Assigning Throttle to a Switch on Futaba T8J

aussiesteve

I am trying to help a budy set up his "UAV" camera. He is using a Futaba T8J Tx to control the camera (and a 14sg for the flight controls).

He is planing on using Channels 1, 2&4 for Pan, tilt & Zoom but he wants to use Channel 3 for his camera setup (Follow me, Fixed etc) To achievethis he needs to assign the throttle to a 3 position switch (Ideally Switch E). (The auxillary channels are already assigned to other switches used for other purposes on the camera).

Anyone know a way to do this on this Tx ? - or any other suggestions that don't include purchasing a differnet Tx ?

All help most appreciated.

Classclown

I don't know that radio at all, I tried helping a buddy when they first came out and got lucky, but about assigning throttle to switch e, what if you set up 3 different throttle curves, switch e is the flight mode switch, so.... set up the throttle curves accordingly to where you want it to be as soon as you hit the switch? I saw somewhere in the manual that channels 1 to 4 are not reassignable. So get around it with doing throttle curves.

aussiesteve

Hmm - that might work - Hopefully he is following this thread.

I tried using the heli Throttle up function but it didn't quite work out due to the TX refusing to switch on because a condition was permanently "abled"

Here is a link to a thread the person involved started on RCG. It explains it a little more on what he is trying to achieve.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2004176

Classclown

Let him know. I don't post there at all. Set up the three flight modes, set a throttle curve for each, just for the use of the base point for each flight mode, no curve, just a flatline so that throttle stick position does not change when he moves the stick. I see he is using the rudder for panning the gimbal. Keep everything else the same, should do what he wants to do.

aussiesteve

Shall do - Thanks Steve (I don't post there either)

That makes a lot more sense - can you tell I have had little to do with setting up Helis?

I knew someone here would have some idea on how it's why it is the best place to hang out.

Classclown

No problem, your welcome. Let us know if it works. With the heli set up, the swash mix tied in with throttle would really complicate things, and it seems that he needs every channel for what he's doing. It's always weird when you're not familiar with some stuff, so don't sweat it. Ask him to post it here too, I'd like to see what he's up to, and a couple guys are tinkering with those things on here, should be helpful. I've been wanting to set up a gimbal on one of my helis too, so am really interested in this stuff, not for FPV, but for capturing great video of my friends flying around. Was planning on using a second tx just for the camera, so the camera would be FPV, but controlled by a second person.

aussiesteve

He is using it for farmland surveillance and he's doing exactly that - using a 14sg for the flying and the 8j (operated by a second person) for the camera. The only crossover he is operating his landing gear from the camera radio. I'll bug the heck out of him for the results next week when he is back in the office.

(You reading this Lance? - join us here - you may be amazed at the level of knowledge that hangs out here - especially with what you are doing).

boranup

Hi guys thanks for all your help in getting this solved - as Radios arent my fort'e its been more of an effort to try and get a base understanding of curves etc. If only the world was simpler :)

From what you are saying is the intent to use the throttle stick to control the 3 modes?

If I can get it working I hope to capture some video of the guys at the local club this weekend

Cheers
Lance

Classclown

Hi Lance! Welcome to the Looneybin.... I mean the Circus!
I'm no pro, and I have never been great at programming Futaba's, but if you check your manual, look up programming flight modes, you should be able to assign throttle curves for each mode. But instead of a curve, just set up a flat line, that way, when you are moving the stick when panning the gimbal, throttle stick position does not affect the movement. Isn't that what you were trying to acheive? The flight mode switch (switch E) will set the parameter (the assigned flatline "curve"). Throttle stick position will be null.

boranup

This is what I am trying to achieve (maybe helps if I explain the whole setup):
On my multicopter I have a DJI Zenmuse Z15G gimbal with a Lumix GH2 camera. I have a Futaba T8J whose sole job is to control the gimbal and landing gear - nothing else.

This is what I am trying to achieve, have the aircraft control with the WKM sorted already:

I now need 7 channels out of my T8J to go to the gimbal and 1 channel to go to my landing gear.

This is what the Zenmuse controller expects:

As you can see throttle is not used but I would like to make use of the throttle channel by assigning it to a 3 position or 2 position switch

Thanks heaps again

Classclown

Ok, you lost me at all of the above... lol, I have zero experience with all that other stuff!!! Haha....

Ok, so what are you intending to do with the throttle/3 position switch set up?

boranup

I have all my switches and sticks assigned as they should apart from the channel currently used by the throttle stick.

I want to use CH3 (currently the throttle channel) for a 2 or 3 position switch. If I knew how to do this then problem solved. The switch will control one of the functions of the gimbal - the exact one though really isnt relevant.

Sorry to be vague with some of this as the terminology is a little foreign to me at times!

Classclown

Well, what ever it is, I know channels 1 to 4 are un-assignable, so go the flight mode route, assign the three separate throttle curves, but you will just do a flat curve as a baseline on each mode, set at different locations for the three modes, and as soon as you flip switch E to a certain position, the throttle channel will go to that one position, but the throttle stick will not change anything (which is why I said to create a flat throttle curve) except for the rudder channel, which will pan the camera.

boranup

Excellent - you might have heard the penny dropping - the only unfortunate thing is I now need to understand throttle curves :)

I understand what you are saying and the logic behind it - now I need to get the skills to carry it out - lucky its late here and I need to do some reading to send me off :)

Many thanks again!

boranup

Reading and playing but not really getting how I would achieve what we have discussed.

If anyone has any detailed guidance (menu selection and inputs) that would be more than appreciated.

Hate not knowing things as well as I should but you gotta start somewhere!

aussiesteve

I still want to see the camera in "Follow me" mode whilst the copter is performing the advanced imac routine :biggrin:

Classclown

Nobody here that knows Futaba can help this guy out??? WTF???
Ok Lance, here's how you draw out the Futaba crowd....

Classclown

I was flying my favorite plane that I've had for years, and suddenly, the plane was on it's own..... all the way into the ground, SPLAT!!! Never had a problem like this, I fly JR, can anyone tell me what went wrong?....... Wait for it....

boranup

LOL love it :)

If I cant get this to work I can just run the landing gear from the main controller, its not as clean a solution but it can be done and is my fall back position.