Austro Hungarian Albatros D-III Scratch Build

Discussion in 'Plane Kits & Frames' started by Tseres, Aug 26, 2016.

Help Support Team Flying Circus by donating using the link above.
  1. Nov 23, 2017 #241

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

I did some Layout work and put the panel lines on the fuse with some 1/32 Chart tape I got from Amazon. I'll put about 6 or 7 layers of primer just on the tape. then you wet sand the tape till you sand all the primer off of it. you can then pull the tape off and it will leave a depression and show a line. You can very lightly sand the lines to get rid of the ridges. If you get to aggressive with sanding the line will disappear.

Attached Files:

2. Nov 23, 2017 #242

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

3. Nov 23, 2017 #243

Super08

Super08

Super08

Official DA Fanboy ;) Lifetime Supporter

Enjoy!!

4. Nov 30, 2017 #244

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

Decided to go with trying to simulate nail heds. Not easy work. Had 2 options that I could find out about. one was to take straight pins. Cut them up short. Pre Drill the holes and glue in the pins. This seemed like more trouble then it was worth. so I went with option #2 which was glue drops. I experimented with an empty CA glue bottle and the tips for the thin C/A. I found that if I cut the tip just right the wood glue is easy to control. This was a piece of cake till I had to sand the glue to simulate the flat head of the nails. Turns out the glue sands hard. Once the glue dries, the outside get hard coating on it but the inside stays rubbery. Coarse sand paper also has a tendency to pop off the glue drop. Sanding the glue with 220 seems like a good coarseness to sand with.
    That's it. Now its just elbow grease. :)

Attached Files:

5. Nov 30, 2017 #245

thepamster

thepamster

thepamster

The Mistress of Biplanes Lifetime Supporter

That looks really great Tom. Did I miss the part where you showed how you equally spaced the nail heads?

6. Nov 30, 2017 #246

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

Couldn’t find any documentation on it. Found a full scale build on the net and counted screws and devided the distance. It came out o 1/2 inch.

7. Nov 30, 2017 #247

Super08

Super08

Super08

You have incredible patience.

Tseres likes this.
  8. Dec 3, 2017 #248

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

I don'r always have patience. I did learn to control the outbursts that come with no patience. :)

I discovered last week that the Albatros D-III came with wing fairings. I had to sand down all the primer that I had underneath where the Fairings go. Then I was ready to copy the full scale reproduction I found and you can google this, "Craft Lab Albatros" and you to can look at the reproduction in detail.

I'm happy with how it turned out. Now I will have to rework the bottom of the lower wing center section to make it look as good as the fairings look. :)

Attached Files:

9. Dec 3, 2017 #249

thepamster

thepamster

thepamster

Well dammitt Tom that is about the coolest f’n thing I have seen today.
    This is really good stuff and I don’t know about everyone else but I am totally focused on this build now.

10. Dec 3, 2017 #250

Super08

Super08

Super08

Pam you have a way with words, I was thinking about the same.

11. Dec 3, 2017 #251

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

LOL. Thanks. It does help to keep interest when your friends are patting you on the back.

You're great moral support!

12. Dec 6, 2017 #252

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

I brushed on the base coat on the upper part of the fuse. The bottom will be a grayish lite blue. I also practiced the Mottle Camouflage. Putting it on with a sponge from Hobby Lobby. It seems easier then I first thought.

Attached Files:

13. Dec 6, 2017 #253

thepamster

thepamster

thepamster

Well that just looks like a dirty floor Tom. But if you say it is some kind of camouflage, heck I believe you.:)

Tseres likes this.
  14. Dec 8, 2017 #254

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

I'm moving right along. Covered the Stabs yesterday and made up some rib stitching out of necessity. The stitching I ordered hasn't showed up yet and I feel the need to keep going. A friend of mine has been diagnosed with Stage 4 cancer. Don't know what it's called but it's a lump by the base his tong. He has to get a feeding tube, Chemo and radiation treatment. It will take 6 mos. for him to start feeling better is what I was told. However I know what stage 4 means and its not to good. So I've been keeping busy to keep my mind off of it. The Plane is moving fast.
    Making the rib stitch wasn't that hard. I know that I needed 1 in spacing on the stitch. The full scale use a 3 in spacing. I just layed a couple of strips of masking tape upside down and taped the 2 ends to the building board. Put some markings down on the board and stuck some chalk line to the tap at 1 in. intervals. I save the backing from ultracoat. I use this to stick to the tape to help keep the string in place. Then I marked out my 3/8 in. spacing with a straight edge and cut it out with a pair of scissors to get the tape. You leave the tape on the surface you're applying it to then cover it wit a strip of Coverite. I learned to do this today. Never did it before. :)
    I also painted the bottom of the Stabs and Elevator Lite blue. I like to paint at the end of the day to let it dry overnight.

Attached Files:

thepamster and kwilson like this.
  15. Dec 8, 2017 #255

thepamster

thepamster

thepamster

Wow Tom! This looks fantastic. I can’t believe how far along this plane is now.
    Those stitches really give it a special look.

Really sorry to hear about your friend. Yeah, stage 4 is never good.

Tseres likes this.
  16. Dec 8, 2017 #256

Super08

Super08

Super08

Tom I am trying to get my head around the last couple pics of how you made the stitching. Is that a roll of non stick material or covering in the last step before you applied them? I can't tell if they were put on the plane with masking tape or if the tape was removed and they were put on with covering or last were they put on with masking tape but then the tape was covered over with covering.
    Yes stage 4 is never good, it means the cancer was not contained in the location it started. It has grown through whatever it started in and spread into neighboring tissue.

Edit: Nevermind dummy me went back a re read it and you explained the whole thing.... Looks great btw.

Tseres likes this.
  17. Dec 9, 2017 #257

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

Today was very productive. Started out finishing the Stitching on the Ruder. Then I made up a template of the logo on the printer and penciled an outline on the fuse of the logo. Did this so I don't put the Mottle Camouflage on where it didn't belong. Basically so I didn't have to sand underneath the logo before I go to paint it.
    After lunch my vents and inspection covers showed up. I ordered these from the factory because they aren't available yet in the US. They will be mid January from Arizona Modeler. I'n very happy with this and recommend them to those who wish to try them. Very Realistic.
    I still had to make some inspection covers. One for the fuel Dot. That one is on minus the magnet. Couldn't find my magnets. :( I made up the other door for the switch but ran out of time to finish it.

Attached Files:

18. Dec 9, 2017 #258

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

More Picks

Attached Files:

thepamster likes this.
  19. Dec 9, 2017 #259

thepamster

thepamster

thepamster

Oh my.

20. Dec 9, 2017 #260

Super08

Super08

Super08

Speechless....

You are just plain and simply incredible!

Tseres likes this.