Aeroworks 100cc Airframes

Are the Aeroworks 100cc airframes still legit?

• Yep!!!

• Maybe...

Results are only viewable after voting.

ben_beyer

Not trying to start a brand war here but I was wondering if the Aeroworks 100cc Airframes are still considered pretty good?

The reason why I ask is I've always liked the looks of the Extra 260 and I thought it flew great when I flew one 4 years ago. Might have to get one...

Rod Bender

Team Flying Circus
Lifetime Supporter
Ben,

They are still considered good IMHO. Yes they run a little heavy compared to others, but that could also be a plus for longevity of the planes life span.

3D Hobby Shop, Extreme Flight, Pilot are also great options, and usually a savings in weight and $

If you flew a AW 260 4 yrs ago, I can tell ya nothings changed except a great improvement on the cowls having a flush mount with no exterior mounting screws :thumbsup:

GravyGoodness

Huck-O-What?
Not trying to start a brand war here but I was wondering if the Aeroworks 100cc Airframes are still considered pretty good?

The reason why I ask is I've always liked the looks of the Extra 260 and I thought it flew great when I flew one 4 years ago. Might have to get one...
I have a 42% yak of theirs that literally has 3000+ flights on it - I would think that's a conservative number. The only problem I saw was a few loose stringers, which was from abuse more than likely.

Glued them back in and it's still solid as a rock and it's at least 4 years old.

ben_beyer

Someone on another site brought up flutter issues but I haven't really found anything solid to support it. To me, it was always an equipment problem causing it and one guy had the wrong wing tube in.

rcakropilot

What..Weather Sucks Again
I absolutely love AeroWorks. Their products are top of the line IMHO. Yes a little heaver but they are beefier where they need to be. They are primarily designed for IMAC and not necessarily for 3D although quite capable.

BryceSteenburg

"Where would we be withou
You will have to try hard to find a poorly designed and built Aeroworks product. Yes there is a turd in all the manufactures' line ups but Aeroworks seems to have very few. I have yet to say "that should have never happened" with anything I have had of their product. A few times I've wanted to but I deserved what I've done to 'em. :AID: By and large you will not go wrong with an Aeroworks product. No, I get nothing for free from Aeroworks.

Bryce

james

Someone on another site brought up flutter issues but I haven't really found anything solid to support it. To me, it was always an equipment problem causing it and one guy had the wrong wing tube in.
i have had some fludder issues with the ends of the ailerons. and so have some other freinds that i have that also owned the 100cc 300's.looks like the edge might be in the same boat. both with jr 8711 servos and hitec 7955's.they have since sold their planes but i kept mine. all had damaged gear trains. the ailerons can be stiffened up by pulling the covering and sheeting the last half on the bottom. that has worked great for me. my 40%er seems to be holding up well so far with 8911's. the weak ailerons are my only grip with the 100cc planes. it would be a easy fix at the factory and i think they would have a super solid airplane. with a da120 on the front and tuned pipes the 29# weight makes no difference.i would think a DLE111 will yank it around just fine also. hardly any wing rock in harriers at all. very solid feeling plane in the air. i am looking at getting another 100cc plane, really like the edge alot. but if i have to modify the ailerons that might be a deal breaker.

crazyjoe

I had a 100cc 260 and wish I still had it. I have yet to see an aeroworks plane that didn't fly great. We fly at over 5000 ft and weight is not an issue here. Cant imagine anyone being dissatisfied with any of the aeroworks 100cc planes.

james

Did you just use some really thin balsa to sheet the ailerons or what did you use?
i cant remember what size i used.what ever size they use i used that. probably 1/16" i custom cut each piece and installed it in each hole and glued it in. after the fix the ailerons had way more authority. infact i had to take out a few degree's of aileron throw because the snaps became way to fast. even my low rate aileron had to be dialed down some. it took a few evenings for me to do it, so it wasn't to time consuming. i even thought of using the 1/32" sheeting for my 40%er and just cover the entire aileron as one piece. i don't think it would affect anything other than making it stronger.

james

as a side note. if all you do is 3d and freestyle flying i don't think you would have any issues. everything is done at lower speeds so fludder isn't much of a factor. in imac flying were your always at a good speed, strong servo's and ailerons are needed to combat flutter.

airboss

have owned to date 1 TT TOC Yak,2 PRC 36% Sbach,2 PRC 37% Edge 540, and now the AW 20-300 Ultimate.
heres what I have noticed, the construction quality of the wooden parts is superior on the AW but the Oracover, Ultracote or whatever sucks ! mine had lots of wrinkles rubbed in to the point of no repair and they are where its clearly visible on the turtle deck. the PRC planes have had beautifull covering and other than the one Sbach fuse they stayed tight after ironing the seams.
I,m loving this new Ultimate with the DA120 and an HV set-up it scales at 28lbs. and tracks like an Edge and hovers like a heli.

ben_beyer

i cant remember what size i used.what ever size they use i used that. probably 1/16" i custom cut each piece and installed it in each hole and glued it in. after the fix the ailerons had way more authority. infact i had to take out a few degree's of aileron throw because the snaps became way to fast. even my low rate aileron had to be dialed down some. it took a few evenings for me to do it, so it wasn't to time consuming. i even thought of using the 1/32" sheeting for my 40%er and just cover the entire aileron as one piece. i don't think it would affect anything other than making it stronger.
Did you do just one side or both?

ben_beyer

I had a 100cc 260 and wish I still had it. I have yet to see an aeroworks plane that didn't fly great. We fly at over 5000 ft and weight is not an issue here. Cant imagine anyone being dissatisfied with any of the aeroworks 100cc planes.
Yeah, I used to be a member at Love Air. When I moved to Fort Collins from Texas, my planes had a lot less power.