Aeroworks 150cc Yak 54

Discussion in 'Plane Registry' started by GravyGoodness, Jan 11, 2011.

Help Support Team Flying Circus by donating:

1. Jan 11, 2011 #1

GravyGoodness

GravyGoodness

GravyGoodness

Huck-O-What?

OK, just picked one of these up last week (thanks SukhoiKid!), and it seems like parts are coming rapidly for it! There's a little rebuild work to do and some installation. I want to do a build thread to make me feel like a big boy, and to have a place to ask questions to the general public, so brace yourself.

That being said, I'm thinking about the Futaba 9157 servos. 425 oz. is plenty strong I think. I want to run one per elevator half, 2 on ailerons, and 2 on rudder. Will this be enough? This is my biggest concern right now, as I have to get costs on all this stuff.

DA 170, Greve Pipes, Futaba RX. Don't know about receiver batteries yet... If anybody has opinions about any of it, PLEASE let me know! I'm all ears. I'll get some pictures up in the next day or so.

2. Jan 11, 2011 #2

Mark Dennis

Mark Dennis

Mark Dennis

9157's will work very well for what you are looking to do. I flew mine with Hitec 5955's one per elevator, two per aileron and 3 on the rudder. Two 9157's should do just fine on the rudder though as they develop a lot more torque.

Mark

3. Jan 12, 2011 #3

GravyGoodness

GravyGoodness

GravyGoodness

Huck-O-What?

OK, here's one. How far is everyone spacing out the engine for the DA 170? That is if anybody is using that combo. I know it affects the CG, but I'm trying to make a new plate for mounting the engine and I need a distance. It would be easy if the engine was here, but it's not in my possession yet.

And I already bothered Mark about the length of the stock spacer, sorry for asking twice Mark...

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  4. Jan 12, 2011 #4

Mark Dennis

Mark Dennis

Mark Dennis

No problem! The stock spacer block is 1" ,on the one I had 2 years ago with the 170 I spaced the motor out 2" and it was a little much. I did pick up power in the air by moving it out though. I would recommend going to 1.5"-1.75" that will still look good and give you the best performance as well as help with CG.

Mark

5. Jan 12, 2011 #5

GravyGoodness

GravyGoodness

GravyGoodness

Huck-O-What?

Hay Mark, been working on this aluminum mounting bracket after work today. What do you think? Wouldn't Aero-Works engraved on the top be beautiful? It'd look a whole lot better than the wood ones supplied in the kits. And I do have a whole CNC manufacturing facility available at YOUR disposal.....

Attached Files:

6. Jan 12, 2011 #6

james

james

james

you know that would be perfect for some of us that need to change our thrust angles. instead of adding shims we could use a custom made mount like that. would you be interested in selling something like this made to order?

7. Jan 12, 2011 #7

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

Plank Junky Lifetime Supporter

Please don't kill me for saying this- but isn't that beautiful piece of machine work...

Extra weight?

8. Jan 12, 2011 #8

GravyGoodness

GravyGoodness

GravyGoodness

Huck-O-What?

Do I want to? That's what I've been trying to do the whole time!! Seriously though, I'm trying to get something going for myself. I really do have a huge shop where I can make whatever I want. If you have something in mind, PM me.

And Funboy, I'm not sure if it is heavier or not yet, it's still in the planning stages at this point. I actually thought of refinements to this design while I was cooking dinner tonight that will make it waaay lighter while not compromising strength. What I need to do is weigh the wood spacer Aero-Works gives you versus this thing. The 170 is lighter than the 150, and I'm running pipes so maybe the weight will be needed. The webbing on the side is only 1/2" wide with lightening holes, I think it'll be close in weight as is. I hope to have a prototype next week sometime.

9. Jan 13, 2011 #9

GravyGoodness

GravyGoodness

GravyGoodness

Huck-O-What?

Loaded some pics of the plane this morning. As you can see, there's a bit of work to be done to it. I need to make some new formers for the Greve pipes to go through, there's some covering to be fixed as well. It's still a very solid airframe, and the first owner has taken pretty good care of it. It will be a good project for the next few weeks. I hope to have it completed and in the air by the time our club's IMAC event rolls around in March.

I didn't realize how bit this thing really was until I put the cowl beside my 33%!

Attached Files:

10. Jan 13, 2011 #10

GravyGoodness

GravyGoodness

GravyGoodness

Huck-O-What?

OK Funboy, here you go. Refinements. How would you like it if I told you that you can adjust your thrust angles with this motor mount without taking a bolt off the engine or using any shims? I think it'd be revolutionary!! This is all of the drawings you're going to get. Building prototypes next week, I have an appointment for work tomorrow and I'll be away from the shop. There is no way this can weigh more than 3 oz.

All joking aside, I'm going to need some test mules for this, who wants a free motor mount?? Also, what if I could make it vibration-isolating at the same time? I like it!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  11. Jan 13, 2011 #11

KnowCrashes

KnowCrashes

KnowCrashes

Ya got a good bird there. Kevin had lots of wins with that one.

12. Jan 13, 2011 #12

GravyGoodness

GravyGoodness

GravyGoodness

Huck-O-What?

I'm hoping some of the skill stayed in the plane! Looking forward to getting it in the air.

13. Jan 14, 2011 #13

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

Plank Junky Lifetime Supporter

Mas bueno! That's what I'm talking about!

14. Jan 14, 2011 #14

USAF01

USAF01

USAF01

Dude, your gonna start a whole new business for yourself! Go with it, and enjoy being your own boss. I think you have a great new idea!

15. Jan 14, 2011 #15

67fairlane

67fairlane

67fairlane

I would test one for you..need one for a da 100 with 1 inch stand off for my new 100cc 3dh aj slick

16. Jan 14, 2011 #16

Tex

Tex

Tex

Good Job........Thats nice work

17. Jan 14, 2011 #17

Dean Bird

Dean Bird

Dean Bird

Lifetime Supporter

I think you'd sell a bunch of them!! Then someone will copy your work and sell it cheaper, but we'll all know who built it first.

18. Jan 14, 2011 #18

GravyGoodness

GravyGoodness

GravyGoodness

Huck-O-What?

Yeah, I've thought about that. I checked with a patent attourney and it would cost a heap to put a patent on it. I don't think I can cost justify the patent vs. parts sold. I'll just have to hope folks stick with an original that can supply support and custom designs.

In the meanwhile I'm running around excited to get this big bird in the air! :willynilly: I ordered a new carbon tailwheel from AW yesterday, as well as bonded washers and other odds and ends. Have I mentioned how great they are to work with? Friendly and knowledgeable. Ordering engine Monday, and as soon as I hold that 170 in my arms I'll prolly lay an egg. Might sleep with it under my pillow for the first few days.

19. Jan 14, 2011 #19

Full Throttle

Full Throttle

Full Throttle

Are you talkin to me

SWB already makes engine mounts like that.

20. Jan 14, 2011 #20

Dean Bird

Dean Bird

Dean Bird

Lifetime Supporter

I've used the SWB mount. It's probably lighter than 3 ounces but wouldn't have

- adjust your thrust angles

- vibration-isolating (maybe)