Austro Hungarian Albatros D-III Scratch Build

Discussion in 'Plane Kits & Frames' started by Tseres, Aug 26, 2016.

Help Support Team Flying Circus by donating using the link above.
  1. Mar 1, 2018 #461

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

Finished up the Cam Cover in the front of the engine. I didn't know how I was going to do it when I started. Had a printed picture of the cover approximately the size I needed. glued it on a piece of ply and started cutting it out with the scroll saw and finished carving by hand with the Exacto blades I got as a Christmas present.
    You know the saying scale builders have. It goes. We are never finished with putting scale detail in our models. We just stop working on it.

Its time to stop and finish this thing.

Fit the engine cover to the new exhaust and put the clearance in for the radiator tubes. Had to re size the front tube to fit this engine.

Attached Files:

thepamster likes this.
  2. Mar 1, 2018 #462

thepamster

thepamster

thepamster

The Mistress of Biplanes Lifetime Supporter

Well it's official. This is by far the best scale project I have ever followed. The fact that it is the only "scale" project that I have fully followed is irrelevant.:)
    I really do think that you have outdone yourself with the engine portion of this build Tom.
    OK, you have outdone yourself with this complete build. I am certain you will win awards for this project, and rightfully so.
    I cannot wait for this plane to be maidened. Are you going to maiden it yourself? I know I would be nervous as all get out with all of the work that went into it. However, that would be quite the rush as well, just multiplied by a factor of 10.

Tseres likes this.
  3. Mar 2, 2018 #463

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

Thanks Pam. I got over being scared to maiden a plane about 8 yes ago. I had a friend of mine maiden my planes and he wrecked 2 of them in the same year. I made up my mind that I can do at least as well as he did. ��. I gained a lot of confidence flying INAC. Since then I feel that if I fly it and wreck it then so be it. I can’t seccond guess what I would have done differently.

thepamster and Super08 like this.
  4. Mar 6, 2018 #464

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

I finished the top and back of the engine today. Tried my best at weathering it. Didn't turn out to bad for my first try at building an engine.
    Also finished painting the engine cover. Things are wineding down. Just have to make the windshield and construction will be finished. :)

Attached Files:

Super08 likes this.
  5. Mar 6, 2018 #465

thepamster

thepamster

thepamster

That engine looks amazing. ItÂ’s hard to believe how much of that is just wood. Incredible.

Tseres likes this.
  6. Mar 6, 2018 #466

jaguar bone

jaguar bone

jaguar bone

Blown away at the precise details you are taking this project to.
    You really should include a shipping crate in your build list to bring your project to Lakeland Fl. (and other locations) to clean up the Masters Scale competitions.

Tseres likes this.
  7. Mar 6, 2018 #467

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

I am going to Lakeland in a couple of weeks for a jet competition with a friend of mine. Just to watch. Some friends of mine are competing. I think we'll be there the 17th. Only staying the weekend.

I'm planning on having the Albi at Toledo for those of you that want to see it and is going to attend there.

8. Mar 7, 2018 #468

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

I changed out the receiver to my new one. The one I was using goes into my Ducted fan jet Viper.
    Finished setting up the pull pull cables to the back of the plane. It's ready to go.
    Pot the plane together to finish up the flying wires. I set the tension. It's easier with turn buckles. :) Now I have to finish up Safety wiring the turn buckles.
    Still have to make a windshield. I'll have that done by the end of the week.

I took another picture of the plane put together just because I had the phone in my hand. :)

Attached Files:

9. Mar 7, 2018 #469

Super08

Super08

Super08

Official DA Fanboy ;) Lifetime Supporter

Nice job with the safety wire.

10. Mar 7, 2018 #470

kwilson

kwilson

kwilson

Gold Member

Yes and what an awesome build! Thanks for keeping us updated. I would love to see video of the maiden if you are able.

11. Mar 7, 2018 #471

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

I'll try to get one. Sometime its hard to get someone to take a vid for you and me. They all want to watch. :)

12. Mar 7, 2018 #472

thepamster

thepamster

thepamster

Yes, even the turnbuckles and wiring are beautiful.

Duct Fan Viper???????? Whaaaaaaaat????????:eek:

13. Mar 7, 2018 #473

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

Yes Pam. Low and fast. Albi is low and slow. :)

Attached Files:

thepamster likes this.
  14. Mar 7, 2018 #474

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

I made up the step and the windshield and mounted it.

Set up the transmiter and set the throws on the flying surfaces.

Looked around for something else to do and I couldn't find anything. :)

Guess I'm finished till I get my prop and some more screws for the exhaust on the engine. Then it's ready to go.

Attached Files:

15. Mar 7, 2018 #475

thepamster

thepamster

thepamster

Well that seems like a small windshield. Was there a glass shortage back then?:biggrin:
    Maybe it's just the picture and or the angle.

I am thoroughly enjoying that step.:thumbsup:

kwilson and Tseres like this.
  16. Mar 8, 2018 #476

kwilson

kwilson

kwilson

Gold Member

lol! Just enough to keep the grease and oil out of his eyes!

Tseres and thepamster like this.
  17. Mar 8, 2018 #477

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

It was a small windshield. A little bit goes a long way at 100mph. :)

thepamster likes this.
  18. Mar 23, 2018 #478

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

I finished up the Albi. Picked up my scale prop in Florida while I was there last weekend. I did a little how to on what I think you need to do to mount a new wooden prop. If you're interested look me up on F/B at Tamas T Seres.
    Here are a few pictures from that post.

19. Mar 23, 2018 #479

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

This is a copy and paste from F/B. Thought it would be easyer then rewriting the whole post.

I finished up the Albi today. The last step was the prop. Steve Thomas at Bobs Hobby Center brought me this beautiful Xoar WW-I prop to red flag. We discussed it and I was going to dirty it up. It looks so good and I didn't have the heart. It'll dirty up with the rest of the plane.
    I'm going to take the opportunity to show some of my friends what it takes to mount a new prop. "Hint." Maybe you can learn enough to do your own. :)

The first thing you do is Clock the drill jig. this mean you locate the screw holes to be about 45* from vertical on the compression stroke so you can flip the prop by hand to start your engine.
    Drill the prop then wick some thin CA to harden up the fibers of the wood. Skip that on Carbon props. Because the glue will swell the wood. Run the drill through it again to open up the hole again so your bolt will fit.Use a countersink tool to chamfer the the hole on both sidedes of the prop. this should remove the ridges . Drilling the prop is complete.
    I always put new prop bolts in on a new build. Background on bolts. The bolts have 100% holding power at one time the diameter in steel and two times the diameter in Aluminum. That means that a 5mm bolt will have to go 10mm deep into the prop hub to hold. That doesn't mean you shouldn't have more. I use all the thread I can without bottoming out the prop. I measured 3/4 in or 20mm of thread was a good dept and plenty of thread to hold. You have to remember that the wooden prop will crush under the pressure of the bolts so leave yourself a 1/4 in or 6mm extra thread before bottoming out.I also put a #10 stainless lockwasher on each bolt to help the bolts stay tight. #10 washer is about the same diameter as a 5mm bolt.
    The next step is to balance the prop. There is no such thing as a balanced prop until you check it. you have 2 things to balance on a prop. One is the blade. you do this horizontally. Spray some clear coat on the back side of the tip of the blade till it's balanced. Next is the Hub. You do this by placing the prop at 45* and the heavy side will pull your prop around. Add CA or epoxy to the lighter side. The prop should stay where you put it on the balancer and not move. Now you have a balanced prop.
    PS. You balance the prop after weathering if you choose to weather it. After drilling the holes and don't forget to put the glue side on the hub down so people cant see it til they look close.

Thanks to my friends who gave me answers and building tips. You know who you are.

Thanks for sticking with me through the build. I will have the Albi at Toledo if you want to see it in person.

Attached Files:

thepamster likes this.
  20. Mar 23, 2018 #480

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

More picks.

Attached Files:

thepamster likes this.