Aeroworks 85 cc Yak

Discussion in 'Plane Registry' started by Ground Pounder, Jun 16, 2008.

Help Support Team Flying Circus by donating:

1. Jun 17, 2008 #21

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

This picture shows the pushrod. Directionally it is reversed (in this picture) but shows the relative size of the U bend. The “U” is sized to fit into the slot and hole that I have in the side of the firewall. A nice tight fit that does a very good job of stabilizing the pushrod and engaging the choke while minimizing any flex.

Attached Files:

2. Jun 17, 2008 #22

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

Picture of the firewall. Look close and you can see the slot and hole in the lower left side of the fire wall.

Attached Files:

3. Jun 17, 2008 #23

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

Test fitting the 1 1/4” long blocks to the firewall.

Attached Files:

4. Jun 17, 2008 #24

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

Gluing (Gorilla) the side plates to the blocks adds additional rigidity to the mount.

Attached Files:

5. Jun 17, 2008 #25

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

View of the final version of the motor mount. The hole in the side provides easy access to the high and low needles. I use two pieces of straw from the local coffee shop to act as guides. High speed tube is longer and to the rear. Both are easily held in place with a piece of foam for easy maintenance.

Attached Files:

6. Jun 17, 2008 #26

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

Let’s add up the estimated savings:

Eliminate 3 servos and match boxes 8 ounces
    CF wing and stab tubes 6
    No pilot or control panel 7
    Canopy 3
    Tiller tray -1.5
    Motor mount 2.5
    Eliminate choke servo 2

Net weight savings/reduction of roughly 27 ounces.

7. Jun 17, 2008 #27

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

The build article was 22 lbs 11 oz so I should be under 21 lbs with a DA 85. Vertical performance should be somewhere between adequate and OMG.

Rocco said to include the spinner for streamlining and wheel pants to minimize coupling so they will be included in the final weight of the bird.

8. Jun 17, 2008 #28

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

Now for the obligatory glamour shot. Sure as hell not as nice as the ones by Joe Hunt. But then again, my fees are a lot less.

Attached Files:

9. Jun 17, 2008 #29

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

The DA would not lean out on the low end and ran slobbering rich in the mid range. Also there was a gasket leak at the base of the cylinder. I sent the engine back to DA for service. It should be back today so that I can test the bird this week

10. Jun 17, 2008 #30

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

After a couple of initial flights last week I saw that the motor box area had a coating of gas caused by spit from the carb. My solution has GOT to generate some discussion.

After some thought and investigation I came up with 3 possible solutions. One was “Depends” underpants for seniors with weak bladders. Two was a section of a baby’s diaper. The third was a feminine hygienic pad. Well it was off to the grocery store and some detailed research. You would be surprised to know that most women look at you a bit strangely when you ask them how much gasoline their pad will hold……. Anyways the clear winner was Top Care Maxi Pads. Rectangular shape, thin, easily cut to fit and held in place with a couple pieces of wire through the bottom of the motor box.

Very unlikely that they will sponsor any of us in the near term future but just imagine Planebender doing a low, slow knife edge pass down the flight line proudly displaying a large Maxi Pad logo on the wing of his new 40% Extra. Kinda gives you a warm and fuzzy feeling doesn’t it ????????????

Dave is gonna kill me......................

11. Jun 18, 2008 #31

camss69

camss69

camss69

DDD

You probably scared everyone away with your last post....

So.... how often do you have to change it's diaper?

How come none of the pics enlarge when I click on them in this thread?

12. Jun 18, 2008 #32

Bodywerks

Bodywerks

Bodywerks

Circus Staff

Have you properly tuned the engine yet? You need to absolutely make sure you do not tune it 'rich' for break-in. Tune it for max top end, midrange, and idle, then back off the top end just enough so that it doesn't sag on the uplines. If you do this, the spitting out of the carb should be kept to a minimum. Proper tuning will also help to prevent that gasket leak you observed earlier.

And I can tel you that if you are anywhere are ound 21 pounds when it is done, the power will NOT be adequate - it will be OMG!

13. Jun 18, 2008 #33

JBenson

JBenson

JBenson

Circus Staff

I second this statement. Bodywerks had the 75cc Extra and it was incredible at about 21lbs.

JB

14. Jun 18, 2008 #34

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

I had the low speed needle down to 3/8 of a turn so something was wrong. Tony at DA said to send it back. When I pulled the engine I saw the micro leak at the base of the jug so it need to go back anyways. FG has a good thread that covers the DA 85 gasket issues.

I completely agree with you that flying it rich is not good for the engine. Even slightly rich is not a good idea. Typically I get to a good setting as soon as possible (2-5 flights). Ground tuning to get it close then fine tune in the air. The needles are set just in from any engine burble on the high and midrange. The low to mid range transition is the real test once it is semi tuned. I use Pennzoil AC for break in and bought a case of it to help out the local flyers wtih their break in. I learned a lot from Planebender and have watched him very closely as he set up several engines. Flying at the same club with him has been extremely beneficial.

The engine is due back today so I should have it back in the air by tomorrow pending our tyical 30 knot cross wind at the Mather field. This spring/summer wind pattern has been a pain. Our club field seems to have a runway that is 200 yards wide and 30 yards long.....

I will have a few more updates on the engine and rcvr installations over the next few days.

15. Jun 18, 2008 #35

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

Fortunately with the advent with the “equality” movement there are changing tables in most rest room facilities so it is not a major issue. The problem is trying to wrestle the fus into the men’s room. Now that is a challenge.

16. Jun 18, 2008 #36

Showtime

Showtime

Showtime

Circus Staff

How is the Throttle transition on the 85 on a canister.... I have herd that the pits style muffler kind of restricts the engine.

17. Jun 18, 2008 #37

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

I used the Pitts. Seemed to be OK but more testing this week. Wanted to keep it simple and light. Not sure on the cannister. Camss69 use the Pitts on his Sukhoi and the transition seemed good.

18. Jun 20, 2008 #38

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

The equipment install was pretty straight forward. I went with A123s. A 2300 for the rcvr, 1300 for the ign and a Fromeco Wolverine switch to help track usage. I saved a few ounces and have the added benefit of running at 6.6 volts for more torque and higher servo speed.

Attached Files:

19. Jun 20, 2008 #39

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

The engine came back from DA. All new gaskets and the reed update. Just another quick look at the wood engine mount.

Note the ply extension to help support the choke pushrod.

Attached Files:

20. Jun 20, 2008 #40

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder

The engine was reinstalled and everything hooked up. Pretty good shots of the choke pushrod.

Attached Files: