will probably be from the Toledo Expo. I'm taking this Albi to show because some of my friends asked me to. If your going there then come and say hi to me.

kwilson likes this.
  2. Mar 23, 2018 #482

Super08

Super08

Super08

Official DA Fanboy ;) Lifetime Supporter

She is a beauty Tom, I sure hope it flys as good as it looks.

Tseres likes this.
  3. Mar 23, 2018 #483

thepamster

thepamster

thepamster

The Mistress of Biplanes Lifetime Supporter

I feel better now that I have seen the glue on your prop hub balancing because that is exactly what mine look like. I wasn't sure how well I did it. I didn't used to balance the hub at all.

That prop looks awesome on that plane Tom, a real finishing touch. Good luck with it at Toledo. I believe it will undoubtedly be the talk of the show, as it should be.
    Thank you so much for sharing this project with all of us. I can't wait to see this plane just taxi on the grass and then of course in the air.

Tseres likes this.
  4. Apr 9, 2018 #484

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

Back from the Toledo Show. Got third place. I'm very happy with it. Learned a lot about scale competition. It's a different world then what I built the plane for so 3-rd is a great spot to finish. Next is to start up the engine and make sure it's set right then the maiden. Don't know when that will be. It depends on Weather. I'll try and get video. I will post it here.

Attached Files:

kwilson and thepamster like this.
  5. Apr 9, 2018 #485

Super08

Super08

Super08

Third place for a first time competitor is pretty incredible. Just goes to show just how good you really are.

6. Apr 9, 2018 #486

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

Thanks Doug. Scale Competition is a different animal. You have to have your documentation fist then build the plane to it. The one that can match it the best will win.

Sounds simple but it's not. I got lucky and made friends with a guy who owns Scale Documentation Services. He's a friend of a friend of mine. You guys know how that works. He went over my plane with me as a judge would and told me what the judges look for. He's also a judge. Then he explained the documentation. The downfall I had was that my plane was close but not 100% to documentation. Then he said that the craftsmanship is excellent and why am I not competing in scale? I told him that I thought it would take the fun out of building. But thinking about it for a little bit, I may have changed my mind.

My next project is a 110" W.S. Wendell Hosteler Chipmunk. Building 2 at a time. One for me and one for my Friend Greg. It's a kit build and we're waiting on the kits to be mailed to us. Yes there will be a build thread here.

thepamster likes this.
  7. Apr 9, 2018 #487

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

I was in the middle of typing a message and it disappeared. THis was it but I eraced it

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  8. Apr 9, 2018 #488

Super08

Super08

Super08

Cool the Chipmunk is one of my favorites. :)

Tseres likes this.
  9. Apr 9, 2018 #489

Karolh

Karolh

Karolh

Ditto that but like the P51D Mustang I just have not gotten around to building one yet, but hopefully one of these days.

Tseres likes this.
  10. Apr 9, 2018 #490

thepamster

thepamster

thepamster

Congrats on placing 3rd Tom. Those 1st and 2nd place guys probably all they do is scale build. This project was 1st place in my book. Now lets get that plane ready for what you built it for, flying.:thumbsup:

Tseres likes this.
  11. Apr 23, 2018 #491

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

Got the maiden in on Saturday. Plane flew great. Had to give it a little bit of up and a little right trim and that's it. I was pretty wound up during the maiden. When I landed I didn't correct with aileron and wing tipped it. Didn't hurt it any. The cross wind just tipped it a little. I'm in maintenance mode with the plane. Have to double check the nuts and bolts make some adjustments to the rigging cables. Thursday should be a good flying day. I'll try to take it out again and get some video.

Here are a bunch of pictures my friend Jenni Alderman took. Enjoy. I Did. :)

thepamster likes this.
  12. Apr 23, 2018 #492

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

More picks. They are not in order but /i don't think it matters. :)

kwilson and thepamster like this.
  13. Apr 23, 2018 #493

Super08

Super08

Super08

Those are fantastic Tom, You really appreciate the size in the picture of you pushing it.

Tseres likes this.
  14. Apr 23, 2018 #494

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

It came out to 41.25 lb on a digital scale dry.

15. Apr 23, 2018 #495

thepamster

thepamster

thepamster

Now THIS is the best of the Flying Circus!!!
    Wow those pictures sure look nice over here on this site. Well, they look good over yonder as well. You know what I mean.

Tseres likes this.
  16. Apr 23, 2018 #496

thepamster

thepamster

thepamster

It is really hard to beat the look of a biplane in the air. She looks just fantastic Tom.

Tseres likes this.
  17. May 1, 2018 #497

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

I've had a problem loging into F/C. Had to finally change my password.

Up till now I have 2 flights on the Albi. Had to fix a Geometry problem with the Choke push rod. I used the linkage that was on the engine thinking it will work but I was Wrong. Hate being wrong. Took the plane apart to change the angle of the push rod to the Choke servo.. I think this is still marginal but cycling it about a 100 times seems to work.

THe weather is going to suck for flying for the next week so no flying for a while. The good news is that it warmed up and the 2 flights I had on the plane showed me that the plane flies great. Still need to adjust throws on the flying surfs but it will have to wait. The first Dawn Patrol is less then 2 weeks away.

18. May 7, 2018 #498

thepamster

thepamster

thepamster

TFC has apparently changed the web site design. I am now a Lifetime supporter somehow, just like Doug. And I didn't have to do anything.:)
    I have a feeling though that when my renewal actually comes up here this summer my lifetime support will be over. Lol.

19. May 20, 2018 #499

jaguar bone

jaguar bone

jaguar bone

Congrats on your placement award Tom! This project was 1st place in my book also., Exquisite.
    Documentation of one's labor should be allowed in the documentation as one's techniques too, has been simply phenomenal to monitor!

1 person likes this.
  20. Jun 15, 2018 #500

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

I try to log in but the system won't let me. I hope this goes through.

I've mad a bunch of changes in the ducting of the engine. It's been overheating. Last Saturday, just by chance I grabbed the prop hub and twisted it back and fourth. I felt some scraping. I ordered a new engine and I'll be sending the current engine in for a re build. If I can post this then I'll try to post some of the pictures with the changes.